Light-O-Rama Forums

My New 64 channel controller

Denise Brunner

This is my new 64 channel controller that will control one of my two new spiral mega trees. The tree is 100% LED, 60 channels of the tree itself, 1 channel for strobes and 3 for the star on top. Did an amp check on the entire load (without strobes) and draw was only 7 amps on all 63 channels. This allows for the wire size, the single power supply and the low power heat sinks. Can't wait to light up tree one this weekend. Controller took a few nights to build, waiting for summer sale to buy the four other controller board for the second set of controllers

Attached files 256238=14079-64 channel controller.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good!

Is the second set of controllers you are buying going to be for a 160 channel box? Bigger is better, right? ;-)

Thanks guys, I think the controller does look pretty cool. But why do you guys always think bigger is better????

Denise Brunner wrote:

Thanks guys, I think the controller does look pretty cool. But why do you guys always think bigger is better????

Its a controller thing...:):D

Bundles of green wire, neatly ty-rapped...gotta' love it.

Great job!

Denise Brunner wrote:

This is my new 64 channel controller that will control one of my two new spiral mega trees. The tree is 100% LED, 60 channels of the tree itself, 1 channel for strobes and 3 for the star on top. Did an amp check on the entire load (without strobes) and draw was only 7 amps on all 63 channels. This allows for the wire size, the single power supply and the low power heat sinks. Can't wait to light up tree one this weekend. Controller took a few nights to build, waiting for summer sale to buy the four other controller board for the second set of controllers

wow, i am impressed!! are you married? if so do you have a sister that is LOR gifted? lol

Thanks, from you guys thats a great compliment. Yes I am married, but I also have an unfair advantage, I own a HVAC / Plumbing firm and have been in the trades since I was 14 (last week, HA HA). Controls are my speciality !!

Denise Brunner wrote:

Thanks, from you guys thats a great compliment. Yes I am married, but I also have an unfair advantage, I own a HVAC / Plumbing firm and have been in the trades since I was 14 (last week, HA HA). Controls are my specialty !!
you are such a hottie!!

therealbigjim wrote:

Any problems with heat or is there venting in the cover?

caniac seems a little hot:shock:

Have not run any amount of time with a heavy load, but with under a 7 amp draw, I am not expecting any heat issues. I intend to run it this weekend with a remote sensing thermometer inside to see where it is at. Also during the show the ambient temp will be about 30-50 degrees cooler so if it passes now, it will be good in December !!!

Going back to being a newbie type question ...

With the PC controllers I had to ground the green wire for all 16 channels ... Did u do the same for this box ... it looks GREAT !

Dave

Christmas lights are a two wire (hot and neutral) 110v system. There is no ground on the light strings. I have a ground coming in the supply but it terminates in the box itself, the box being plastic can not be grounded and there is no place on each individual card for a ground. So the answer is that yes there is a ground going into the controller box, but does not leave the box and really has nothing to attach to.

I have a similar setup (80 channels) for my megatree. I have my supply ground going to the heat sink on the first card, then I bonded all the remaining card heat sinks with braided strap to each other. Necessary? Don't know, just the way I felt more comfortable.

Great work on your wiring and etc, looks fantastic.

Denise Brunner wrote:

But why do you guys always think bigger is better????

because all our female friends tell us that...

very nice job on the box...you put my 64 channel box to shame!!

is the box the 12x12x6 from Lowes?

Chalk one up for us girls, some of us do know a thing or two. I can tell you a ton of mechanic stories. Anyway, yes that is the Lowes 12 X 12 X 6. Hopefully today I will get it outside on the 20 foot tree that has been set up in my back yard for the last two weeks waiting for some computer signals !!!.

But thanks Guys for all the compliments, it actually is an easy task but time comsuming, compared to some of the control wiring I do. If the weather holds up I will play outside in a little while.

Later:D

Denise Brunner wrote:

Anyway, yes that is the Lowes 12 X 12 X 6.

After I built my 9 boxes with the Lowes enclosures, I wished I would have spent a little more money and got some hinged boxes...