Light-O-Rama Forums

A couple recommendations?

massarosareloud

massarosareloud wrote:

Yes, I have visted the LOR website but I couldn't find the listing or picture you mentioned jimswinder. So is my understanding correct that the order of wires goes Computer > USB Wire > RS485 Converter > Ethernet wire > LOR Controller?

If you order the USB-RJ45 adapter ( either by itself or as part of the Starter Kit, it includes the 6 foot filtered USB cable.

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• massarosareloud

• caniac

• JBullard

PAnorthpole wrote:

Secondly I am considering going to a remote director to avoid dedicating my only computer to operate a show. I would be very devistated if I messed up this computer.

Have NEVER heard of LOR messing up anyone's computer....so don't let that be a concern...

if you do decide to go with just a controller and using your PC, go with the Showtime PC series over the commercial one...pretty much the exact same thing...but one is obviously for commercial use

compare here:

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimePC.html

PAnorthpole wrote:

Well I am a new member here as well and looking to take the LOR plunge.

First I must commend everyone here for being such a great help to us newbies. I have learned much tonight from just reading the posts. I am having concerns I am getting in over my head but it looks like everyone here is very helpful.

I have been patiently awaiting the sale and have been signed up for notification of the sale. The sale at the beginning of the year sold out before I could check out.
I would prefer to buy new and start with a basic 16 channel controller and required accessories

Secondly I am considering going to a remote director to avoid dedicating my only computer to operate a show. I would be very devistated if I messed up this computer.
Qusetion 1 Any pros or cons on this method of thinking?
I would like to order the director that is operated with a SD card and capable of audio and remote activation.

Thirdly I believe they make a Show Time with MP3 and director built into the controller. Seems awesome but much more costly for a first timer and I am not sure this is the direction to go first.

I would appreciate any recommendations for a first time user with limited computer knowledge. No one in my area could help guide me into this new adventure, so my training wheels are off and riding solo

Thank you for your anticipated help

PAnorthpole

Welcome to the insanity.

I started with a mp3 mini-director with 2 CTB16PC controllers and the starter package to accomplish what you are wanting to do. No need to spend extra money for Showtime controllers--PC controllers do all the same stuff. I continue to use this route rather than connect to a computer and have been very pleased.

Controllers
http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

Mini-director
http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html

Starter package
http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html

Not sure I know exactly what you mean when you say "remote activation"? If you mean the ability to add a trigger, you can do this with the mp3 mini-director. Or if you mean that it can direct the show without the use of a computer, it can do that too. Or do you mean something else?

PAnorthpole wrote:

PAnorthpole

If you only own one computer, then I would advise against using it for your show. It will be tied up every night while the show was running. Yes, the family or you could use the computer for other things at night, but....... any beeps or chirps or anything else - music, videos, etc from the computer would also be heard by your Christmas show audience.

As mentioned above, the mini-director with a $10 external timer could be a much better choice. I run 30 16 channel controllers plus two CCRs from my mini-director with no problems. I have extra computers, but see no reason to use them for this, the mini-director does a great job.

http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html

massarosareloud wrote:

It sure would be convenient if you could just plug the Ethernet cable straight from your computer into the LOR Controller. But the LOR protocol wouldn't be established, so that wouldn't exactly work out too well :D But I think I understand now.

Not to confuse you but the E1.31 stuff that's coming will allow for just that, but for more money.

For right now, just stay with the USB adapters, a lot less money.

If you are interested in doing the PC control route which I do, go rummage saling. You can find a decent computer real cheap that'll run your show for you. I got my show computer for $5.
When hooking up the controller to a computer, do not plug the ethernet cable directly into the computer. I wiped out the NIC card on my laptop by mistake.

This is my second year. In cold climates you definately want an FM transmitter. Standing outside in the cold people aren't going to stay long if at all. I started getting more visitors when I put up a sign posting the show times.
With a small show, stay with a single color, consider this your practice year. Have a night where you invite your neighbors over for hot chocolate and cookies and give them their own showing.
The comments you'll receive especially from kids is priceless. I even found a note in my front door in early March about how they enjoyed the lights. Your friends and coworkers will think you're nuts working on Christmas year round.
The controllers aren't just for the holidays. Use them for year round landscape lighting, there are a lot of possibilities for this as well.
Have fun and welcome to the madness!

