Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you buy your extension cords?

dcarter4

wbottomley wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Wow! I'm tired of new people not searching the forum for their answers! This is and old outdated topic, that I know if they only search "extension cords, or SPT", There is over 475 combined topics that cover this!

Do we really need another?

I'm not tryng to be a party pooper, but People need to SEARCH!

Oh.... by the way. Before you go ripping my pictures for use on your website, you better ask! Here's one of mine (strobes) on your website: http://www.poestenkill-lights.com/gallery.php

Strobe2.jpg

I can reconize my writing on those strobes. The white strobes are from Paul Sessel that's marked 2011 so they aren't mixed up with last year's.

Those look like mine! Not really, i'm just stirring the pot!:)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• rescue_653

• Donny M. Carter

• rgardner518

wbottomley wrote:

Oh.... by the way. Before you go ripping my pictures for use on your website, you better ask! Here's one of mine (strobes) on your website: http://www.poestenkill-lights.com/gallery.php

Strobe2.jpg

I can reconize my writing on those strobes. The white strobes are from Paul Sessel that's marked 2011 so they aren't mixed up with last year's.

Hey that looks like the 50 I bought from Paul this year :)

wbottomley wrote:

Here's the image: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150106497035995&set=a.417866635994.198008.292825310994&type=1&theater

I don't mind people using my images if they ask. But, rip them without asking, and it's on! :)

And thats some pretty harsh wording on his website copyright considering he has ripped off materials.

Back to the extension cord topic. The best place around here is Menards. They have good sales or rebates before Halloween and better deals around Thanksgiving. Their regular price is still better than most places with their 'sales'.

As an added note, Buying extension cords at Menards is cheaper than buying the SPT wire and plugs. But, with SPT wire you can make custom length and cut down on bulk when making multi wire runs. The 6-15' extension cords are 2 wire SPT wire. The 20' and above are three wire with a jacket adding unnessary bulk.

Meant to add in my previous post I buy a lot of my extension cords (even though they are indoor rated, they do work just fine outside with a little careful planning), anyway I usually buy mine at Wal-Mart, they are 6' and they can be had in white or brown. I paid .96¢ each for them there.

I also sometimes (not always) cut off the triple tap end and put in a single female end in it's place. I rarely have more than one item plugged into an extension cord, unless it's a motor, for example my 3 animated wire deer, all motors would be plugged into one extension cord with a triple tap and then directly to the ~AC~ outlet. I just control the light strings on them seperately with an LOR Controller. And allow the motors to run constantly.

Anyway they aren't bad for .96¢ each at Wal-Mart and they held up just fine under the Florida rains and at the time, a sprinkler system. No GFCI trips or any other issues using them.

NOTE: this was the Wal-Mart price (.96¢) in my area in 2010, prices are subject to change at anytime with or without notice!

wbottomley wrote:

I believe I need to prosecute him for stealing my image according to his copyright notice.

He better remove it within 24 hours!

Go get 'em William!:cool: Looks like that copyright and update to the site was done today Saturday 7/9/2011 at that!:shock: At least that's what the current home page copyright blurbs are showing.

Geez, I may do some dumb things from time to time by some folks here, but that's one thing I WOULD NEVER DO, unless I had permission and I'd sure ask first, is take someones photo's and use them. Although sometimes I have used photo's I've found on other sites that said they were "free for website or public use", only to find out they stole them and cropped the info out of them! I guess that's so they don't get caught, but I always keep a link back to where I find photo's when that scenario happens. Only had it happen twice because I had no way of knowing where they got the photo from initially. And I told the owners where to go find where I got the photo from, only one requested I remove the photo's, which I did, the other allowed their use once they knew I didn't just heist them from their site when I gave them the offenders link that did!

Seems some folks have absolutely no morals at all anymore.

Guest wbottomley

I don't mind people using my images. Just tell me and that's it. NQA (no questions asked) unless it's for profit.

But, acting in the way he did is a whole another story.

wbottomley wrote:

Strobe2.jpg

I just assumed he was using the photo to describe the hobby but was shocked to find it was worse yet--he is portraying that that was a photo from his 2010 display. Makes you wonder if he even really has a display at all?!? :shock:

And isn't that Brian Mitchell's pinwheel (even the megatree pic looks familiar):
http://www.poestenkill-lights.com/projects.php

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=247181

attachment.php?id=13453

Guest Don Gillespie

dcarter4 wrote:

Hey All,

Where do you all buy your extension cords? There has to be a better place than Home Depot?!

TIA

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne you are going to get some great answers on this forum, you already have, I find it amazing that some people would condem you for asking a question, I believe George, Pete, Orville, Jstorms, and surfing4Dough have given you some ideas, as to where you can buy extension cords, also where you can buy the material to make your own, when I was first interested in obtaining information I too asked the questions, I still do, I hope you won't get discouraged by one forum members response, first of all I like you did not know the terminology for SPT wire or what a vampire plug was, so after I received the answers from some of the great members I became more knowlagable and knew what to search for, keep your questions coming I am always willing to help, as are the rest of us. :)

Surfing4Dough wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

Strobe2.jpg

I just assumed he was using the photo to describe the hobby but was shocked to find it was worse yet--he is portraying that that was a photo from his 2010 display.  Makes you wonder if he even really has a display at all?!? :shock:

And isn't that Brian Mitchell's pinwheel (even the megatree pic looks familiar):
http://www.poestenkill-lights.com/projects.php

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=247181

attachment.php?id=13453

:)
It even has the same lights burnt out :D

Don Gillespie wrote:

dcarter4 wrote:
Hey All,

Where do you all buy your extension cords? There has to be a better place than Home Depot?!

TIA

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne you are going to get some great answers on this forum, you already have, I find it amazing that some people would condemn you for asking a question, I believe George, Pete, Orville, Jstorms, and surfing4Dough have given you some ideas, as to where you can buy extension cords, also where you can buy the material to make your own, when I was first interested in obtaining information I too asked the questions, I still do, I hope you won't get discouraged by one forum members response, first of all I like you did not know the terminology for SPT wire or what a vampire plug was, so after I received the answers from some of the great members I became more knowledgeable and knew what to search for, keep your questions coming I am always willing to help, as are the rest of us. :D

Well said. And my guess there are about 10 other lurkers (no, not you Orville :)) that had the same question but weren't brave enough to ask.

I wonder if his website threat statement means he's going to have to file a complaint against himself. What a buffoon... BTW - There's a mini trees on carpeting picture that I've seen before also.

Dwayne - Don said it well. Intelligent questions will usually be answered helpfully by at least one person. (Might not always be the person you expect, but that's another story.) Having said that, it serves new people well to at least give the search option a try every now and then. It doesn't always return answers to the exact question you're asking, but then again, it often does.

wbottomley wrote:

I believe I need to prosecute him for stealing my image according to his copyright notice.

He better remove it within 24 hours!

Note to self, never get wbottomley mad. Note to self part 2, get rid of swimsuit model with strobes pic.

I have bought all my cords 6,9,15 footers at menards when they are on sale.I figure why waste my time making them when i can buy them pre made fairly cheap.