Light-O-Rama Forums

What's New in S3...

jimswinder

Jeff Millard wrote:

bob wrote:
That might be because "Convert to Group" didn't exist until five minutes ago. :P

This was the funniest post I'd read in days... until...

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:
Wow!!! Bob's S3 hoax is getting more bites than the last one.

I read this one.

I am so excited about being able to group channels. It is often very frustrating trying to see effects at the top of a channel list, from the bottom of that list. Being able to expand or put away groups of channel is brillient! Thank you developers and programming team.

Jeff

I also love that he wrote "just kidding":D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bob

• Paul Roberson

• LOR Staff

bob wrote:

I did specifically look at the menu you had on the screen...but did not see anything that said "Convert to Group"...

That might be because "Convert to Group" didn't exist until five minutes ago. :)

Oh geez...now Jim is going to think Bob is doing custom software development just for him...;):D:P:P

Any status on support for E1.31 ? If necessary, I'd pay a expanded protocols license upgrade cost for support of E1.31, Pixelnet, etc. I am hoping the native DMX support is coming for everyone.

Love the channels groups ... I can see so many uses for them. The megatree virtualizer is also great.

Is there a limit in the new animator to how large the graphic can be and/or how many megatrees can be shown?

Would love to someday see more lightshow-centric virtualizer options for arches, spinners, fans, tree lines, etc.

Pleases send in your request to Software Suggestions taybrynn wrote:

Any status on support for E1.31 ? If necessary, I'd pay a expanded protocols license upgrade cost for support of E1.31, Pixelnet, etc. I am hoping the native DMX support is coming for everyone.

Love the channels groups ... I can see so many uses for them. The megatree virtualizer is also great.

Is there a limit in the new animator to how large the graphic can be and/or how many megatrees can be shown?

Would love to someday see more lightshow-centric virtualizer options for arches, spinners, fans, tree lines, etc.

Pleases send in your request to Software Suggestions wishlist@lightorama.com
the more they will respond :dude:

DonFL wrote:

bob wrote:
I did specifically look at the menu you had on the screen...but did not see anything that said "Convert to Group"...

That might be because "Convert to Group" didn't exist until five minutes ago. :)

Oh geez...now Jim is going to think Bob is doing custom software development just for him...;):D:P:P

Am glad his post got a positive respones. We needed a "convert to group".

Maybe I need to get Jim to post my questions/suggestions.

I maybe on the 'ignore member' list.:?

Sorry, Paul, I'm not ignoring you - I am just not qualified to answer your question.

Questions on the following (and I'm sure much more, but these are ones that have been asked in this thread) I am probably not qualified to answer:

• Price
  • Time frame
  • DMX
  • Visualizer
  • SuperStar

bob wrote:

Sorry, Paul, I'm not ignoring you - I am just not qualified to answer your question.

Questions on the following (and I'm sure much more, but these are ones that have been asked in this thread) I am probably not qualified to answer:
  • Price
  • Time frame
  • DMX
  • Visualizer
  • SuperStar

Thanks for the respones.:cool:

taybrynn wrote:

Please remember that this is preliminary and that these specs are subject to change and may be different depending on a whole host of factors including license level. I can only talk about the technical aspects, Dan has all the rest of the answers, and may decide to pull or add functionality before release.

The size of the background is not limited, however there is a trade-off to be made: Larger simulations will require more computing power than smaller ones. You can resize your simulation easily at any time.

Unlike the old Visualizer, you don't really draw with 'channels'. Instead, you create things called 'Fixtures', and then wire those Fixtures to channels. The upper limit for the number of Fixtures is 1024.

Since you may not be familiar with the term 'Fixture' as we use it, let me try to explain it to you:

When talking about everything EXCEPT CCRs, A fixture is a collection of 1 or more channels that are part of a single display item. For example, you may have 4 colors on a bush on the left side of a garage. That would be a single fixture ('Left Garage Bush') with 4 channels. In the sample video, the 'Roof' is a single fixture with 4 channels (colors): Red, Green, Blue, White. If we are talking about a mega tree then a fixture would be one bundle of lights - a single region of the tree.

