Light-O-Rama Forums

My 2011 Animatronic show project

Christmas_time_karl_UK

I am going to attempt a Santa Claus, Penguin, Polar Bear and Reindeer band to perform outside my display. I am just about to source parts and build prototype santa and penguin and control with R/C transmitter and reciever if it works I will go to servodog!

Kb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christmas_time_karl_UK

• paulanator

• TJ Hvasta

• Jason Burge

For Halloween, I use Lindberg skulls, with 4 servos (3-axis and a jaw).. this past year, the wife did clay/paper mache on one skull to make a witchs face for HocusPocus' "Come Little Children".. anyway.. I use Lynxmotion 32ch servo board ($39) to run the servos.. cant use it with LOR, and the servo controller uses audio files to convert sound to digital movement.. works well and the learning curve is easier than LOR..

For Santa, elves, etc, you could use a skull, paper mache/clay over it.. just an idea..

• 2 weeks later...

All them views and only 1 feedback comment!? Thanks Steven =)2 of my 4 actual puppet characters have arrived in the country from the USA and I am awaiting a customs payment charge so I can receive my parcel and start going full scale!! Whilst waiting I am adding another movement axis on the prototype...arm, head turn and head rock to and fro.

Christmas_time_karl_UK wrote:

All them views and only 1 feedback comment!?

I thought the video was pretty cool. Don't get upset if nobody comments as I didn't because most people don't know much about anamatronics:)

I concur with Jason ... looks cool but not knowing anything about this field I can't be a critic either way .. other than the concept is cool !

kool fair play, I dont know anything about animatronics either!! I am making it up as I go along ;-) haha New video coming soon...

Hi All.

2 of my 4 hand puppets have arrived so i will start adding my protype technology and engineering on these 2 guys to get them singing and moving!!

Attached files 252896=13783-santac.jpg

Is the penguin going to have happy feet? Can't wait to see the finished project.

haha hmmm maybe..his feet are a bit short to meddle with. I am already planning surgery to insert access zip in back and chop off head & beak for head turning and mouth moving and 2 servos for the arms.... but may just keep it mouth and arms...

Karl,
that looks great, and good job on converting those puppets. I look forward to watching your project progress!

singing and drumming test for penguin which is nearly complete.

I am manually controlling this so I cant makeall of his movements or co-ordinate them properly. Servodog will take control soon!!?