Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR standalone question

Becky Scott

I am in the process of creating leaping arches that consists of a total of 7 CCR strands. For the layout, we have two poles (with 2 strands) on the outside with 3 arches (with 1 strand each) in the middle. There are a few things I need confirmation on before I proceed any further with the programming.

1. Musical Animations can not be set on a standalone CCR controller - little silver box. In order to run a stand alone sequence it must be a .las file?

2. When I create a new animation, i am only given 60 seconds of programming time. Is there a way to extend this time? I am looking to create a 4 minute program.

3. Will the CCR silver controller download shows? Or is there a set limit of bytes available for download? I am not sure if I can get the controller to download more than one sequence if I am not able to extend the length of time per sequence.

I hope my questions are understandable. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Becky

Hi Becky. Welcome. Interesting questions.

Questions 1 and 3: CCRs are not standalone devices - they need to be connected to a PC or another controller which has standalone capabilities, like a MP3 director for instance. They have no on-board memory for downloading anything.

Question 2: .las files are animation files. When you first create the file a dialog box gives you the option of setting the length of the file. If that blew by you, then in the sequence editor go to EDIT, CHANGE TOTAL TIME and re-set it for what you want.

Hope that answered your questions. If not ask again and we'll give it another go.

George,

I was able to download a sequence into the controller last night? In the hardware utility program I opened the standalone options. This allowed me to download an animation file. Once I unplugged and plugged them back in the program ran. I had to download the sequence to each controller though.

I did bypass the length option when starting a new sequence. But thank you for pointing it out and letting me know how to change the time through the edit menu.
Becky

Well I'll be darned... thank YOU for teaching ME something. I didn't know a person could do that with a CCR, although I've never tried since I don't use standalone and/or animation sequences. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along and can answer your questions correctly.

Becky, as you discovered, the CCRs do have a standalone animation ability. That was how I used mine the first year they came out.

Page 29 of the manual indicates the limit of the internal storage is about 10,000 commands.

George, get back to beta testing the S3 software :D

lol. This is my first year with CCR so I am still playing with all of the options. I am also working on a "billboard" that has 24 CCR ribbons running music and animation from a PC. This is a daunting task but I have been using the superstar program. As far as the arches, we are just using the silver controllers that came with our ribbons.

Becky,

In a 1602 controller with a stand alone, that controller can function as a master. Meaning your sequence would need to be constructed with more than just the address of teh resident controller. If for instance you have 3 controllers, all connected via the Cat5 cable, and you create your animation sequence to have the addresses of all 3 controllers, then you only need to load the sequence as a stand alone into one controller. All this is contengent that you don't exceed the memory of the controller.

I would think this would also apply to your CCR. You would be more likely to exceed the the number ov commands that can be in the sequence if you program the pixels individually, versus using the macros.

Best way to learn is to experiment and learn. I don't think you can break a controller. Never have I heard of anyone breaking one and it not be repaired by LOR.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

I would think this would also apply to your CCR. You would be more likely to exceed the the number ov commands that can be in the sequence if you program the pixels individually, versus using the macros.
Using loops in the animation where you can really saves storage space too.

-Logan

JBullard wrote:

Becky, as you discovered, the CCRs do have a standalone animation ability. That was how I used mine the first year they came out.

Page 29 of the manual indicates the limit of the internal storage is about 10,000 commands.

George, get back to beta testing the S3 software ;)

John, sounds like you might need to help him out with that little project! :D:D

Hey Chuck,

I just happened to have a LOR16002 laying around, so I tried to put it to work. I started with naming the CCR unit's 2-8. I tried to upload my .las file into the unit 1 1602 and was told the file was too big. It was something like 185xxx and the 1602 could only handle 30xxx bytes (or commands - whatever it is). So I guess now my questions is -- am I progamming the CCR ribbons the wrong way? I have macros, loops and pixel programming.

George.....I am now working with a 2 minute program instead of 1. Thanks again for letting me know where to modify the length.
Becky:)

Becky,

Although I do not have any CCR. I would assume that pixel programming takes up far more commands than does macro. My guess would be for every RGB channel you are essentially consuming 3 commands for the event. When you multiply that out becomes quite alot of commands quickly.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have finally finished the arches and been able to upload a video to youtube. I thought I would share the link in case anyone wanted to see the finished product. I did elect to program without music as this will be in the center of a drive-thru show and the music will probably not be heard at that distance. Thanks again for everyone's help!! =)

• The topic was locked