Light-O-Rama Forums

ccb channel count

Donny M. Carter

LightORamaJohn wrote:

This is a total rewrite of the CCR firmware into a higher performance language and will be moved to the CCR once it is proven. The rewrite was required to handle the worst case of almost 70,000 adjustments per second required in the CCB controller. Right now a 100-bulb CCB consumes an entire DMX universe. On a LOR network, you can drive, at the pixel level, about three CCB controllers each with two 50-bulb strings.

John, thanks for the info. Do you know if this current scenario of 3 x CCB x 2 strings has been tested through the current MP3 Show Director, or only via a PC connection at the pixel level?

My current design for this year is based on 3 x CCB x 2 strings, plus a CCR, all running at pixel level, along with another couple of hundred channels all being driven by a MP3 Show Director. I gather that based on the current config it is going to be pushing the limits across a single network, but it may be achievable if you get the efficiencies you are trying for. If not, are there any alternatives planned for people who are trying to use large pixel counts through something like the MP3 Show Director, where multiple networks may be required?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donny M. Carter

• jimswinder

• cmoore60

• ItsMeBobO

LightORamaJohn wrote:

jerrymac wrote:
What I forgot to ask Dan was how the CCB strings will appear to the sequencer (assuming a double string of 100 bulbs). i.e. 300 channels (100 pixels) or as 2 seperate 50 pixel strings (like 2 CCR's). Since they will not be out for a couple of months it would help to know so I (we) can get to programming now. Maybe one of the beta testers or Dan / or BOB can chime in?

The CCB controller has one unit ID and 320 channels. Channels 1-160 are bulb string one. 1-150 = RGB, 151-157 = res/macro/color-effect, 158-160 = reserved. Channels 161-320 are bulb string two. 161-310 = RGB, 311-317 = res/macro/color-effect, 318-320 = reserved. In legacy unit ID mode it can take up to 20 unit IDs.

A bulb string is programmed like a CCR. Same RGB, res/macro/color-effects. This was done for sequence compatibility. The only difference is that the res channel can be used to 'flip' a bulb string. Adding 50 to the resolution intensity channel flips the pixels on that bulb string. I. e. a resolution of 100 means a resolution of 50 but the pixels on the string are addressed opposite the configured orientation -- which is normally pixel one closest to the controller. This is an easy way to mirror any effect programmed, either RGB or macro without changing the sequence.

This is a total rewrite of the CCR firmware into a higher performance language and will be moved to the CCR once it is proven. The rewrite was required to handle the worst case of almost 70,000 adjustments per second required in the CCB controller. Right now a 100-bulb CCB consumes an entire DMX universe. On a LOR network, you can drive, at the pixel level, about three CCB controllers each with two 50-bulb strings. We are hoping the new firmware will allow us to run at twice the current fastest network speed so that twelve 50-bulbs strings can run on one LOR network -- we'll see. This doubling would also apply to CCRs.

The Sequence Editor will be enhanced to make insertion of a double string CCB easier.

Thanks for clarifying John! Read too much into your prior post. I noticed in the CCB flyer it said 60/160.
If an admin wants to edit out my misstatements that is ok with me.

On the fly software flipping! How cool is that!

jerrymac wrote:

the controler/power supply has two contector pig tails for the stings. This means that with 100 pixels (2 strings) the controler/power supply) will be in the middle of the two strings (not end to end).

Darn...was needing my CCB's to be end to end...

Guess I will have to make an "Extension Pigtail" so the controller is at one end.

Anyone know if this is even possible? Would the extra length be a problem?

guez I feel like Forest Gump when it comes to all this CCR and CCB.....

I'm just going to have to make a test sequence and play with the CCR/CCB layout and programing to pound it into my head the hard way.

jimswinder wrote:

jerrymac wrote:
the controler/power supply has two contector pig tails for the stings. This means that with 100 pixels (2 strings) the controler/power supply) will be in the middle of the two strings (not end to end).

Darn...was needing my CCB's to be end to end...

Guess I will have to make an "Extension Pigtail" so the controller is at one end.

Jim, I was hoping for the same thing. End to end. I have altered my display to work with the controller in the middle of two strings. I have no doubt that someone will figure out how to make extension cords of some type.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Thanks for clarifying John! Read too much into your prior post. I noticed in the CCB flyer it said 60/160.
If an admin wants to edit out my misstatements that is ok with me.

