Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnoldc

• jimswinder

• Ron Amedee

• BrownOut

jimswinder wrote:

Very Nice!!

Can you make me some Mini Trees!?!?!!?
LOL! gotta put that on the list! I still have 20 of these to make, get my wreath, 4 more songs to sequence, oh and a bday song for a coworker that doesnt know we know his bday yet..

Cant wait for the finished product!! I really like how the lower section has a C-9 bulb look to it!! GREAT JOB Arnold!!!!

John Slade wrote:

Cant wait for the finished product!! I really like how the lower section has a C-9 bulb look to it!! GREAT JOB Arnold!!!!

The plan is for the prototype to be completed by Friday night. Im kinda curious if the way I plan on connection the bottom and the top will be easy to pull apart to change the lights without crushing the foam. I have another idea just incase it is a little too stiff.

John Slade Wrote

I hope the C9 part is the TOP or it would be HARD to mount !!!

Looks Great !!!

The design has a 1/2" pvc pipe that goes in the center of the light, this is part that keeps everything centered but also removable to change the light.. Now, I plan on wrapping minis around that pvc pipe to get the effect.. I could modify it easily to handle a c9 bulb

Arnoldc wrote:

The design has a 1/2" pvc pipe that goes in the center of the light, this is part that keeps everything centered but also removable to change the light.. Now, I plan on wrapping minis around that pvc pipe to get the effect.. I could modify it easily to handle a c9 bulb

why not put an actual socket in it and use one of those lights that "flicker" like a candle?

jimswinder wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:

why not put an actual socket in it and use one of those lights that "flicker" like a candle?

That would be too easy.

MikeH

Well this is what it looks like so far.. Tomorrow, light sanding and paint then add the "glass" and waaaalaaaa
However, there is a mold change. I have decided to skip the halves and make them in once piece.. This will eliminate the issues of filling and sanding. Plus it will be a better looking product at the end.

Attached files 250834=13626-Light.JPG

Arnoldc wrote:

Well this is what it looks like so far.. Tomorrow, light sanding and paint then add the "glass" and waaaalaaaa
However, there is a mold change. I have decided to skip the halves and make them in once piece.. This will eliminate the issues of filling and sanding. Plus it will be a better looking product at the end.

Excellent! Be sure to post a order form as well!:D :D Your gonna be BUSY!!!! LOL

The prototype is about done, I have some touch up paint to do, plus some more jigs to make.. But this is what it looks like as of now.. Keep in mind I do have a new mold being made as we speak.. So the finish should come out more uniform.

Attached files 250901=13627-light2.JPG

After leaving the light out in the Texas 105 heat over the weekend I have discovered a few issues. The foam is warping and pulling away from the legs.. Also, my great idea of having the bottom removable, works but doesn't work..
So after some thinking, I have resolved both of these issues. I plan on gluing a 1/8" thick wood plate both under the top (where the light goes) and on top of the bottom (where the light goes)and adding blocks in the corners where the vertical risers go.. All 3 sides will be glued into place and the 4th will be screwed into those blocks. This will do 2 things, one it will eliminate the need for the PVC pipe. So the ones that want to use the c9 bulbs do not have worry about a PVC pipe being in the way and can hide the wire simply by gluing it to the corner blocks. Second, it will guarantee that the light cannot warp, making my life a little easier.. The sub structure I had used on the one above worked great, but it was loose from the bottom.. The new structure everything will be in once piece minus one panel. I'm hoping this will speed up the build time to just an hour per light. (If I sell these they will come top bottom, glass and legs, with directions how to assemble and what paint to use). Now, its just a waiting game til my new molds are ready.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting all the tweaks done so I can start cranking them out! I got another lamp design I'm working on as well. One thing at a time! lol

The new plugs are in the works. I used plaster to make the new plugs. As you can see by the picture I an blending the 2 pieces so they are one. This is my 3rd go around on this.. Im finding that the dingle berry is somewhat difficult to keep on with plaster.. I will have this completed by tomorrow morning, then time to pour rubber! Hopefully new mold will be in house by Thursday.
I also have all my jigs completed now!

Attached files 252500=13743-IMG00631-20110712-2139.jpg

Attached is the last light of the "half" version. This one came out a lot better. Tomorrow I will have the new molds so I will start posting pictures of that for now on.
This one I included all the changes as mentioned earlier. There is a 1/8" thick piece of wood on both top and bottom in the inside of the lantern. Then I put wood blocks to accept the legs and glass, also to allow for one face to be removed for light access.

Attached files 252632=13750-IMG00635-20110713-2114.jpg