Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproofing

pabryang

Of all the many forums I have participated in/administered, and this dates back to the days of BBS's going back to the early 1990's/late 1980's, I have never, let me repeat that, never seen the amount of emotional immaturity that I have seen demonstarted on the Christmas forums (that is pleural, as I am certianly not referring to any Christmas forum in particular)..

In part that may be due to a change in values/attitiude in our society, with the hedonistic trend that has swept this country (and many other parts of the world) - the "what's in it for me" trend. You see it everywhere - behind the wheel on the roads, and certainly, in large part on-line due to the relative anonymity folks have (or more correctly think they have) on the forums.

A footnote - some of the folks who seem to be the biggest "jerks" based on their postings, when you finally meet them in person at gatherings, turn out to be really nice folks, something we should all keep in mind!

It is hard to read inent often in posts, which frequently wind up getting misconstrued. A perfect example was William Bottomleys LOR 3 joke, which he promulgated as his annual prank. I know he never intended it to offend anyone, although it apparently did.

Many of you missed the early years - the pre 2005 years where folks who decorated, decorated based on a desire to give back to their neighbors and friends as part of their holiday spirit. They weren't interested in "shows" - they were interested in displays. Sure, they would enjoy publicity as much as anyone would, but that was not their main goal.

Reading many of the posts since those days, it would appear many seek out publicity, and if they don't get it they are discouraged. In some cases they have quit decorating! That certainly a much different mindset than many of us are used to seeing!

The forums were much different back then, very educational, and much more pleasant. Folks willingly shared knowledge and their skills, but it was a two way street. (give and take)

In the last decade - midway through it there was a definite change. Folks came on board who had different motivation to decorate. It was neither right, nor wrong, just different.

One forum owner described the change he saw as an influx of "takers", as opposed to the "givers and takers" that had populated the forums before. As newbies came on board, more and more each season, the same questions were asked and answered, some times multiple times each season. Perhaps it is the way the forums are designed, with the ability to look-up previous posts not being user friendly, the lack of a FAQ section, or maybe it was just plain laziness on the part of some of these information requestors (or a combination of factors) but after a couple years of answering the same questions over and over, without folks who asked them bothering to take the time to look-up what has previously been posted, it frustrated a lot of us "old timers", many of whom just quit posting educational content.

BBS and forum etiquette hasn't changed - it calls for folks reviewing the past posts for content, before making inquiries. When that doesn't happen certain questions come up repeatedly (as they are common problems that folks encounter), and they tend to engender some debates.

I will give you 3 examples: GFCI, weather proofing (this thread), and FM broadcasting. There is a lot of information available on these topics, which can be had via the use of the search feature. It just takes a little time to do.

Many of you who have been around will remember the posts I used to make, for a number of each seasons regarding FM broadcasting. Based on my background, I felt I had something to contribute. (Many folks (at least back then) knew I worked as a FM broadcast engineer, and a few know that I continue to work with the FCC on interference related issues (although my current job is in another governmental agency)).

I gave up posting, as some folks would argue the facts I presented which I knew to be true. Now I sit back and let the "experts" provide their facts, incomplete as they may be at times.

I stopped producing the Holiday Lights 2 DVD set each season, which took me literally hundreds of hours to get to DVD quality, due to feedback from many who argued (on the forums) they should be free. It just wasn't worth it anymore to continue them, so I stopped. To those who enjoyed them, and to the many contributors I am sorry...

In short, most of the old timers are still around the various forums. We don't post a lot of content, for the reasons described above. Perhaps if folks make an effort to do a little searching, and then have questions that need further addressing/expertise, we will again.

Enough said, it's time to move on with plans for this years' displays.

Greg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Young

• Tim Herberger

• George Simmons

• rgardner518

Greg,

I couldn't have put it any more eloquently my friend.

Will see you in Indy, tomorrow.:cool:

Well said, Greg.

You do bring up a good point, in that the search features of the forum software are pretty weak. I spent 10 minutes searching for a thread that I had read recently, using keywords that I KNOW were in the post (I remember what I said in the thread), but I was not able to find what I needed. Questions being repeated will continue until a better system is implemented.

I have been around here for a long time, and 2011 will be my 6th year with an LOR display... Even us oldbies struggle sometimes :D

Good post...

