Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 3 Release Date???

mrduncan

Greg Young wrote:

JBullard wrote:
William and I are already through testing the new visualizer

was that the autovisualizer you had with you at EPIC John? :):D:D

I was trained by Robin - don't use the visualizer, never have. William doesn't either, that's why we are finished with testing it. :D

Guest wbottomley

JBullard wrote:

Greg Young wrote:
JBullard wrote:

I was trained by Robin - don't use the visualizer, never have.   William doesn't either, that's why we are finished with testing it.  :D

Perfect point John. :D

I remember a thread last year at this time talking about the new visualizer and that it would be out real soon:shock:, Sure glad I didn't hold my breath:D

wbottomley wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Greg Young wrote:
JBullard wrote:

I was trained by Robin - don't use the visualizer, never have. William doesn't either, that's why we are finished with testing it. :D

Perfect point John. :D

I'm in your camp also guys.

I am fine with my "pixel figure" mages in the current visualizer for a couple of reasons:

1) my display is so spread out (almost an acre when you take into account the front and sides) I could never put in a picture of my house and get all the display elements included

2) no matter how good the visualizer, I still need to go outside, and see what the visitors see. Marty Slack taught me his approach back in 2003/04, one that I have used ever since - lead the audio with the lights by a fraction of a second, and it will appear more exactly sequenced to the music, than the computer visualizer display would suggest. I used that same lead when I overlayed the audio in the Holiday Lights DVD series, which is why the timing for many of the displays actually came out a little better than how there were on the actual submissions...

Greg

This is a good tip. I just want to make sure I understand. Lights should be ahead of the audio by a fraction?

Greg Young wrote:

I'm in your camp also guys.

I am fine with my "pixel figure" mages in the current visualizer for a couple of reasons:

1) my display is so spread out (almost an acre when you take into account the front and sides) I could never put in a picture of my house and get all the display elements included

With the new Visualizer, you are free to make as many visualizations as you like for your stage. For example, you could create 1 for the front, and 1 for the side. Or perhaps you even create 3: The 2 detailed ones, and then a 'low res' overall view.

Since the visualization is no longer tied to the sequence, you can split things up much more logically.

Of course nothing beats looking at the real thing, but hopefully you'll find the new Visualizer gets closer.

Reading Mike's reply spurred a thought.

This almost sounds like a version of the Holiday Lights Designer. Since it is no longer tied to the sequence. Could there be plans later in time to make it run on a seperate computer from the sequencing computer (over ethernet) and then give us 3 programming screens 2 for sequence editor and 1 outboard for visualizer.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

Reading Mike's reply spurred a thought.

This almost sounds like a version of the Holiday Lights Designer. Since it is no longer tied to the sequence. Could there be plans later in time to make it run on a seperate computer from the sequencing computer (over ethernet) and then give us 3 programming screens 2 for sequence editor and 1 outboard for visualizer.

Chuck

It does this out of the box. I've personally tested it across my network.

Cool!

Will S3 (to use the visualizer across the network) require that you fully license another computer to run S3 even though you may only need the visualizer on the second computer?

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

Cool!

Will S3 (to use the visualizer across the network) require that you fully license another computer to run S3 even though you may only need the visualizer on the second computer?

Chuck

I'm 99% sure you will need a full license on the other computer, however I'll ask Dan just to clarify.

I'm also very ok with the existing pixelated animation image ... its not super realistic, but does give a good general idea of what to expect ... and goes across two homes. My base image (of both homes) was obtained from the google maps "Street View" ... which uses a really wide angle lens.

Greg Young wrote:

2) no matter how good the visualizer, I still need to go outside, and see what the visitors see. Marty Slack taught me his approach back in 2003/04, one that I have used ever since - lead the audio with the lights by a fraction of a second, and it will appear more exactly sequenced to the music, than the computer visualizer display would suggest. I used that same lead when I overlayed the audio in the Holiday Lights DVD series, which is why the timing for many of the displays actually came out a little better than how there were on the actual submissions...

Greg

Hey Greg -

What fraction of a second are you using? .1? .05? .02? How much of a delay are we talking about?

Thanks!

D.T.

jeffl wrote:

This is a good tip. I just want to make sure I understand. Lights should be ahead of the audio by a fraction?

Yes.. try it and see! I think you will be sold on that...