Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caniac

FireSticks

Jeff Millard wrote:

It would almost be cheaper and easier just to cut up a CCR. It would only be 3 LED's per segment... but I want something like that for North Poles rather than firesticks... 7 of them. 2 Ribbons and I could get 14 segments ion each pole... Hmmmm.....

Jeff
is the hamster wheel spinning at warp speed?

andyzito wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/christmaslunatic#p/u/5/BPy5RPV1_J8

Here is a video of 4 'fire sticks' (i've called them 'color columns') that i just made. They have 8 segments. I used 12v flexible LED strips. I used the RGB style strips, so i can have the poles produce any color i want by mixing the RGB. I had used traditional mini lights last year and once i wrapped the 3rd color of lights around the pole A) it looked like green cotton candy and :( the color on the bottom got buried. These 12v strips worked perfectly. Columns are really really clean looking (and bright as the sun).

i used a 4" pvc pipe. I also didn't wrap the LEDS all the way around. I used (24) 8" strips. 8 sections, 3 strips per section.

So that's (24) individual channels. For connection, i pulled off the coolest thing. I have (24) negative connections and one common positive connection, for a total of 25 connections. I used a 25 pin DSub connector. I wired 2 female ports into the base of each pole. Then in the controller box i wired in female ports as well. I got a few 25' 25 pin Male to Male cables and voila... set up is so easy. The 2 ports on each pole mean they can be daisy chained. Let me know if you want more detailed instrux...

Quick question... how many LED's per inch (or per meter)? What a GREAT looking addition to any display!

finished product.

Lighted hallway:

Firestick2.jpg

dark hallway:

firestick1.jpg

The flex strips I've seen can be cut at every 3 leds, so cut at six, maybe go to a 3" pole, 4 segments per section, and have 7 sections per pole. Thus using 21 channels per pole instead of 24. A five segment pole would be 15 channels with one to spare for a Dan-Burst.

lightzilla wrote:

Stick a Triple Star on top & you get a " Star Burst". Stick 10 to 16 "Firesticks" side by side spaced between 12 -16 inches and you have a Matrix.

Use just two and you have a giant "VU meter".

Andy, these are great idea's on the Fire Sticks.
How did you mount them to the ground.
Thanks so much for the insperation on these.
I'll be setting some up this year.

Jim

riverrat_jim wrote:

Andy, these are great idea's on the Fire Sticks.
How did you mount them to the ground.
Thanks so much for the inspiration on these.
I'll be setting some up this year.

Jim
in my case i used 4ft rebar pounded halfway in the ground and slid mine over top of that. then used fishing string as guide wire.