Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody know how this was achieved?

marsh28

I saw this video on Youtube and was intrigued by how the lights on the roof eaves seem to bounce up and down with the beat. My guess is that the effect was achieved by having two channels of white icicle lights on top of each other with one set a little lower than the other. The bounce effect would then just be alternating between the two channels. Here's the video.

Looks to me like one channel of plain minis and one channel of icicles. It is a pretty cool effect. I don't think I've seen it before.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Looks to me like one channel of plain minis and one channel of icicles. It is a pretty cool effect. I don't think I've seen it before.

That was what I was thinking too.

Two years ago I added the ice cycles to my minis. Each ice string was one channel. Never thought to see what they look like alternating them like that. I chased them but not bounced.

Wow! I want to live in the bouncy-house.

This is cool enough that I might have to do some experimenting this weekend. Put that megatree in the garage a break for a weekend and try this out.

I can already hear the neighbors....

I've noticed the effect before in other videos (think some of it might have been noticeable in Holdman's house show). I always thought it was simply keeping a running line of lights (minis) ON continuously while "pulsing" the icicles. Perhaps the "filling in" by the icicles gives the dropping or "bouncing" effect. Don't know . . .

Sure is neat, though. And very noticeable in this video.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

I've noticed the effect before in other videos (think some of it might have been noticeable in Holdman's house show). I always thought it was simply keeping a running line of lights (minis) ON continuously while "pulsing" the icicles. Perhaps the "filling in" by the icicles gives the dropping or "bouncing" effect. Don't know . . .

Sure is neat, though. And very noticeable in this video.

I too thought I remembered that in Holdman's too, but not as noticeable since the icicles aren't the same color as the line of lights, though it clarifies how the effect is achieved. (1:02 in video)

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=440842

paulanator wrote:

Darn, and I was getting my ServoDog board and servos all ready...

That is a pretty nice effect

Don't let us stop you! :P

Or someone could devise a snow tube controller to make the LEDs go down then back up. (Concept NOT copyrighted)

Whatever, it's pretty darn cool.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I too thought I remembered that in Holdman's too, but not as noticeable since the icicles aren't the same color as the line of lights, though it clarifies how the effect is achieved.

I think what makes it more noticeable in the video marsh28 posted is that the lights in question are physically above the other lights. It almost looks like the roof is moving to the music. In Holdman's display, the roof line lights define the upper edge.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
I too thought I remembered that in Holdman's too, but not as noticeable since the icicles aren't the same color as the line of lights, though it clarifies how the effect is achieved.

I think what makes it more noticeable in the video marsh28 posted is that the lights in question are physically above the other lights. It almost looks like the roof is moving to the music. In Holdman's display, the roof line lights define the upper edge.

Agree, and if I recall, Holdman line lights are C9s which might make them more defined too.

The video is of Bill Vaughn's display in Alexandria, Virginia, it was featured on one of TLC's Crazy Christmas Light Shows a couple of years ago.

At the time I believe the roof line was C7's with icicle lights zip tied to them, so by leaving the roof line lights on while using the icicle lights to the beat of the music gives the bouncing roof line effect. It looks his roof line has some new blue led icicles this past year.

I do a bouncing roof line effect using 3 sets of icicle lights each one mounted 9" lower than the one above and on separate channels. Lots of sequencing options with these, it is one of my favorite effects...

Attached files 256089=14065-DSC06040.JPG

Tim Herberger wrote:

I do a bouncing roof line effect using 3 sets of icicle lights each one mounted 9" lower than the one above and on separate channels. Lots of sequencing options with these, it is one of my favorite effects...

got any links to your videos where we could see this in action?

jimswinder wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:

Here is Tim's channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Therberg2500

Very sharp display. I can see the bounce in the Hot Chocolate sequence.

Good bounce in the Amazing Grace sequence at 1:10 in
http://www.youtube.com/user/Therberg2500#p/u/2/7m5stdYsurU

jimswinder wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:

Some of the best footage is still on my computer...:( <---- why does this sad smiley look mad???

I hate taking and editing videos but jstorms links above are good examples along with this one.

Tim Herberger wrote:

Some of the best footage is still on my computer...:( <---- why does this sad smiley look mad???

I hate taking and editing videos but jstorms links above are good examples along with this one.

Yeah...this one seems to "bounce" better than the Hot Chocolate video...

and I agree with the emoticons...some of them don't seem to be working...

:( (also sad)

There is more to it than that, might have to ruffle some feathers here but Marsh28's video seems to be clearly tied to the bass track of the music. it is either two or three strands of light that start at the bottom and go up and then back down quickly during the bass beat. The other video's seem to be tied to the basic beat.

note the same effect. just when i thought i was caught up now I got to go buy more freaking lights to figure this one out!! Note to self, quit watching cool videos!!