Light-O-Rama Forums

1st time for LOR

Big Al

I have a nice static display with some of the lights controlled by a 6 channel controll box from a department store.

I was thinking of getting a Showtime starter package with a show director.

If I buy the sequences from LOR. Do I have alot of work on the computer to set it up this year.

I would like to write my own sequences but don't think I'll have time this year.

Any advice.

Plenty, plenty of time.
First year I ordered a box Dec 10, it arrived on Dec 12th and was running with two custom sequences Dec 14th!

Welcome :)

Welcome Al,

You will have plenty of time to make a couple sequences before Christmas. Don't stress yourself out and word of advice here, download the LOR software ( Demo version until activated) and get familiar with all the things you can do with it then save your work. Later, when you purchase a controller and the software you will be able to use the sequences you made.. Again welcome and have fun..

Bernie

Big Al wrote:

I have a nice static display with some of the lights controlled by a 6 channel controll box from a department store.

I was thinking of getting a Showtime starter package with a show director.

If I buy the sequences from LOR. Do I have alot of work on the computer to set it up this year.

I would like to write my own sequences but don't think I'll have time this year.

Any advice.

My advice would be to not buy a showtime package, but instead get a PC controller, which is just as easy to use, and controls the lights exactly the same way, and is cheaper. Both work with the same sequences too.
http://store.lightorama.com/diyproducts.html

And can get the starter package at the bottom of that page too.

Can buy a director separately, such as the mini-director.
http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html

If you really can't find the time to sequence to music, you can still animate the lights without music. It is much easier to do. I do this during the week and have the music on the weekends.

It is also helpful to you and us if you include your location in your profile.

If you have a Menards near you, watch for sales or rebates on their extension cords and start stocking up. you're gonna need 'em.

Bernie wrote:

Welcome Al,

You will have plenty of time to make a couple sequences before Christmas. Don't stress yourself out and word of advice here, download the LOR software ( Demo version until activated) and get familiar with all the things you can do with it then save your work. Later, when you purchase a controller and the software you will be able to use the sequences you made.. Again welcome and have fun..

Bernie

yes download the demo right away,its free now and you can sequence today.good thing is when you buy the license all your work will be ready to go

If I'm not mistaken, all sequences that you make with the demo software must be on the same computer that you activate your software on to work. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will let you know.

shfr26 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, all sequences that you make with the demo software must be on the same computer that you activate your software on to work. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will let you know.

once you get the license you can transfer to any computer,I think up to five different computers

james campbell wrote:

shfr26 wrote:

once you get the license you can transfer to any computer,I think up to five different computers

I do not think that is what shfr26 was talking about. I believe he was talking about a sequence done in Demo mode on a particular computer must run on that same computer even after you install the full version on that same computer.

I remember people using shared sequences that could not be altered because they were done via the demo version. It could only be altered on the original computer.

But then again I could be wrong as well and maybe that issue was already dealt with.

You have plenty of time to learn the software and get a couple of sequences in place.

Unless you need your show to run without a computer attached you are better off with the PC package vs. showtime. Like another poster said, it will save you money.

Forums are a good place to get help if you need it for sequencing. There's been some very good threads for newbies. If you still find yourself without sequences you can always adapt an existing sequence and many on the forum are happy to share.

jstorms wrote:

Unless you need your show to run without a computer attached you are better off with the PC package vs. showtime. Like another poster said, it will save you money.

To clarify a common misunderstanding for newbies. A Showtime controller can only run a non-musical animation sequence in stand-alone mode. If you are wanting to sequence to music, then both types of controllers (PC or Showtime) need to be hooked up to either a computer OR to a director/mini-director.

lightzilla wrote:

james campbell wrote:
shfr26 wrote:

I do not think that is what shfr26 was talking about. I believe he was talking about a sequence done in Demo mode on a particular computer must run on that same computer even after you install the full version on that same computer.

I remember people using shared sequences that could not be altered because they were done via the demo version. It could only be altered on the original computer.

But then again I could be wrong as well and maybe that issue was already dealt with.

I worked on all my sequences on my pc then I decided to use a laptop to control my shows.I can edit and save changes on my laptop

When in Demo mode, use only one computer until you get it licensed. Once it is licensed, open and resave each file you have done, this will unlock the files and then you can whatever you want with them. What happens in demo mode if you move files around onto other computers you cannot copy/paste. If your computer crashes before it is licensed, you will have to email your sequences to LOR to have them unlocked. I've been there, done that.

Thanks for all the help. What I really want to know is when I buy sequences how much work is left for me to do?

I look forward to putting up my lights every year, even more so this year.

Thanks again for you support.

That is all up to you. Do you like the it flows in your display?? Is it what you want it to look like?? Sometimes you have to do very little, sometimes it's easier to start over from scratch. The only thing that matters is if you like it.

Big Al wrote:

Thanks for all the help. What I really want to know is when I buy sequences how much work is left for me to do?

You might download a sequence or 2 for free from the site below to start to see how it would match up with the elements in your yard. I am not sure how the LOR package sequences are, but if you think about it these are generic sequences that don't match up to your yard. They can only look so good. It isn't going to be straight plug and play, if that is what you are hoping for. You will probably have to adjust the sequencing to match your display.

http://lightoramasequences.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,42/
or
http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/links/sequences-free-34/

Here is the channel layout that LOR uses for their bought sequences. How well could you make it match up with your display? If not, you might be better trying to find other sequences elsewhere (such as those for free above)

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/ControllerMasterLayoutRevF.pdf

For whatever it is worth, Daryll Brown is who sequenced the package sequences LOR sells. You can find more here in his store (and cheaper) with example videos so you know what you are getting:
http://www.christmaslightshow.com/light-o-rama-synchronized-music-sequences.html

Big Al wrote:

for me I find it very hard to use a finished sequence.my main props are a mega tree arches and mini trees,I have never found a sequence that matches my layout so for me its easier to do my own