• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• Surfing4Dough

• Dan C

• Donny M. Carter

Piracy update! (And no I'm not referring to the toad in Postenkill who doesn't even recognize insults when he reads them.)

My idea of modifying the Dan-Burst failed miserably. It looked like $hit to be precise. (I can't stress strongly enough to anyone thinking of buying retrofit dripping icicle bulbs from CDI: DON'T. Paul might sell many fine items but these are not among them.) But luckily, I had 8 of those Menards tubes so I wound up with an 8-spoke Dan-Burst. Looks just as good as the original! Thanks again Dan for such an easily pirated idea.

George Simmons wrote:

Piracy update! (And no I'm not referring to the toad in Postenkill who doesn't even recognize insults when he reads them.)

My idea of modifying the Dan-Burst failed miserably. It looked like $hit to be precise. (I can't stress strongly enough to anyone thinking of buying retrofit dripping icicle bulbs from CDI: DON'T. Paul might sell many fine items but these are not among them.) But luckily, I had 8 of those Menards tubes so I wound up with an 8-spoke Dan-Burst. Looks just as good as the original! Thanks again Dan for such an easily pirated idea.

Excellent! Lets see some pics.

Dan C wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

Excellent! Lets see some pics.

Of both...so we can make fun! :P

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Thanks Dan, we try really hard! Still ove the Dan-Burst though!!

"Ove" is a pretty strong word. But I do like them a lot. :P

Or maybe you were implying that they are so HOT that you need these to handle them:
0002136350100_500X500.jpg

Here's the pic:

The hideous original didn't last long enough to take a pic.

Attached files 256663=14122-DSCN4022.JPG

Very nice George. So how do you (or Dan) plan on mounting these (and where do you anticipate using these in your display)? Not sure that I have seen these type of lights at any of the local stores around here (no Menards nearby). Very intriguing.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:

"Ove" is a pretty strong word.  But I do like them a lot.  :(

Or maybe you were implying that they are so HOT that you need these to handle them:

Nice!! What's spell check?

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Donny M. Carter wrote:

"Ove" is a pretty strong word. But I do like them a lot. :(

Nice!! What's spell check?
not better than the love glove :D

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Very nice George. So how do you (or Dan) plan on mounting these (and where do you anticipate using these in your display)? Not sure that I have seen these type of lights at any of the local stores around here (no Menards nearby). Very intriguing.

I've been giving some thought to that as well. And the answer is: I'm not quite sure how I'm going to mount it because I haven't yet decided where exactly I'm going to put it. One of the advantages over using pvc (other than the fact that I've accumulated a bit of the stuff just laying around waiting to be used) is that I can just slide it down over a piece of half-inch rebar pounded into the ground. Or I could replace the bolt holding the 4-way connectors together and use a long screw to mount it to a tree or wooden post or something. I could even zip-tie it to the chain link fence... lots of mounting options actually. But first I have to find a place for it.

I anticipate using it as an exclamation - along the same lines as strobes. What I need to do next, though, is to play around with it and determine exactly how many centiseconds it takes for the tubes to light from one end to the other. I want to be able to turn it off precisely after the last LED has fired rather than just shutting it off somewhere in the middle. Also, I need to verify how many repititions it takes before they start to randomize so I know the limit of how long it can be on at one time.

The items are labeled as: 13" LED Shooting Star, from Kurt S Adler. They have a C7 base and are sold two to a box.

George Simmons wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I've been giving some thought to that as well. And the answer is: I'm not quite sure how I'm going to mount it because I haven't yet decided where exactly I'm going to put it. One of the advantages over using pvc (other than the fact that I've accumulated a bit of the stuff just laying around waiting to be used) is that I can just slide it down over a piece of half-inch rebar pounded into the ground. Or I could replace the bolt holding the 4-way connectors together and use a long screw to mount it to a tree or wooden post or something. I could even zip-tie it to the chain link fence... lots of mounting options actually. But first I have to find a place for it.

I anticipate using it as an exclamation - along the same lines as strobes. What I need to do next, though, is to play around with it and determine exactly how many centiseconds it takes for the tubes to light from one end to the other. I want to be able to turn it off precisely after the last LED has fired rather than just shutting it off somewhere in the middle. Also, I need to verify how many repititions it takes before they start to randomize so I know the limit of how long it can be on at one time.

The items are labeled as: 13" LED Shooting Star, from Kurt S Adler. They have a C7 base and are sold two to a box.

Thanks. Would love close ups of your PVC centerpiece when you have a chance (no hurry). I too would be going the PVC route if decided to make any of these.

Here's another idea for the Dan-Burst. Modify the angles and use it as a burst with a cross. Either a 4 or 8 tube burst. I don't have any of these tubes, so I can't try it.

George, you pretty much covered all the mounting options I've thought of except one.

I could easily braze on a washer to use as a mounting point, or even a flat piece of steel that I can slide under some shingles to mount them on the roof. Not sure what I'll do yet.

George, yours look good. If you figure out the timing for a "single fire", please let me know!

Thanks.

Dan C wrote:

If you figure out the timing for a "single fire", please let me know!

This has turned out to be a little more of a challenge than I expected, mainly because after the first time through a burst, the first LED starts firing again before the last one has gone completely dark. So I had to cut back the time it was on so I wouldn't get the first one starting to flash again before the effect ends. But doing that meant that the last LED in the tube doesn't fully light. The time I finally came up with was .31 second.

Next issue was how long between "on" cycles was required to insure that the tube reset to the first LED. The answer is a minimum of .6 seconds. I came across this artifact quite by accident. Anything less than .6 sec between "on" cycles and the tube doesn't always fire from the first LED. I tested this interval out to 30 seconds and it worked perfect.

So then I figured elongating the on cycle by multiples of 31 seconds would easily allow me to determine how long of a period I could run them without randomization and ending with the last LED being lighted. Wrong. I hadn't taken into consideration the overlap mentioned in my first sentence. So I'm still working on that one.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Would love close ups of your PVC centerpiece when you have a chance...

I wish I knew how to attach multiple images in one response - it would make this cleaner. Oh well, here goes:

This one is a close up of the front.

Attached files 257307=14154-DSCN4032.JPG

George Simmons wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Would love close ups of your PVC centerpiece when you have a chance...

I wish I knew how to attach multiple images in one response - it would make this cleaner. Oh well, here goes:

This one is a close up of the front.

Thanks so much.

George, Thanks for the info on the timing. I'll have to play around with mine once I get them finished to see if the same timings work for me.

As for attaching more than one image to a thread. I use an online photo hosting site called Photobucket. From there I simply copy the "IMG" code from below the picture thumbnail in my album. Then I just paste it into my post.

What I wish I knew how to do is imbed a youtube video into a post rather than a link.