Well I have to agree with PAnorthpole, and I know its been said a thousand times but I still feel I need to reiterate my thanks for everyone's willingness to help and share their thoughts as well as tolerate my incompetence (:

I look forward to completing my setup as well as seeing everyone's faces when I wow them. Not to mention my neighbors faces when he sees how much better my lights are...

massarosareloud wrote:

... as well as tolerate my incompetence (:

Don't worry, we have all been there. In fact, there are several here that will never move beyond that. :)

scubado wrote:

If you are interested in doing the PC control route which I do, go rummage saling. You can find a decent computer real cheap that'll run your show for you. I got my show computer for $5.

I did this my first year. The computer crapped out within two weeks after the show season started. That's when I switched to the mini-director. Rock solid.

If you do get a yard sale computer for use with LOR, keep in mind that the new S3 software will no longer work with Win98SE or Win 2000. It requires XP, Vista or Win 7

Surfing4Dough wrote:

massarosareloud wrote:

Don't worry, we have all been there. In fact, there are several here that will never move beyond that. :)

Hey!!!...Some of us are comfortable at that level!!! :dude:

PaulXmas wrote:

Extension cords! You will need one for each channel from the controller to the element. they could end up costing more than the controller!

Or, another route is to buy the spt cord, and female and male plugs for them, and make your own. Allows for custom lengths, configs, etc.

I'm hoping my "era of incompetence" will be over soon. I had a breakthrough midnight last night with sequencing and since then I have been very proud of myself and hope to have broken through the wall of idiocy.

Also, I thought I'd mention another few options for computers. If you live near a university or high school they often will buy new computer equipment and auction off the "old" stuff for barely anything. Just give a call to the tech department and ask if they have anything you can buy from them or if they have auctions. Be careful though, those computers are going to be in pretty bad shape, kids don't usually take care of their school's belongings.

The other option is convenient for me, I live near a computer recycling plant which recycles hundreds of computers everyday. If you ask they will usually let you snoop around and grab one, some of which aren't terrible. They usually need a hard drive though, and then eBay and newegg are your best friends.

I also highly recommend eBay which I have been shopping on for quite a long time. If you searched "computer" and sorted the results for the auctions which ended soonest to list at the top and limited the total price to $100, you can often get seized or surplus computers with reasonable specs for barely anything. I got a Latitude D620 with 3GB Ram, Core Duo 2ghz, 80GB SATA, and basic nVidia card for $150, and its pretty much scratch-free.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

massarosareloud wrote:

Don't worry, we have all been there. In fact, there are several here that will never move beyond that. :P
incompetent or incontinent?

massarosareloud wrote:

incontinent (adj):
1. unable to restrain natural discharges or evacuations of urine or feces....

hmmmmmm...
some of us are that old!

caniac wrote:

massarosareloud wrote:
incontinent (adj):

hmmmmmm...
some of us are that old!

while others are that YOUNG!!!

You are as old/young as you feel!!

Hmmm...what is that squishy thing in my pants??

*sigh*....feeling old.... :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
massarosareloud wrote:
incontinent (adj):

hmmmmmm...
some of us are that old!

roflmao!! oops! laughed to hard, hate when that happens, brb!!

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
massarosareloud wrote:
incontinent (adj):

hmmmmmm...
some of us are that old!

ewwwww
Bet Lori is kicking herself for "hitting on you"

Arnoldc wrote:

ewwwww
Bet Lori is kicking herself for "hitting on you"

LMAO....

maybe she likes us guys with "one foot in the grave"...

someone has to get my 75,000 LEDs, 35 controllers and 11 CCB's when I kick the bucket...

:)

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

someone has to get my 75,000 LEDs, 35 controllers and 11 CCB's when I kick the bucket...

:D

hey hey hey that guy someone could be me :)

massarosareloud
Welcome aboard everything you have heard here is true and just in case make sure to stock up on extension cords, keep asking questions as there are no dumb question at all.