D.T.

rodman1369 wrote:

Hey guys...I'm kinda a newby here...and I For One...Appreciate any and all suggestions I can gleem from here and other places. It was VERY obvious that Some people here find amusement in tearing apart certain member's attempts to impart their wisdom and experience to help others. Why??? Do you think it's cute? When you flame someone else's post...you are just exposing how childish you can lower yourselves to be. I want to learn here...Not read a bunch of posts trashing others. Now you can flame me...I don't care...but you should pause and think on how your typed comments Might just be a big waste of space to people like me...here to LEARN. We need a separate section just for idiots to play amongst themselves...and not waste reading time. Mayhaps a button to vote to send offenders there...Not by one person of course...but if several people pushed the idiot button...they would find themselves in a "time-out" place with white walls. :D 'nuff said.

Thank you, rodman1369! I don't know why we can't all be nice, polite, civil, etc. to each other. I have still been reading the forums but have hesitated to post lately because I don't want someone attacking me as they have others. Many times it is impossible to tell (in written form) whether someone is playing a joke, poking fun, or just being downright mean. That's why the politeness and civility is so important. If you think I just have a thin skin and can't take a joke---no---that's not the case. But many times comments on this forum are beyond a joke---they go way too far---far enough to drive people away from the forum. I know of others who have left---without posting about their leaving, because of what has gone on lately.

I'm just here to learn and to share what little knowledge I may have. I REALLY appreciate all that everyone has shared to help me. That's the purpose of the forums in my opinion.

Again---THANKS to all who have shared so that I can make my display even better!

I just want to have a great experience, and make good friends in this wonderful hobby. Thanks for reading!

Greg Young wrote:

Many of you missed the early years - the pre 2005 years where folks who decorated, decorated based on a desire to give back to their neighbors and friends as part of their holiday spirit. They weren't interested in "shows" - they were interested in displays. Sure, they would enjoy publicity as much as anyone would, but that was not their main goal.
I guess I would be called the old timer.. The only reason I am doing this is really for my neighbors that I have known for YEARS, heck they knew me when I was still a kiddo. For me, this is the least I can do for them. I love decorating, getting my community involved, and when its all up and running see their smiles.

I've done static displays over the years, and last year I was challenged by one of my neighbors that she can decorate better than me... Now I cant let that happen. So last year I had a Mr. Christmas, which for me, was too boring, hints why I got LOR. This all in all actually got the 39 owners in my community together, and they give me ideas, songs, even willing to help/take down.. So for me, I got what I wanted out of the deal. There is no more that I want out of this. I was asked by a neighbor that rights for the local paper if she can put me in it. I said you can put the display in it but not include my name anywhere in it, but include the whole community. Funny thing is she said why, you paid for it, you use your time to sequence all of it, why not take credit. I simply told her without the community helping me, talking to me, it wouldn't happen. Its our display, not mine.

I wont lie, I love watching people pulling up and watching, smiling, that is what this season is all about.

When I joined this group, Ive learned a lot. Got tons of ideas from various members, one of which I am currently working on and there is a thread about it in the general decorating area. It is hard to see members go, for reasons I do not fully understand. This hobby is meant to be a joyful one, not a stressful one. There are times for jokes, and places to do it. Then there are people who really cant stand each other, that's what that lovely ignore feature is for. But it really shouldn't get to that point.

With all that said, lets get back on topic.

rodman1369 wrote:

...but you should pause and think on how your typed comments Might just be a big waste of space to people like me...here to LEARN. We need a separate section just for idiots to play amongst themselves...and not waste reading time.

I'm glad you're not mincing words. Liberating, isn't it? Just like standing up for a friend who's as honest and straightforward as anyone around here.

98% of my posts are either to help someone, or to be smart alecky or sarcastic. Sometimes even I don't know how it's going to turn out until it's posted. It is what it is. Anyone who feels like the posts are a waste of space, or who doesn't appreciate my assistance, or share my perspective or my sense of humor is free to use the "Ignore" button. That's what it's for. If you want to let people know you've chosen to ignore them, then go ahead and tell them.

I'm all for a special section for people to play amongst themselves without worrying about offending anyone - many forums have that. But you've got the "idiots" part wrong - they're the ones who need to be kept out of that area.

George Simmons wrote:

Where is that ignore button anyway? I've been trying to ignore George for months now..... lol

Oh, I see.... You can't ignore someone you've made a friend!

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

rodman1369 wrote:
...but you should pause and think on how your typed comments Might just be a big waste of space to people like me...here to LEARN. We need a separate section just for idiots to play amongst themselves...and not waste reading time.

