Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproofing

pabryang

wbottomley wrote:

WOW. I never do any of the above and never have any problems. Too much of a time killer for me. I have bigger fish to fry.

I'm with you, Bill. Seems like a case of overthinking and over-engineering a problem that doesn't even exist. Don't let cord connections lay in puddles and everything else should be just fine.

I think in my three years doing synchronized I've had a total of two cords come unplugged - took me about ten seconds each to plug them back together. Geez, I can't even imagine how long it would take to zip-tie over 900 extension cords - I'd have to start in August to get done in time. What a waste...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Young

• Tim Herberger

• George Simmons

• rgardner518

Tim Herberger wrote:

I don't think those extension cords are rated for use outdoors...

They're not, just used as reference for the photo. I *do* have outdoor cords, but didn't want to unroll those because they are so long. My outdoor cords usually are 25'-100'+ long.

But even though these are not rated outdoors, they can be used short term, these cords have a lock on one side that allows the extra unused outlets to be closed off and it fits very snug. I did use a few of them last year(2010) and had no problems with them outside for Halloween the entire month of October and we had some hefty rains in October, never tripped the GFCI and never had any problems.

They really aren't much different than SPT1 or SPT2 cord, just that the end is triple tapped where most home-brew cords using SPT1 or 2 cord may only have one end receptacle. And some folks cut the triple tap off and re-end the cord with a single receptacle, I've done that too.

The only real reason these aren't "outdoor" rated is because of (possibly) their thickness and that they aren't UV rated like most outdoor cords are rated. But I've seen outdoor rated cords deteriorate just as quickly, if not more so, than the indoor variety.

wbottomley wrote:

WOW. I never do any of the above and never have any problems. Too much of a time killer for me. I have bigger fish to fry.

But, good idea though.

Didn't take me that long to do William. Took me about 2 hours to tie up ALL my connection points, including those that were connected to the 80 LOR connections in 2010. And I had somewhere around 600+ extension cords, not including some of the light string connections where more than one string was connected together.

I wouldn't have spent the time on it, but when I read about others having idiots come in and move cords around, unplug items and then replug them into other outlets, messing up a show or just leaving them unplugged, seems to me the little time and effort put into zip tying connections makes it well worth it. It would have taken me longer to figure out which cord went back where than the time it took me to zip them together.

And then there are the "thieves" that will take cords just for the fun of it to mess your display up. And if you don't have the funds to buy or get replacments, now your show is stopped until you can replace those cords. In 2010 I had just enough to cover my display for what I could afford, if I had lost any cords, then I would have had to shut my display off until such time I could afford to get a replacement, which at the time, being unemployed and getting what little unemployment compensation I was, would have shut me down for 2 weeks, that would be 2 weeks too long.

So again, I will take the time to zip tie my cords, after all, that's what the hobby is about, sharing how each individual opts to do things, what works for me, may not work for others, but just sharing information for those that may want to try and use it, especially if they have or have had issues with vandalism to their displays.

And the neighborhood I lived in, we did have issues with some punks going around and stealing items, including extension cords, by my cords all being tied together, it makes it very difficult to just unplug and then up and walk away with the cord.

BTW: I also zip tie all cords together that are near/next to each other, it makes it close to impossible for a would be vandal to figure out where the cords are going to or from. And yes, I even zip tie my lights to the trees and bushes. And yes, it does take extra time, but to me, that is time worth spending!

Orville wrote:

Pinched pennies do add up!

So do extension cords. 600+ for only 80 channels, eh? Let's see - that averages out to over 7 exensiont cords per channel... I must be doing something wrong - I manage to light up 400+ channels with only around 850 cords. I'll have to take a look to see where I'm unnecessarily cutting corners...

George Simmons wrote:

Orville wrote:
Pinched pennies do add up!

So do extension cords. 600+ for only 80 channels, eh? Let's see - that averages out to over 7 exensiont cords per channel... I must be doing something wrong - I manage to light up 400+ channels with only around 850 cords. I'll have to take a look to see where I'm unnecessarily cutting corners...

I'm with you George.

I need to figure out why with 480 channels that I must not be using enough extension cords. Dang, I don't even own 600+ extension cords!

Guess I might have to go buy some more, according to him and his usage formula of 7 cords per channel, I need 3360 extension cords for my display

Glad to find out I've been wiring everything wrong for all these years!

First off: I am NOT using standard store bought cords, many home made from old Christmas light wire and are very short, they can be as short as 3", but not much longer than 2 or 3', this is why I have "so many cords". These are what I started using and I have yet to replace them with "longer cords". And I really should not have to explain my "cord lengths", it should be easy enough to figure out due to the number of cords I use per the channel count.

I thought the LOR Elitists here all could figure this out, dang, I can see I was wrong on thinking they were smart enough to figure this out without my explaining it.

But I guess everyone doesn't bother to think today, they want to assume everyone is using the same exact lengths of cord, same items, etc. Or that's the impression I am getting here.

Just because someone has more or less cords does not make their display any better or any worse than anyone elses. Nor does it detract from the overall experience.

And I thought I BOLDED the info: "that's what the hobby is about, sharing how each individual opts to do things, what works for me, may not work for others"

Apparently that statement is also RESERVED for the LOR Elitists here and others should not state it for fear of being ripped on with the "you're wrong and I'm right mentallity that seems to truly abound here".

