Light-O-Rama Forums

Frames for Singing Pumpkin Faces

Tracy West

I got 5 feet x 50 feet chicken wire at HD for 45.00 It will be enough for both my frames.

This is my 10 x 9 frame made with 3/4 inch pvc.

My 10 x 10 frame is going to be made with 1 inch pvc due to it will be semi free standing.

One frame down..... One to go!:)

Attached files 252123=13709-web frame 002.jpg

Tracy West wrote:

I got 5 feet x 50 feet chicken wire at HD for 45.00 It will be enough for both my frames.

This is my 10 x 9 frame made with 3/4 inch pvc.

My 10 x 10 frame is going to be made with 1 inch pvc due to it will be semi free standing.

One frame down..... One to go!:)
good work!!

Here is the big 10 x 10 frame!

Still needs a few more zip ties and to paint the chicken wire. Now on to finishing sequences and getting faces on frames and the castle.

Halloween is coming fast! :shock:

Attached files 252291=13724-web frame 003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tracy,

For your faces - are you using a are you using rope light? Where do you purchase the rope light that you can modify the lengths to match the faces. Are you just making the design of the face or where do you get the design of the faces to put on the frame? I am also trying to figure out how to create some faces for a halloween show as well. If anyone has any suggestions on that end as far as what type of lights to use for the outline of the faces and how to get them to the correct lengths. I am still learning about some of these new things as far as that part goes!

Thanks

Julie

gsxrgirl7 wrote:

Hi Tracy,

For your faces - are you using a are you using rope light? Where do you purchase the rope light that you can modify the lengths to match the faces. Are you just making the design of the face or where do you get the design of the faces to put on the frame? I am also trying to figure out how to create some faces for a halloween show as well. If anyone has any suggestions on that end as far as what type of lights to use for the outline of the faces and how to get them to the correct lengths. I am still learning about some of these new things as far as that part goes!

Thanks

Julie
for mine I bought a 150ft roll of incandescent rope lights figuring that my Halloween display is not going to be as elaborate from a power standpoint as Christmas and only run 4 days. Got my roll and extra ends at novelty-lights.com, i think the roll was $50-60 or so. It is marked every 18 inches. You can buy the lengths pre-made from these guys but the overall cost is really expensive. The trick as I understand it is to do the section of "face" that you want and where you don't want rope lights use black electricians tape to "blackout" that area.

I used just basic home depot rope lights for this project but I am thinking for the next 3 faces, I am going to buy a roll and try to cut to size has much as possible. I had extra rope that was run through the back which was blacked out with tape. Attaching a face to plywood is a little harder than chicken wire, I had to take a lot of time making sure where I wanted the rope lights before I attached and drilled holes. But the face came out well and I fired it up on the LOR last night and he looked really good! Now just 3 more to do! :shock:

Attached files 253880=13868-castle face 2011 002.jpg

Here is the 2nd of 4 faces done! :)
I am trying to get one face completed each weekend. Got one more small face to go and then on to the big frame face! :shock:

Attached files 255189=13996-castle face 2011 002.jpg

Here is Moe, Larry, and Curly! The Three Castle Faces! :P

I finished Curly in a 105 degrees! :shock:

Next weekend.... The big frame face! I am getting excited. Things are coming together quickly now as Halloween is fastly approaching!

Attached files 256635=14117-Moe Larry Curly.JPG

From those experienced with the frame setup.

I am looking at building a 4' x 5'" one for a singing face.
For support ... would a single T piece through the middle
be enough support ?!

I will be having 9 channels of LED rope light controlling the face.

Thank-you, as always, for your feedback !

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

From those experienced with the frame setup.

I am looking at building a 4' x 5'" one for a singing face.
For support ... would a single T piece through the middle
be enough support ?!

I will be having 9 channels of LED rope light controlling the face.

Thank-you, as always, for your feedback !

Dave

That would be plenty of support if you plan to just hang it from your house. I'm in the process of putting together an 8x8 frame with 3/4 PVC that I plan to attach to the eves of the house and I built what would look like a cross in a box type of frame and I seems to be plenty strong. I just dry fit all my pieces together and used a rubber mallet to snug them up. Figuring they won't be holding any internal pressure and they are harder than hell to pull apart it should be fine.

Here is the nearly completed big frame face! :P

I still have LED stands to put in between his eyes. That is tough! The zip ties tore my fingers up! :shock:

All for the LOVE of HALLOWEEN! :cool:

Attached files 258271=14255-DSCN2196.JPG

Tracy West wrote:

Here is the nearly completed big frame face! :P

I still have LED stands to put in between his eyes. That is tough! The zip ties tore my fingers up! :shock:

All for the LOVE of HALLOWEEN! :cool:
go to amazon.com, the zip tie gun is your best friend!! not overly expensive ($20-30) but the fingers you save will be your own.

Thanks! I will.

OMG!!!! :shock: My fingers are raw from all the zip ties!

And I still have a lot to do with the eyes.

I'm new to the whole pumkin faces and frames thing so...Tracy, the white 'ropes' on your big 10x10 frame are rope lights, right? If so, how do you cut each section of rope lights since they need seperate channels and how do you attach plugs? If i'm wrong and they're not rope lights, please explain.

Robert G. wrote:

I'm new to the whole pumpkin faces and frames thing so...Tracy, the white 'ropes' on your big 10x10 frame are rope lights, right? If so, how do you cut each section of rope lights since they need separate channels and how do you attach plugs? If i'm wrong and they're not rope lights, please explain.

rope lights can be cut to length "sorta", with the incandescent that length is 18" but I think LED's are 36" (someone correct me if i am wrong. Once you run it where you want it then you use black electricians tape to "black" out what you don't want to shine. If I am right, Tracy is using a 7 channel setup. The length of rope I have is 150' and came with five "connectors" and I bought twenty extra.

Ok, thanks much. As far as looks go, how would mini lights look instead of rope, ( also able to cut to length)...And are there any size of frame to house ratio? My peak of the roof is 20ft. I measured 12ft across the roof (enough to fit a 10ft frame) and it will hang down about 7-8ft off the ground..is this too big?

Thanks again.

Robert G. wrote:

Ok, thanks much. As far as looks go, how would mini lights look instead of rope, ( also able to cut to length)...And are there any size of frame to house ratio? My peak of the roof is 20ft. I measured 12ft across the roof (enough to fit a 10ft frame) and it will hang down about 7-8ft off the ground..is this too big?

Thanks again.
because of the spacing with mini's (usually 4-6 inches) you might want to consider using coro instead of this. with mini's you almost need them side by side, rope light eliminates that need but can be accomplished with coro.