Light-O-Rama Forums
marsh28

Anybody know how this was achieved?

I use white incan. icicle lights and blue led icicle on 2 channels. On some songs I have one color fade slow, and one flash with the beat and it made a neat effect.
After I watched the same song on video from across the street they looked way different.

My guess, is that the camera got the relection from the house blended in with the white/blue icicle lights.
That might be happening in the video.

Scott

bump until we solve this mystery.

caniac wrote:

I thought it was solved....

one row of lights along the roof line/gutter and icicle lights...

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

not really, lots of speculation but most folks that posted their videos it just didn't look the same. some sort of sequencing trick tied to the bass track of the song.

caniac wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
caniac wrote:

not really, lots of speculation but most folks that posted their videos it just didn't look the same. some sort of sequencing trick tied to the bass track of the song.

I doubt it has anything to do with sequencing but rather environmental lighting, camera angle and distance from which one is video recording.

From a layman's eye, it looks to me that there are 2 rows of icicles. One mounted higher.
One on the gutters and one hanging from the facia.

I tend to think there were three rows of lights, sequence starts on the middle strand, then the top, then the icicles.

If you look at 2:10-2:14 in the video, you can see that he definitely has an underlying set of white icicles since he appears to cycle them across his houseline (lot of extra channels used just for that).

Surfing4Dough wrote:

If you look at 2:10-2:14 in the video, you can see that he definitely has an underlying set of white icicles since he appears to cycle them across his houseline (lot of extra channels used just for that).

I tried to download the video and put it in my video editor to slow it way down and view it frame by frame and zoom in on the lights...but no luck...

will try again this evening...

jimswinder wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I tried to download the video and put it in my video editor to slow it way down and view it frame by frame and zoom in on the lights...but no luck...

Here is a try:

Attached files slow mo 2.zip

Surfing4Dough wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

Here is a try:

And zoomed slow mo version:

Attached files slow mo zoomed.zip

Surfing4Dough wrote:

so what is your expert analysis?

I think I see two sets of lights..one icicle and one rooftop with the icicles being faded off...

jimswinder wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I think I see two sets of lights..one icicle and one rooftop with the icicles being faded off...

Agree. The white lights aren't involved at all (other than for the random flash periodically). The rooftop row is either C9 type or minis that are doubled up (string folded in half or something similar). My guess is that somebody could contact Bill if they are interested in recreating such an effect themselves. It is just "academic" to me. :cool:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

Agree. The white lights aren't involved at all (other than for the random flash periodically). The rooftop row is either C9 type or minis that are doubled up (string folded in half or something similar). My guess is that somebody could contact Bill if they are interested in recreating such an effect themselves. It is just "academic" to me. :cool:

WHAT and end all the speculation? Now what fun would that be?:cool:

Why do you guys have to punish us like this? This sequencing and design is so good I feel like hitting the Format button on my Show computer. I could sequence for years and never approach anything like this. Magical.

So, I've been kind of obsessed with this video and have been trying to replicate the "bounce" effect in it. Last night, I think I finally got it and I'll post a video soon. To get this effect, I used 3 lights strands staggered approximate 4 inches above each other. The top strand is a plain strand of minis while the bottom two strands are icicle lights. However, the harder part was getting the sequencing right (a surprising amount of fade-ups, fade-ins). Again, I'll post both the video and my sequence this weekend so people can have a gander.

marsh28 wrote:

So, I've been kind of obsessed with this video and have been trying to replicate the "bounce" effect in it. Last night, I think I finally got it and I'll post a video soon. To get this effect, I used 3 lights strands staggered approximate 4 inches above each other. The top strand is a plain strand of minis while the bottom two strands are icicle lights. However, the harder part was getting the sequencing right (a surprising amount of fade-ups, fade-ins). Again, I'll post both the video and my sequence this weekend so people can have a gander.
cool, would love to see it. I guess the original poster has been impossible to find.

It is my thinking that he has a set of regular mini's put into the edge between the roof and shingles(1 White & 1 Blue).
He then has at least 3 each down layered Soft White, Blue, White. For the bounce he goes ON the mini's, and fades bottom white up when it hits say 50% he on's top white set full and bottom set off, then fades top ice down as minis come ON.

Or possibly it is set like this
Mini White
Mini Blue
4-6 inch gap
Soft White Ice
Blue Ice
Bright White Ice

Soft White is used for chase around roof
I also think he is only going down to about 50% on Ice before 0% not a full fade down.

So with the gap it could seam like a bump/jump/bounce but I think he has done an awesome job of it. Would like one of the others to test my theory and see if I figured it out.

That also means how to drop from 50% to 0% instantly. I'm gonna play with software and see but I can't check it out with lights yet.

marsh28 wrote:

So, I've been kind of obsessed with this video and have been trying to replicate the "bounce" effect in it. 

I also have tried to replicate the effect. The light configuration I use is different than marsh28's. But I do agree, the sequencing took a lot of work to get the timing and fades 'just right'.

Jim likes to give stuff away....what is the prize going to be, sweetie? :D

LORi P wrote:

.Jim likes to give stuff away....what is the prize going to be, sweetie? :D

there's no greater prize than you!!!! :)

jimswinder wrote:

looks to me like he "pimped" his house and added some hydraulics...  :D

Lolz, nice :) :)