One or more Fixtures can be grouped together to form a 'Prop'. It may be easier to talk about a Mega Tree with real numbers:

A 4 color tree that has 8 regions would be 8 Fixtures of 4 channels each - a 32 channel tree. Those 8 Fixtures could be grouped together into 1 Prop called whatever you like e.g: 'Mega Tree'. If you use the 'Mega Tree Wizard', that is exactly what will happen.

There is a limit of 512 props. However, fixtures do not have to be part of a Prop - they can stand on their own and if they are not assigned to a prop do not count towards the limit.

The Visualizer only really cares about fixtures - Props are there only to make your life easier: By assigning all the regions of that Mega Tree to a prop, you can select the entire tree at once and edit it (move/copy/etc), rather than each Fixture (bundle) one-at-a-time.

The initial release has 'Wizards' to help you create Mega Trees, Arches, Fans, and CCR Matrices. There is no limit to the number of them you create, only to the total number of Fixtures and Props for the entire simulation.

Wow thanks Bob and Mike. I am overwhelmed with excitement and questions. Loved the LONG video.
My question is about the paste modes. Love them all ! But I didnt see one which would be useful.

I have been using tracks to create alternate groupings for my CCRs. When arranged in a matrix I set up rows in one track and columns in another and diagonals too. Since this is a matrix I am trying to achieve a chasing row or column, not strung out pixels end to end.

It would desirable to have each channel in a group have the same value instead of proportional through each. What I have been doing in s2 is just chasing the first one. But then for each of the remaining channels in the row I have to paste the chase result for the first to make all channels in the row the same.
A matrix mode would still fill in each channel when using the chase tool, but would calculate the number of steps from the number of groups instead of the number of total channels which were banded.

I hope you understood my description for the 'matrix chase' mode.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Is there a tool to draw a 'Z tree' in the new visualizer?

Unfortunately, not at this time. It is on the wish list but at this time I don't know when or if it will be implemented - that is a Dan decision.

Since you are using CCBs, you can use the 'Draw CCR Wizard' and string one yourself, or draw individual CCR pixels. In the eyes of the Visualizer, CCRs and CCBs are the same thing.

One of the nice features of the new Visualizer is that you can build a library of Fixtures and Props. Once you have created something, you could share it with others via the export/import functions.

Sorry, Bob, no, I did not understand. Could you please rephrase? Or perhaps post before-and-after screenshots of what you're doing now, describing how you're going from screenshot A to screenshot B and so forth?

DevMike wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Is there a tool to draw a 'Z tree' in the new visualizer?

Unfortunately, not at this time. It is on the wish list but at this time I don't know when or if it will be implemented - that is a Dan decision.

Since you are using CCBs, you can use the 'Draw CCR Wizard' and string one yourself, or draw individual CCR pixels. In the eyes of the Visualizer, CCRs and CCBs are the same thing.

One of the nice features of the new Visualizer is that you can build a library of Fixtures and Props. Once you have created something, you could share it with others via the export/import functions.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get S3 and get started.:)

Jeff Millard wrote:

I am so excited about being able to group channels. It is often very frustrating trying to see effects at the top of a channel list, from the bottom of that list. Being able to expand or put away groups of channel is brillient! Thank you developers and programming team.

Jeff

I agree!!!!!

This is the one I really like also.............This will save a lot of time scrolling through line after line during programing of my CCRs.

Is it released yet, is it released yet, is it released yet??? :) This kid can hardly wait till it's out!!!!!

Steve

bob wrote:

Sorry, Bob, no, I did not understand.  Could you please rephrase? Or perhaps post before-and-after screenshots of what you're doing now, describing how you're going from screenshot A to screenshot B and so forth?

I am using chase on 2D matrix. I put together a sample with 8 tracks all for a single CCR. Each is a different view of the same channels which causes a different pattern to appear on the matrix when the chase is used.
The animation shows the 50 channels in a vertical box 5 columns by 10 rows.

The problem is the chase tool is not 2D. Its a line or continuous. The channel groups has possibility of allowing the chase to be a 2D tool. To do patterns in the matrix, bulbs do not have to be connected by a wire.
Just next to each other. So the tracks rearrange them to be logically next to each other.
In a matrix you chase a line or set of bulbs. Not a single one. So I want all the lights in a group to come on at once. My real need is to chase the groups, and NOT to chase within the group. This means the chase tool would not consider the number of channels in the group when determining how many steps are needed to do the chase. Just consider the number of groups and make all the channels within the group the same segment of the chase.

