Light-O-Rama Forums

Strangest use of ??

shfr26

Some creative ideas guys!

Steven - one question.. what do you do for mail delivery during your decorating season? :D;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• shfr26

• steve synek

• Tim Herberger

all i got is tomato cages for mini trees, toilet flanges to anchor 4" PVC that will become my "north poles", construction foam panels will become my "stone" columns for my driveway, pvc and cattlewire for frames for my pumpkin faces, flag pole "was" my mega tree but not sure this year.

testraub wrote:

Sink strainer and "S" hooks for my mega tree topper.

Another clever idea, that I guess takes the "strain" out of hanging all those lights!:cool::shock::dude:

Greg Young wrote:

Steven - one question.. what do you do for mail delivery during your decorating season? :D;)

That's the neighbor's mail slot. (Their house is part of our display.) I'm not sure how they got their mail, but I think there was room to the left of the cords.

Things are changing this year because they did some major remodeling, which included replacing the wood siding with stucco, and adding a socket outside.

For Halloween I use one of the stick in the ground double planter metal hook, add some wire hangers bend on to the hooks for arms, add a string of white mini lights on it, and throw a white bed sheet over it to make a might fine looking ghost.

Strangest thing used, well, I'll bet what I'm constructing for a stand to hold 4 of my controllers may just be the strangest object used so far.

I have taken an old used bedside personal toilet fixture and removed several parts (for obvious reasons) to be utilized as an LOR Controller stand.

I have not yet mounted the boards that the controllers will be bolted too, but the reason I chose this object, it has adjustable legs and will allow me to keep it level no matter what the ground levels are like. Plus since it can be adjusted higher or lower it will also help to keep the cord sets off the ground as well. It will be chained to a tree out front, so it can't just be picked up and walked away with. Plus I zip tie all my cords together too, making it even more difficult to just pick up anything and run off with it. EDIT: I also place locks on all my LOR Controller boxes!

Once I get it everything mounted I'll take another shot and show you the finished project.

Here's a photo of the "bare" modified unit prior to mounting the boards and controllers to it.

So hows that for strangest object used in the building of an LOR display? LOL

Attached files 254563=13944-LOR-Controller-Stand.JPG

testraub wrote:

Sink strainer and "S" hooks for my mega tree topper.

Geanious! Utter geanious! Will have to steal this idea if you don't mind! That's going to save me a lot of drilling time!

I used upside-down translucent salad bowls as gumdrops. They're on the porch roof.

I used swimming pool noodles wrapped in cellophane as old-fashioned candy sticks. One is just visible in the lower right hand side of the picture.

Now that I think about it…maybe that’s why I’m no longer invited to friend’s pool parties.

Attached files 254607=13949-nychristmaslights porch.jpg

Maybe not strange............but I used plastic drywall J channel to make 4 color stars..........

Steve

Attached files 254635=13954-IMG_0661.JPG

steve synek wrote:

Maybe not strange............but I used plastic drywall J channel to make 4 color stars..........

Steve

Those are pretty nice Steve!

AWESOME Thread! This is just what we need. A one stop shop for ideas on how to make stuff for our displays.

Hats off to all.

steve synek wrote:

Maybe not strange............but I used plastic drywall J channel to make 4 color stars..........

Steve

Steve! We'd love to see more on how you made those, they look great!

did someone mention "strange Christmas decorations"?

look close what is UNDER the elf....

Attached files 254690=13955-CHRISTMAS-ELF.jpg

jimswinder wrote:

did someone mention "strange Christmas decorations"?

look close what is UNDER the elf....

That is just WRONG...

Brian Mitchell wrote:

That's got to be photoshopped. I can't imagine a mall ever using that.

Nope, it's not:

It's explained here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/weirdest-christmas-decoration_n_799227.html

The Elf itself is a Caganer:

Explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

It looks like the "waste elimination" products have taken a healthy lead. Keep the ideas coming folks. Just one that I don't use but, mailboxes for donation boxes.

Dan C wrote:

steve synek wrote:

Steve

Steve! We'd love to see more on how you made those, they look great!

Thanks you guys for the kind comments. I will get some information posted under a new thread............maybe this weekend.

Steve