Light-O-Rama Forums

channel grouping

goduke21

I just watched the s3 video and had a question. Are you going to be able to group your existing channels or are you going to have to make new channels. For example will I be able to group my current arches together or am I going to have to delete them and then create new arch channels.

Per Bob from another Post: click on the link below

jimswinder wrote:

Hey Bob...

I really LOVE the new Channel Groups option!!

And I'm at lunch and was just going to re-configure my channels, but realized in your presentation that I did not see any option that would allow us to group our current channels...will this be available when we convert over to S3?

I don't want to take the time to reconfigure my channels if in the end, I will just have to redo it in S3 to have the groups I want...

You can drag and drop individual channels into a channel group, but if you've got a consecutive set of channels that you want to make into a group, it's probably a lot easier to use "Convert to Group":

http://www.lightorama.com/LOR3Demo/ConvertToGroup.swf

Note: Expanding and collapsing a group is a lot faster and smoother than it looks in that video. I don't know why it looks slow and clunky in the video - I'm guessing it's an artifact of the video capture program that I used to make the video.

Again, this is the feature I'm really looking forward to using. This is going to be a huge time-saver for me.

Jeff Millard wrote:

There are many possibilities for grouping channels in tracks though. Here's a simple one: Everything white. Another: Everything on the outer boundry of the display, in order counterclockwise. Another: Everything in the yard. Another: Everything on the roof. Another: Bands of everything, diagonally from the rear left, sweeping down to the front right. Just sayin'

Jeff

So Jeff...

Can you have the same Channel in different groups? and if you put an event in one channel of a group, will it be the same in the other groups that channel is in?

Like having copies of channles in tracks today?

Can you have the same Channel in different groups?

Yes.

and if you put an event in one channel of a group, will it be the same in the other groups that channel is in?

Yes.

If you aren't able to duplicate a channel in a single track, then the answer will be no.

The same channel cannot be directly in the same track twice, but it can be in any number of groups that are in the track. Similarly, it cannot be directly in the same group twice, but in can be in any number of groups within a single group.

This video shows examples of channels that are in more than one group apiece:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/GroupParts.swf

Jeff Millard wrote:

Will have to check for you. I can't see the logic in it though.

basically you mentioned the reason in your post...

Everything white. Another: Everything on the outer boundary of the display,

More than likely your "white" will also be in the "outer boundary"

bob wrote:

Can you have the same Channel in different groups?

Yes.

and if you put an event in one channel of a group, will it be the same in the other groups that channel is in?

Yes.

If you aren't able to duplicate a channel in a single track, then the answer will be no.

The same channel cannot be directly in the same track twice, but it can be in any number of groups that are in the track. Similarly, it cannot be directly in the same group twice, but in can be in any number of groups within a single group.

This video shows examples of channels that are in more than one group apiece:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/GroupParts.swf

Sorry Bob...

Guess you had already answered this question when I asked if I could put the same CCB's bulbs into different groups...

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/26822-6.html

Didn't think it through (keep the comments short!! :D) that if you could do it within a CCD you could also do it with any channel...

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:
Will have to check for you. I can't see the logic in it though.

basically you mentioned the reason in your post...

Everything white. Another: Everything on the outer boundary of the display,

More than likely your "white" will also be in the "outer boundary"

Jim, go back and read my post again. These were the reasons why I didn't see the logic in it. The reasons you highlighted, are IMHO things to do with Tracks, not groups.

I guess I am thinking just the opposite now...though I like tracks, now it seems like I will do away with tracks and just use groups...

And I didn't mean for it to sound like you took it..I meant the things you said (Everything white. Another: Everything on the outer boundary of the display) was the logic and reasoning for me!!

Instead of a "Mini Tree" Track..I will have a "Mini Tree" Group...and within that group a "Red Mini Tree" group and A "Green Mini Tree" group and a "Blue Mini Tree" group, etc...

Jeff,

that is exactly what I was hoping, thanks for the heads up.

Jeff Millard wrote:

...and I concur. That is similar to the way I'm doing some things. As I said, there have been some really good improvements. One is: Create your Red, Green and Blue mini tree groups... And group the three groups as a Mini tree group. One channel button, with Children inside called Red, Green and Blue... Like having a file folder, with three file folders in it.

Jeff

Another useful way to group (a little Easter egg), is to group all the channels together and name it "Auto Pilot" Amazing what happens :D

Donny M. Carter wrote:

"AUTO PILOT"? Ya'll are just messing with us now!:shock:

Are we? :shock:

Attached files 255171=13994-AutoPilot.png

Next thing they are going to tell us is LOR is going to include a sky hook to help with the lifting of heavy display items.

Thanks to my dad for that fine childhood mystery!

paulanator wrote:

Next thing they are going to tell us is LOR is going to include a sky hook!

Now that's just silly :dude:

DevMike wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
Paul's obviously been hacking the Beta Section...

And the visualizer has this support built in.

Cool...Rats implanted with BCIs...

I named mine "Jeffery George Bottomley"... ;)

Attached files 255375=14013-MouseBCI.jpg

Jeff Millard wrote:

Danger Will Robinson.....

Attached files 255445=14020-TinFoilHatArea.jpg

DevMike wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:

And the visualizer has this support built in.

DevMike is the dude that wrote the new visualizer! So, if he says it, it must be official!