I'm glad you're not mincing words. Liberating, isn't it? Just like standing up for a friend who's as honest and straightforward as anyone around here.

98% of my posts are either to help someone, or to be smart alecky or sarcastic. Sometimes even I don't know how it's going to turn out until it's posted. It is what it is. Anyone who feels like the posts are a waste of space, or who doesn't appreciate my assistance, or share my perspective or my sense of humor is free to use the "Ignore" button. That's what it's for. If you want to let people know you've chosen to ignore them, then go ahead and tell them.

I'm all for a special section for people to play amongst themselves without worrying about offending anyone - many forums have that. But you've got the "idiots" part wrong - they're the ones who need to be kept out of that area.

Some great stuff here, I like George, try to offer any help that other forum members are seeking however to lighten the whole world up I find a smart alec coment refreshing every once in a while, yes this forum is for information purposes, there are a lot of people I would love to meet only becuase talking to them over the years and getting to see thier faces ( show your face thread) makes me believe I have already met them and I consider them my friends, some have more to offer than others however I would not begrudge my friends the opportunity to express their opinion on these threads even if it is a smart alec coment so to all my friends with a warped sense of humor please keep your posts coming and don't change a thing the information when needed is available by even the smart alecs on this forum.

Your friend from Canada

Don Gillespie wrote:

George Simmons wrote: Some great stuff here, I like George, try to offer any help that other forum members are seeking however to lighten the whole world up I find a smart alec coment refreshing every once in a while, yes this forum is for information purposes, there are a lot of people I would love to meet only becuase talking to them over the years and getting to see thier faces ( show your face thread) makes me believe I have already met them and I consider them my friends, some have more to offer than others however I would not begrudge my friends the opportunity to express their opinion on these threads even if it is a smart alec coment so to all my friends with a warped sense of humor please keep your posts coming and don't change a thing the information when needed is available by even the smart alecs on this forum.

Your friend from Canada

really the problem is when someone tries to help,a certain few ( mostly just one )always disagree or think they know a better way.I think that if somebody can't take it don't dish it. I agree that humor is needed to keep things interesting,heck

i pop a few off from time to time

james campbell wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
....I think that if somebody can't take it don't dish it. I agree that humor is needed to keep things interesting,heck

It's the quality not the quantity of posts that counts! :P:P

james campbell wrote:

I can't resist... God, if only I could...

This is one of those times I wish I WAS on your Ignore list so you wouldn't see this question, because I've gotta ask, even though I'm not sure I want to know... what it is you "pop off" from time to time?

Guest Don Gillespie

Greg Young wrote:

james campbell wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:
....I think that if somebody can't take it don't dish it. I agree that humor is needed to keep things interesting,heck

It's the quality not the quantity of posts that counts! :P:P

Just to clarify this isn't my quote I believe it is James

George Simmons wrote:

james campbell wrote:

I can't resist... God, if only I could...

This is one of those times I wish I WAS on your Ignore list so you wouldn't see this question, because I've gotta ask, even though I'm not sure I want to know... what it is you "pop off" from time to time?

well I think you should know it just started to happen to me the older I get

Back to the topic--I've always closed any unused females with heating duct foil tape.Not to be confused with duct tape,this tape is shinny similar to aluminum foil and is sold with HVAC supplies at the big box stores.It's cheap and it works.

Guest Don Gillespie

Ralph Priest wrote:

Back to the topic--I've always closed any unused females with heating duct foil tape.Not to be confused with duct tape,this tape is shinny similar to aluminum foil and is sold with HVAC supplies at the big box stores.It's cheap and it works.

I have never had to close off the female ends of my lights as the cold weather we get in Canada doesn't really affect the ends, I would think if you had them in a downward postion you wouldn't have problems with them even in the rain.

evan.a wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
What I did was put electrical tape across each of the non-used female plug ends.

thats a bad idea. it will only trap water that does get in.
Ive done it this way for years and it has def helped!

crackchecker wrote:

Oh, I see.... You can't ignore someone you've made a friend!

But if you play around with the forum URLs, you can ignore yourself.

Attached files 251928=13698-ignored.png

Steven wrote:

crackchecker wrote:
Oh, I see....    You can't ignore someone you've made a friend!

But if you play around with the forum URLs, you can ignore yourself.

That's a good one Steve! :):D