Maybe you can pull this sequence into the new version and assign the groups. You will see that all the channels within have the same effects. But when the groups are closed it looks like a chase.

For each of the 8 tracks the groups look like a column for the effect I am trying to create. They look staggered when looking from a different track.

This post has the real layout I want to do. Much more complicated. The bulbs will be offset and rows will be at 60 degree angle. The yellow blue and pink will be channel groups.

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26525&forum_id=89&jump_to=245657#p245657

Try this example to see what I am talking about.
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2011/MatrixChaseExample.las

These are the groups I manually pasted the chase into.
MatrixChaseGroups.jpg

MatrixChaseExample.jpg

DevMike wrote:

taybrynn wrote:

Please remember that this is preliminary and that these specs are subject to change and may be different depending on a whole host of factors including license level. I can only talk about the technical aspects, Dan has all the rest of the answers, and may decide to pull or add functionality before release.

The size of the background is not limited, however there is a trade-off to be made: Larger simulations will require more computing power than smaller ones. You can resize your simulation easily at any time.

Unlike the old Visualizer, you don't really draw with 'channels'. Instead, you create things called 'Fixtures', and then wire those Fixtures to channels. The upper limit for the number of Fixtures is 1024.

Since you may not be familiar with the term 'Fixture' as we use it, let me try to explain it to you:

When talking about everything EXCEPT CCRs, A fixture is a collection of 1 or more channels that are part of a single display item. For example, you may have 4 colors on a bush on the left side of a garage. That would be a single fixture ('Left Garage Bush') with 4 channels. In the sample video, the 'Roof' is a single fixture with 4 channels (colors): Red, Green, Blue, White. If we are talking about a mega tree then a fixture would be one bundle of lights - a single region of the tree.

One or more Fixtures can be grouped together to form a 'Prop'. It may be easier to talk about a Mega Tree with real numbers:

A 4 color tree that has 8 regions would be 8 Fixtures of 4 channels each - a 32 channel tree. Those 8 Fixtures could be grouped together into 1 Prop called whatever you like e.g: 'Mega Tree'. If you use the 'Mega Tree Wizard', that is exactly what will happen.

There is a limit of 512 props. However, fixtures do not have to be part of a Prop - they can stand on their own and if they are not assigned to a prop do not count towards the limit.

The Visualizer only really cares about fixtures - Props are there only to make your life easier: By assigning all the regions of that Mega Tree to a prop, you can select the entire tree at once and edit it (move/copy/etc), rather than each Fixture (bundle) one-at-a-time.

The initial release has 'Wizards' to help you create Mega Trees, Arches, Fans, and CCR Matrices. There is no limit to the number of them you create, only to the total number of Fixtures and Props for the entire simulation.

So maybe a captain obvious moment here, but as I read this, it means the visualizer gets more "object oriented"...seems to make a whole lot more logical sense.

DonFL

So maybe a captain obvious moment here, but as I read this, it means the visualizer gets more "object oriented"...seems to make a whole lot more logical sense.

Yes.

There is NO real connection between your sequences and the visualization. The 'objects' (Fixtures and Props) you create are independent of everything else. The only connection is how you set up (Wire) the channels on the fixtures.

Doing things this way allows you to first design what you want your display (the Stage) to look like before you get mired in deciding what channels you need, what they are going to be named and where they are going to go. Once you have that done, you can come back to your visualization and Wire everything up.

for me the new visualizer would be worth the price.......if any:cool: i don't like spending hours drawing on the current one.everything else looks very cool as well. lor getting better all the time

DevMike wrote:

DonFL

Yes.

There is NO real connection between your sequences and the visualization. The 'objects' (Fixtures and Props) you create are independent of everything else. The only connection is how you set up (Wire) the channels on the fixtures.

Doing things this way allows you to first design what you want your display (the Stage) to look like before you get mired in deciding what channels you need, what they are going to be named and where they are going to go. Once you have that done, you can come back to your visualization and Wire everything up.

Still trying to get my brain around everything new in S3. Do you know if the wizards will help create a Weber tree in the visualizer?