Light-O-Rama Forums

Frames for Singing Pumpkin Faces

Tracy West

Making a PVC pipe frame was easy, but I need to make a much more sturdy frame for my large semi-free standing singing pumpkin face.

I know many of you guys showed pics of their metal frames made out of conduit. Would somebody show me (again) how ya'll made yours. Pics would be great as a reference.

I am wanting to build a ten x ten frame. Hopefully to be able to make two 5x5 frames and attach them. (Storage issues)

4 months until Halloween and I have so much to get done! :shock:

Confused! Two 5x5 frames do not equal a 10x10 frame. It would be a 5x10 frame. If thats the case, still use 3/4 PCV and use ground T-Stakes to support.

Tracy West wrote:

Making a PVC pipe frame was easy, but I need to make a much more sturdy frame for my large semi-free standing singing pumpkin face.

I know many of you guys showed pics of their metal frames made out of conduit. Would somebody show me (again) how ya'll made yours. Pics would be great as a reference.

I am wanting to build a ten x ten frame. Hopefully to be able to make two 5x5 frames and attach them. (Storage issues)

4 months until Halloween and I have so much to get done! :shock:
why the need for steel/metal? 3/4 PVC works magic, if you need more rigid then go to 1 inch. You can also reduce the size of the internal structure if you need to firm it up. Once you put 3"x4" cattle wire on it, then it aint going anywhere. Here are mine:

Thriller.jpg

If you weld, or know someone who does, you can make wire frames in sections.
Before I used LOR, I had a 2 channel fader, and I had 2 pumpkins that slowly changed from a smiling face to an evil face. here is a picture..

Attached files 250680=13621-DSCN7446.JPG

Those look great! I have one made with 3/4 pvc and it is really sturdy, but I am also going to have it attached to the house.

My semi-free standing one is going to be attached to my castle, but I am worried that the West Texas winds will make quick work of it if it is pvc (plastic)

Caniac; your frames look good. I also opted to use PVC vice steel conduit. No regrets, though I sprayed the PVC with flat black paint to reduce the visibility of the pipe.

Tracy West wrote:

Those look great! I have one made with 3/4 pvc and it is really sturdy, but I am also going to have it attached to the house.

My semi-free standing one is going to be attached to my castle, but I am worried that the West Texas winds will make quick work of it if it is pvc (plastic)
using the 3/4 PVC and cattle-wire you have a sturdy "frame". it is pretty rigid plastic but there is nothing for the wind to catch (parachute effect), for the winds to blow it apart something has to be offering resistance (cattle wire is round, rope light is round, and PVC is round). I do like the 3d looking round pumpkins though.

R Weiland wrote:

Caniac; your frames look good. I also opted to use PVC vice steel conduit. No regrets, though I sprayed the PVC with flat black paint to reduce the visibility of the pipe.
did the same here, took them home and spray painted a satin black finish.

I think the PVC will hold up fine, as long as its tied to something. I just make wire frames because it's easy enough for me to do, and there are things I can not do with PVC, like my santa and reindeer 15' above the roof line...
also, above the roof you see through and around the shapes. It's much cleaner with just one tube supporting each wire frame.
:)

You have never seen West Texas wind!

Last year my 15 foot Godzilla airblown that had 50 pound weights inside him and was secured down with ropes and stakes,was hit with 50 mph winds and was up-rooted and blew into my next door neighbors yard before I could get him deflated! (He still needs to be repaired)

I think I am going to try using 1 inch pvc on the large pumpkin face frame and with it being attached to my castle and secured to a tree, it should be fine. If not my neighbor will have a pumpkin face in his yard! :shock:

Tracy West wrote:

You have never seen West Texas wind!

Last year my 15 foot Godzilla airblown that had 50 pound weights inside him and was secured down with ropes and stakes,was hit with 50 mph winds and was up-rooted and blew into my next door neighbors yard before I could get him deflated! (He still needs to be repaired)

I think I am going to try using 1 inch pvc on the large pumpkin face frame and with it being attached to my castle and secured to a tree, it should be fine. If not my neighbor will have a pumpkin face in his yard! :shock:
we do a lot of LARGE inflatables at Christmas (the better half is an inflatable junkie) and last year we had two days of 50+ mph winds. had the same results as you, we turned them off for that period of time because two ended up in the neighbor's yard across the road and one in the middle of the road. We don't get high winds with any frequency (unless I made a taco bell run) but we have to deal with hurricanes during the summer and the occasional nor'easter. They are the general exception to the rule here but they do happen.

you might want to use ton's of zip ties and I can't say this often enough you have to go to monoprice.com. I bought a case of 24 packs of 100 each for the price of three packs at Lowe's.

Tracy; I think you are wise to use 1" pvc. 10' x 10' is very large and with your winds you will need the frame strong.

I would suggest using metal fence post, pounded in the ground until only about 2' is exposed. Slip the pvc over the posts, then using a pin or bolt go through the pcv and post. The posts will prevent it from blowing over, the pins will prevent it from lifting up.

I have a 16' free standing spiral tree made out of sucker rod, that looks like a wind mill. I extended the 4 feet 2' and I push them down into the ground to anchor it. It did fine in the south Texas wind. I store it standing on a concrete slab in the back and the wind has moved it around. Guessing I would say it weights 200 lbs, has a very small cross section to catch the wind (4-3/4" rods) and it still gets moved around.

ainsworth wrote:

Tracy; I think you are wise to use 1" pvc. 10' x 10' is very large and with your winds you will need the frame strong.

I would suggest using metal fence post, pounded in the ground until only about 2' is exposed. Slip the pvc over the posts, then using a pin or bolt go through the pcv and post. The posts will prevent it from blowing over, the pins will prevent it from lifting up.

I have a 16' free standing spiral tree made out of sucker rod, that looks like a wind mill. I extended the 4 feet 2' and I push them down into the ground to anchor it. It did fine in the south Texas wind. I store it standing on a concrete slab in the back and the wind has moved it around. Guessing I would say it weights 200 lbs, has a very small cross section to catch the wind (4-3/4" rods) and it still gets moved around.
great suggestions. and yet another use of t-post.

For my Siçnging Snowman I used this : you can do the same for Halloween.

Attached files 251850=13692-100_4146.JPG

I was experimenting with the whole concern of my singing face blowing off the house also.

What I think will work ... and a suggestion to others is to simply use large L hooks.

Hang the frame on two of them at the top and at the bottom, once the frame is in place spin the L hooks a half circle to lock the frame in place.

Does that make sense ?!

Dave

caniac wrote:

Once you put 3"x4" cattle wire on it, then it aint going anywhere. Here are mine:

Does the cattle wire come in a role or in sheets ?!

How does it compare to chicken wire as far as strength ... seems like chicken wire has smaller spaces for zip tieing.

Will have to look for it at our local stores.

Thanks,

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

caniac wrote:
Once you put 3"x4" cattle wire on it, then it aint going anywhere. Here are mine:

Does the cattle wire come in a role or in sheets ?!

How does it compare to chicken wire as far as strength ... seems like chicken wire has smaller spaces for zip tieing.

Will have to look for it at our local stores.

Thanks,

Dave
sorta both, I used the roll variety because of price and it is easy to work with on my pvc BUT they make a "sheet" variety here that looks welded and is heavy but comes in either 4' or 6' sheets. we have Tractor Supply stores here that specialize in all things farming though I am told Lowe's Hardware and Home Depot might have the roll variety.

I think I paid $20 for a 4' x 50' roll. I think the heavier guage "sheets" were like $50 each.