Light-O-Rama Forums

How many colours can the CCR produce?

edvas69

Im just wondering how many colours the CCR will produce, the specs say 2 million but the IC being used and the dimming curve tells me that its not.

Ron Amedee wrote:

Mine produce a BUNCH !!!! I am not going to even try to count...But your welcome to come over an count them if you want to:shock::D:D:D !!!!

No need to count them as its all a matter of simple maths. I think its actually 32000 colours instead of 2 million as it looks like there is a 5 bit IC running the strip :shock:

I was actually able to run different strip from the CCR controller and the CCR strip has been run from a different controller other than the CCR controller and what was discovered is that the strip that it works with is only 5 bit which makes that 32000 colours instead of 2 million so im wondering how they came up with the 2 million colours.

Any kind of RGB light, like a CCR, can produce about 16.7 million colors, including black. But some of the colors are hard to tell apart, like 100% red and 99% red, they're classified as two different colors, but there really isn't much of a difference between the two.

hope this helps!

jem5136 wrote:

Any kind of RGB light, like a CCR, can produce about 16.7 million colors, including black. But some of the colors are hard to tell apart, like 100% red and 99% red, they're classified as two different colors, but there really isn't much of a difference between the two.

hope this helps!

The amount of colours produced is determined by the IC used, a 5 bit IC (which appears to be in the CCR) is 32 fading steps per colour, so that equated to 32 x 32 x 32 which is 32768 colours.

An 8 bit chip is 256 fading steps so 256 x 256 x 256 which equates to 16777216 colurs, This is correct when we say that the communication being sent is 8 bit so that equals 16.7 million colours but the actual chip within the CCR appears to be 5 bit so that then becomes 32768 colours being produced by the CCR.

The colours are not really the issue here as it would be hard to notice much of a difference, but what is important is the amount of steps as at the low range the dimming becomes very coarse.

Do you own a CCR ? It buy far is the coolest thing you could ever ask far in lighting to date. I could nick pic all day but untill something better comes out...DEAL with it !!!! I could say a lamborghini sucks..But I don't own one so I will not inject my uninformed opinion on it.

Ron Amedee wrote:

Do you own a CCR ? It buy far is the coolest thing you could ever ask far in lighting to date. I could nick pic all day but untill something better comes out...DEAL with it !!!! I could say a lamborghini sucks..But I don't own one so I will not inject my uninformed opinion on it.

Yes i have 8 CCRs plus i have 8 bit and 5 bit strips (CCR clones) as well which i used all together in 2010. So i do know whats available out there and the differences.

What im wondering is why the 2 million colour claim, am i missing something because if i am then i would love to know

Ron Amedee wrote:

I could say a lamborghini sucks...

Go ahead - say it. They DO suck. I've driven them in quite a few racing games over the years and they handle like a piece of crap, especially downshifting or braking into a curve. High top end, but easy to beat out of the hole. Save your money - there's better choices out there.

Ron Amedee wrote:

Do you own a CCR ?  It buy far is the coolest thing you could ever ask far in lighting to date. I could nick pic all day but untill something better comes out...DEAL with it !!!! I could say a lamborghini sucks..But I don't own one so I will not inject my uninformed opinion on it.

Ron, have you been drinking and typing again? Sounds like your getting fired up over there!:D

OVER CHRISTMAS LIGHTS !!!! I'm just happy they light up !!! I honestly can't tell the difference between 30 and 300000 colors...So lord forgive me and bless the pygmies in New Guinea !!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

OVER CHRISTMAS LIGHTS !!!! I'm just happy they light up !!! I honestly can't tell the difference between 30 and 300000 colors...So lord forgive me and bless the pygmies in New Guinea !!!!

Man your crazy! I just spit soda through my nose!:shock:

Ron Amedee wrote:

OVER CHRISTMAS LIGHTS !!!! I'm just happy they light up !!! I honestly can't tell the difference between 30 and 300000 colors...So lord forgive me and bless the pygmies in New Guinea !!!!

As ive already mentioned its not the colours that make a big difference here, its the actual number of steps that go between the 0% and 100% which is its fading ability

Why is this important, this is because if you do a slow fade at the bottom end of the fade you will easily notice the steps as there are only 32 steps from 0% to 100%.

If you had 2 million colours then this would approximatly equate to being around 125 steps for each colour which is quiet a difference and would make a big difference in the fading ability especially at the bottom end of the fade (which is where you notice it most)

I must say though that the CCR is a very nice product and it was what got me into all this pixel/RGB madness that i now find myself in.

I'm glad I'm color blind... why do I have 4 CCRs?

Hey Donny! That is my picture!

Evan I'd still be going crazy with the CCR if not for Jeff,George and Bobo..Its a fickle little devil...But I can't wait for the CCB's to start pulling my hair out agin !!!!:D:D:D:D

The CCR controller interpolates two additional brightness bits/color by sending messages to the strip quickly. That is why the number of colors decreases when the controller has end-to-end connected strips. You would see the flicker if there where more than 64 levels at two strips and more than 32 for more strips than that.

A single ribbon on a controller has 2M possible colors

LightORamaJohn wrote:

2m and one, you forgot one...Black (off) ;)

cenote wrote:

2m and one, you forgot one...Black (off) ;)

The actual number is 2,097,152 (including black). That's 7 bits for each color.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

The CCR controller interpolates two additional brightness bits/color by sending messages to the strip quickly. That is why the number of colors decreases when the controller has end-to-end connected strips. You would see the flicker if there where more than 64 levels at two strips and more than 32 for more strips than that.

So what your saying is that you first send the first 5 bits to the CCR and then in between that sent data you then send an addittional 2 bits for brightness/colour

So basically your using 7 bits on a 5 bit IC but using the high speed frequency to drop in the other 2 bits. Explains a lot on why there are the fading limitations when adding extra strips.

Now time to compare a CCR controller and strip with a non CCR 5 bit controller and strip to see how much a difference those 2 extra bits do.

Thanks for the insight

edvas69 wrote:

So what your saying is that you first send the first 5 bits to the CCR and then in between that sent data you then send an addittional 2 bits for brightness/colour

Not quite. The IC supports 32 intensities. If I quickly alternate between intensity 25 and 26 your eyes integrate this into 25.5. If I send 25 once and 26 three times, you see 25.75. If I send 25 three times and 26 once, you see 25.25.