Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega/Weber Tree

caniac

with most if not all of my other props done or near completion it is now time to focus on "The Big Kahuna". I have read several threads here about various ways to do this but need additional input.

Last year my mega tree was done using my Sunsetter Flag Pole. This summer though the flag pole is having issues and the blue pill only works four hours at a time. Though I would like to go tall, I don't want to have to use a lift to hang the lights on it. Have seen some of the pulley systems but they look big and bulky.

Also trying to figure out how to test out the setup without actually having to erect it (or is there no other way)?

Also wondering if PVC is still the way to go.

Any thoughts, ideas are greatly appreciated. If needed I can post pics of the area it will go in.

JBullard wrote:

I use 1 1/4 inch black iron pipe
concrete a sleeve in the ground or use rebar? one solid 20ft section? topper? pulley for lights?

I used 15' 2-1/2" Aluminum pipe for my Mega Tree...

with pulleys on top to pull up my "topper" with 9600 C6 Lights (150lbs) attached to it

Weber Tree will be (3) 24' x 1" pipes welded together (not end to end, but side by side)

and again with pulleys on top to pull up my "topper" with 9600 C6 Lights (150lbs) attached to it.

jimswinder wrote:

I used 15' 2-1/2" Aluminum pipe for my Mega Tree...

with pulleys on top to pull up my "topper" with 9600 C6 Lights (150lbs) attached to it

Weber Tree will be (3) 24' x 1" pipes welded together (not end to end, but side by side)

and again with pulleys on top to pull up my "topper" with 9600 C6 Lights (150lbs) attached to it.
where do you get the pulleys on top or the pulley topper?

how do you stabilize it in the ground?

caniac wrote:

where do you get the pulleys on top or the pulley topper?

how do you stabilize it in the ground?

Last year I just used some cheap pulleys from Home Depot...but a couple of days ago as I was raising up my Mega Tree to do some work on it, the rope kept slipping off of the hub and wedging itself between the hub and the cheeks, so yes, my pulleys are attached to a round plate (about 12" in diameter) that is welded to the top of my mast. I also attach my guy wires to this plate.

So yesterday I bought a couple of different types of new (and hopefully better) ones from Grainger:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=4JX72&op=search&Ntt=4JX72&N=0&sst=subset

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=4FRX9&op=search&Ntt=4FRX9&N=0&sst=subset

As for stabilizing it to the ground? Both mine are up on my roof...but if they were on the ground, I would use the "sleeve cemented into the ground" method as you mentioned.

I also use 1.25" black iron pipe. Full 21 foot section. 2 foot in the ground and with 4 guy wires.

I tried to attach 2 photos and it would not allow. Maybe it is just me not knowing how to do that.

Chuck

I am making a 25' Weber tree this year. I purchased a 25' flagpole from Telepole www.tele-pole.com
I wanted one anyway...or so I told the Mrs., and will mount a pulley system on top. The pole is telescopic, so I can work on the top at ground level but I am pretty sure I will need the pulleys for the weight once lights and guy wires are attached.

cmoore60 wrote:

For the most part PVC is NOT the way to go.

I used a 10' PVC tree for my first 4 years. It was similar to a Weber, except the strings did not spiral very much, they just went around horizontally. I attached nylon twine from the vertical to a 20' circumference ring of PVC that was anchored to the ground with sandbags. I also used 3 guy lines (also nylon twine) to 2 trees and the house.

The problem with PVC is that it bends. My tree was always bent. The good thing about PVC is that it's very light, so you can fix problems with bare hands.

This year I'm replacing it with a true spiral Weber tree of 12' of EMT 3/4" conduit, and 8 1/16" steel rope "branches" to the ring, which will be anchored with "U" shaped re-bar. I may not even need guy lines, but I'll figure that out this weekend.

I agree to handle winds, and bending in general, either pipe or conduit will work fine. HD aluminum flag poles will also work, but they need to be thick wall.

Greg

last year was my first year with a mega tree i used 1 1/2 black pipe 2- 10ft section burried a 3 foot piece of pvc pipe in the ground so the pipe slide into that i built the holdman star to top the tree with which added the 3 feet back.At the top attached a pulley and attached that to electrical galvanced piece of pipe fitting I forget what it is called its threaded in the middle and has holes around the outside of it,that fit over the pipe so I could pull it to the top. I had 4 guy lines attached to it and never had a problem you just another person to help left it in and out of the hole, when not in use i just put a pvc cap over it and can run the mower right over the top of it.

I would look into building a JUMP - Jack Up Mega Pole. You can go up to 24-26' and you don't need a bucket truck and such to raise it.

Here is a link for more info about the JUMP: This link is to Walter and Jackie Monkhouse who invented the JUMP.

http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/magic_christmas_news_003.htm

I have also made videos about building the JUMP and they can be found here:

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html

This is my progress on my new Weber Tree. For the last few years, I used PVC. Here's the base:

IMG_1991.JPG

This year, I'm adding 2 feet and upgrading to metal conduit. I started with the freestanding trunk:
IMG_2475.JPG

The top:
IMG_2476.JPG

It has a couple of joints, which are strengthened with 3/4" dowels:
IMG_2477.JPG

The detail of the top anchor point:
IMG_2479.JPG

The cables are 1/16" steel rope. I couldn't find a wire rope clip to use on the bottom that was small enough, so I'm building my own split bolts. More pictures later as I make more progress.

• 1 month later...

brownjm74 wrote:

I would look into building a JUMP - Jack Up Mega Pole.  You can go up to 24-26' and you don't need a bucket truck and such to raise it. 

Here is a link for more info about the JUMP: This link is to Walter and Jackie Monkhouse who invented the JUMP. 

http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/magic_christmas_news_003.htm

I have also made videos about building the JUMP and they can be found here:

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html

I was looking for the best way to construct my own mega tree and had come up with several designs of my own, but this is by far the simplest yet most brilliant I had come across. And thanks for the videos. The instructions alone would have left me with a lot to figure out.