On the fly software flipping! How cool is that!

The "60" is confusing. I meant that the 150 R, B & G channels would combine into 50 RGB channels and the 10 res/macro/color/reserved channels would stay separate. This would make one 50-bulb string 60 channels in the Sequence Editor.

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

I did it with CCRs, and it works flawlessly. The extension is 10' and it connects my 5th and 6th arches to the controller located between the 2nd and 3rd. That way I got all 3 controllers in one box.

Jeff

Hey Jeff...

Any idea if the CCB's will use the same setup?

I was thinking it would just be a three wire "extension cord"...

but knowing my simple mind, it is probably wanting to take a complex situation and make it simple...

and yes, my mind also works the opposite way and makes a simple situation more complex... :)

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jim,

Take a look at the pictures of the wire I used in the CCR Cut thread. I cut that wire off an old heating blanket. I wish I had a roll of it. Ken Lovely told me it can be had from the same vendor (Ray Wu?) he got his RGB LEDs from. That wire is very close to the wire used on the CCBs. It's the same 4 wire design as the CCR. +12V and null, and the other two are for data. Take a look at the pixels for the 4 pads. Off to look for the wire on Ray Wu's website...

Jeff

Looks like a simple procedure (as opposed to you cutting your CCR in half!!! LOL)

I would imagine adding an "extension cord" would not void any warranty, would it?

Jeff Millard wrote:

BTW, I found a 4 conductor #20 wire on Ray Wu's site. $67US shipped for 100meters... Too rich for my blood. Ya know, pinchin' pennies... LOL

Hmmmm....probably to do what I want to do I will need about 500'...

I guess I could use the 8 conductor wire I used last year (and spent a TON of money on), but they are all cut up into 10' and 15' sections with molex type connectors on them....

Jeff Millard wrote:

This sounds like I need to get that 1000" roll out and do some testing... How far do you want the controller to be from the bulbs/load? I'll make an extension out of spare Molex's and give it a try this weekend...

Well...now that you mention "length".. I just realized a new problem!!!

Originally the 100 ct CCB's were going to be 8" Center for a total length of 66'...
just about what I needed...

but now the talk is of 6" centers or about 50'...that leaves me about 10' short of my current length of lights!!!

DAMN!!!

Anyway..I WAS going to need a 33' extension cord (the length of a string of lights)

I guess it does no good to plan a display on conjecture, huh?

And yes...when Dan first mentioned 8" centers for the CCB's I was one of the ones complaining about the spacing being to big...

Be careful what you wish for, huh??? :D

And welcome to the VERY Exclusive 3000 club...I nominate you as President...

Jeff Millard wrote:

What was this thread about?

Jeff

It was about you my brother!:cool:
The questions for the original post were answered, so you can make it whatever you want. Oh wait!! You already did!:dude:

Be careful what you wish for, huh??? :D

And welcome to the VERY Exclusive 3000 club...I nominate you as President...

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a physicist

Jeff Millard wrote:

PS 60' for test?

Well...originally I thought about 50'...but if the controller plugs into CCB "A", then what good would the extra length do (to CCB "B") as the controller could only be as far away from CCB "A" as the pigtail...

unless you made TWO different length extension cords for each set of 2 CCB's...

Jeff Millard wrote:

Ya might wanna ask LORJohn what he thinks we're limited to. I know for a fact that 10' works just fine.

I think you just did...

thanks!!!

Hey Jim,

If you are simply wanting the CCB to chase from one end to the power supply and then on to the end of the second string. As I understand from talking with Dan. The macros will be able to be configured to do that. Not from the power supply to the end on both 50 pixel strings. Might be better to ask Dan and or John if what you wish to do is possible with configuration as presented by LOR.

Just for the record. The wire in the CCB is similar to the lead in wire on the CCR. 4 cond. flat zip cord type.

Chuck

The CCB uses a different controller IC than the CCR. The data rate to the bulbs is 1MHz. I was not able to run more than 5 or 6 feet to the first bulb before the data was garbled. An extension cord would have to be active, meaning it would need a retransmission buffer IC. We will limit the controller to first bulb to around three feet to guarranty that it works properly.

Ron Amedee wrote:

They are trying to keep us on our toes !!!! Just when you think you got it understood....Here comes a bump in the road.....

Trust me I know. I had my new channel config almost finished then LORJohn explained the channel count on the CCB's.