Never did I state my way was right or wrong, I stated it works for me, and it could possibly work for others.

And don't worry, I'm going back to lurking, if I opt to do so. After I hit submit on this post, the LOR Forums url will be deleted from my favorites as I can see that anything I post here will always be torn apart and made to look like it's something folks don't need to do. So I am done with it and the damned egotists here.

Logging out and gone.

Orville wrote:

First off:  I am NOT using standard store bought cords, many home made from old Christmas light wire and are very short, they can be as short as 3", but not much longer than 2 or 3', this is why I have "so many cords".  These are what I started using and I have yet to replace them with "longer cords".   And I really should not have to explain my "cord lengths", it should be easy enough to figure out due to the number of cords I use per the channel count.

I thought the LOR Elitists here all could figure this out, dang, I can see I was wrong on thinking they were smart enough to figure this out without my explaining it.

But I guess everyone doesn't bother to think today, they want to assume everyone is using the same exact lengths of cord, same items, etc.   Or that's the impression I am getting here.

Just because someone has more or less cords does not make their display any better or any worse than anyone elses.  Nor does it detract from the overall experience.

And I thought I BOLDED the info: "that's what the hobby is about, sharing how each individual opts to do things, what works for me, may not work for others"

Apparently that statement is also RESERVED for the LOR Elitists here and others should not state it for fear of being ripped on with the "you're wrong and I'm right mentallity that seems to truly abound here".

Never did I state my way was right or wrong, I stated it works for me, and it could possibly work for others.

And don't worry, I'm going back to lurking, if I opt to do so.    After I hit submit on this post, the LOR Forums url will be deleted from my favorites as I can see that anything I post here will always be torn apart and made to look like it's something folks don't need to do.    So I am done with it and the damned egotists here.

Logging out and gone.

What did Jeff do now?:shock:

fireworks11.jpeg

Fireworks on the fourth!! :cool:

Loud explosions could cause heart problems, please remember to take your meds...

I admit, wetness isn't much of a problem in Colorado, but I've been using those indoor cords with no issues for 3 years now. I sometimes put my connections in a grocery bag if I know it'll be in the snow. I usually just twist it and zip tie it. I've also used sandwich bags sometimes. SOme people use those disposable tupperware containers to make connections in.

wbottomley wrote:

Orville wrote:
Logging out and gone.

Again?

current vegas odds or a return from lurk mode:

1. within 3 hours: 10:1

2. within 24 hours: 6:1

3. within 48 hours: 3:1

4. was only kidding, still here: 2:1

Orville wrote:

First off: I am NOT using standard store bought cords, many home made from old Christmas light wire and are very short, they can be as short as 3", but not much longer than 2 or 3', this is why I have "so many cords". These are what I started using and I have yet to replace them with "longer cords". And I really should not have to explain my "cord lengths", it should be easy enough to figure out due to the number of cords I use per the channel count.

But I guess everyone doesn't bother to think today, they want to assume everyone is using the same exact lengths of cord, same items, etc. Or that's the impression I am getting here.

Just because someone has more or less cords does not make their display any better or any worse than anyone elses. Nor does it detract from the overall experience.

And don't worry, I'm going back to lurking, if I opt to do so. After I hit submit on this post, the LOR Forums url will be deleted from my favorites as I can see that anything I post here will always be torn apart and made to look like it's something folks don't need to do. So I am done with it and the damned egotists here.

Logging out and gone.

Harry Truman's words are so apropo here..has to do with kitchens, and not being able to stand the heat....

DonFL wrote:

current vegas odds on a return from lurk mode:

1. within 3 hours: 10:1

2. within 24 hours: 6:1

3. within 48 hours: 3:1

4. was only kidding, still here: 2:1

I think this might make for the most interesting poll around here in the past couple of months.

Obviously, the smart money would be on #3 because there are more chances to win, but my heart says to go with #4.

Tim Herberger wrote:

fireworks11.jpeg

Loud explosions could cause heart problems, please remember to take your meds...

ooooooh ahhhhhh pretty

was just thinking,,,,,who was worried about outdoor rated,,,,,I don't think spt2 and vampire plug ends are outdoor rated?

Tim Herberger wrote:

fireworks11.jpeg

When was that? Yesterday?

Tim Herberger wrote:

fireworks11.jpeg

I think it just needed to be seen again, and by the way Yippee.

Jeff Millard wrote:

The reason all the veterans are saying they don't waste time weatherproofing... Is because it's a waste of time and it doesn't work! Water leaches in large rocks and small animals at any attempt to overcome plain old drip dry connections. You can try time and time again to challenge Mother Nature, and she will always win. The crap that collects in the connections will help to decompose the cheap faux-brass tabs, it will conduct, and it will trip ground fault protection.

The best, and only choice is to elevate connections and allow them to drip dry. Rainwater isn't conductive. The crap it draws in and traps in taped up wire is what's conductive. It also promotes corrosion. Wrapping, taping, enclosing, glueing, "RTV"ing... all bad ideas. You can either learn from our past mistakes... or argue until you have a coron... ...until you're blue in the face. It won't change this simple fact. Buy some C9 stakes and snap your connections in them... and forget about all this.

Jeff

Well said! I could not have said it better!