Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Way to Store Net Lights

magish01

How does everyone store their net lights so that you don't have to spend all summer and fall untangling them.

I put each set of net lights in it's own plastic grocery bag. I don't go crazy squishing it up so in general they come out tangle free.

My problem is stretching them out to full size. Wife and kids help for short durations and most of the time I'm left to myself. To deal with this I've put two small cup hooks into my wooden shelves. Then I find two corners of the nets and hook them up. Then I grab the two loose corners and pull until it's nice and stretched out.

I use plastic grocery bags for storing all my lights. One strand of lights per bag (except for the reels). Some people will ball them up, but I find that one strand of lights just doesn't tangle up hardly at all. I then store the bags in labeled plastic bins in the garage.

jstorms wrote:

I put each set of net lights in it's own plastic grocery bag. I don't go crazy squishing it up so in general they come out tangle free.

My problem is stretching them out to full size. Wife and kids help for short durations and most of the time I'm left to myself. To deal with this I've put two small cup hooks into my wooden shelves. Then I find two corners of the nets and hook them up. Then I grab the two loose corners and pull until it's nice and stretched out.

I use plastic grocery bags for storing all my lights. One strand of lights per bag (except for the reels). Some people will ball them up, but I find that one strand of lights just doesn't tangle up hardly at all. I then store the bags in labeled plastic bins in the garage.

wow though I was the only one using plastic bags great minds must think alike

I put each net in it's own 2 gallon ziploc style bag. Usually bring it back as unstretched as it will go, then fold in thirds. So far, this has been pretty easy to unfold and put back in service.

-klb- wrote:

I put each net in it's own 2 gallon ziploc style bag. Usually bring it back as unstretched as it will go, then fold in thirds. So far, this has been pretty easy to unfold and put back in service.

I do almost the same with mine, but I "roll" mine up, then fold it in half and put a single string in the large ziploc bag. Pull it out, unfold and stretch, ready to be put back in service in less time than it did to store it.

jstorms wrote:

same thing here. usually the bags from the new lights I bought after Christmas.

I used to use Ziploc bags but I started to get mold in them if they weren't completly dry (I live in the Seattle area so completly dry is a bit of a stretch), I have taken to just folding them neatly and stacking them in plastic bins. This has worked well as I can leave the bins open to air out and dry for a few extra days before I put everything into storage.

I gather up the set at the center of the short side, wrap a twist tie around that point and then store them flat on top of each other in a big-screen tv box that I cut down. As long as they're removed from the box in the same order they were put in, tangles are rare and stretching the set out is a breeze next fall.

I fold them back up and put them in their original boxes, every year they are tangle free and no broken bulbs since they are protected by the box.

I fill up a whole cardboard box with them, with a double layer of newspaper between each set. This way they don't get tangled with each other, but it is easy to store, without worrying about putting each set in a bag.

CKSedg wrote:

I fill up a whole cardboard box with them, with a double layer of newspaper between each set.  This way they don't get tangled with each other, but it is easy to store, without worrying about putting each set in a bag.

I also use news paper. I fold in thirds and place a sheet of news paper in between each fold and place them flat In a storage container.. Seems to work really well for me ...

Stretching them out, then folding them individually has worked for me. I think in previous years I've laid them down in garbage bags, but this past year, they went right into a tote.