Light-O-Rama Forums

FireSticks

caniac

andyzito wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/christmaslunatic#p/u/5/BPy5RPV1_J8

Here is a video of 4 'fire sticks' (i've called them 'color columns') that i just made. They have 8 segments. I used 12v flexible LED strips. I used the RGB style strips, so i can have the poles produce any color i want by mixing the RGB. I had used traditional mini lights last year and once i wrapped the 3rd color of lights around the pole A) it looked like green cotton candy and :D the color on the bottom got buried. These 12v strips worked perfectly. Columns are really really clean looking (and bright as the sun).

i used a 4" pvc pipe. I also didn't wrap the LEDS all the way around. I used (24) 8" strips. 8 sections, 3 strips per section.

So that's (24) individual channels. For connection, i pulled off the coolest thing. I have (24) negative connections and one common positive connection, for a total of 25 connections. I used a 25 pin DSub connector. I wired 2 female ports into the base of each pole. Then in the controller box i wired in female ports as well. I got a few 25' 25 pin Male to Male cables and voila... set up is so easy. The 2 ports on each pole mean they can be daisy chained. Let me know if you want more detailed instrux...

Those are awesome. Are you controlling them with a LOR DC board? Maybe some closeup pics and wiring info.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• Cray Augsburg

• Arnoldc

• jimswinder

Thanks.

Each pole cost about $15 in pvc and wire, and $80 for the roll of RGB leds. Yes, i'm using (2) LOR DC controllers. So figure $200 in controllers and then $100 for each column. Not bad at all i don't think.

if anyone wants the specifics PM me, i'm trying to finalize the 4th of july show which starts Wednesday night... i don't think i need to explain to the folks in this forum how much work i have to do this weekend!

Pic with closeup of wiring is attached. Excuse the messy wiring please. I dont know why, but i took the picture of the 1st of 4 poles i built. I'm sure you will all appreciate that the prototype always sucks just a little :P. #s 2,3, & 4 are way neater....but you get the point.

Attached files 249980=13566-IMAG0806.jpg

Andy:

Those are absolutely [insert strong positive descriptive word here since the good ones have been used]!!!

Great idea, good execution (even if the wiring on the proto wasn't as clean as it could be).

Really like this a lot! Have to put it on my wishlist.

andyzito wrote:

Thanks.

Each pole cost about $15 in pvc and wire, and $80 for the roll of RGB leds. Yes, i'm using (2) LOR DC controllers. So figure $200 in controllers and then $100 for each column. Not bad at all i don't think.

if anyone wants the specifics PM me, i'm trying to finalize the 4th of july show which starts Wednesday night... i don't think i need to explain to the folks in this forum how much work i have to do this weekend!

Pic with closeup of wiring is attached. Excuse the messy wiring please. I dont know why, but i took the picture of the 1st of 4 poles i built. I'm sure you will all appreciate that the prototype always sucks just a little :D. #s 2,3, & 4 are way neater....but you get the point.

So how are they hooked up to the DC controller? Is each colour hooked up separately( into a channel) on the DC Card ?

Could you please post any pictures showing the wires going to the DC card and are hooked up?

andyzito wrote:

Here is a video of 4 'fire sticks' (i've called them 'color columns') that i just made. They have 8 segments. I used 12v flexible LED strips. I used the RGB style strips, so i can have the poles produce any color i want by mixing the RGB. I had used traditional mini lights last year and once i wrapped the 3rd color of lights around the pole A) it looked like green cotton candy and :D the color on the bottom got buried. These 12v strips worked perfectly. Columns are really really clean looking (and bright as the sun).
very nice work, please be sure and post the Halloween videos

Jeff Millard wrote:

24 strips, 3 channels per strip = 72. 2 DC controllers would net you 32 channels... How are you controlling 5+ controllers worth of RGB with 2 controllers? Do tell!

Jeff

The way I read it, Andy:

"used (24) 8" strips. 8 sections, 3 strips per section."

Eight sections (segments) of RGB should equal 24 channels [per pole].

Unless, of course, my math is a little off. :P

evan.a wrote:

here's another video to throw in the mix

Yeah! Seen that one before. Lovie it! The firesticks and their action really fit well with the music.

Jeff Millard wrote:

If you look at the video, it appears each strip of 24 is individually controllable.

Jeff

EDIT, nope! It's coming on 3 strips at a time. So, I'll re-do the math... 24 channels?

PS, I'm finding sleeved RGB 5050s for under $30 shipped, on eBay.

Sokay, Jeff.

Actually, was hoping that if there were a mistake with my math, you'd catch it for me. I had the same question you did before going back and checking again, only to discover the "three strips per segment" statement. In the end, 4 columns equals 6 DC controllers. That seems a lot for four columns -- BUT, they're so good looking!

Jeff Millard wrote:

It would almost be cheaper and easier just to cut up a CCR. It would only be 3 LED's per segment... but I want something like that for North Poles rather than firesticks... 7 of them. 2 Ribbons and I could get 14 segments ion each pole... Hmmmm.....

Jeff
is the hamster wheel spinning at warp speed?

andyzito wrote:

Here is a video of 4 'fire sticks' (i've called them 'color columns') that i just made. They have 8 segments. I used 12v flexible LED strips. I used the RGB style strips, so i can have the poles produce any color i want by mixing the RGB. I had used traditional mini lights last year and once i wrapped the 3rd color of lights around the pole A) it looked like green cotton candy and :( the color on the bottom got buried. These 12v strips worked perfectly. Columns are really really clean looking (and bright as the sun).

i used a 4" pvc pipe. I also didn't wrap the LEDS all the way around. I used (24) 8" strips. 8 sections, 3 strips per section.

So that's (24) individual channels. For connection, i pulled off the coolest thing. I have (24) negative connections and one common positive connection, for a total of 25 connections. I used a 25 pin DSub connector. I wired 2 female ports into the base of each pole. Then in the controller box i wired in female ports as well. I got a few 25' 25 pin Male to Male cables and voila... set up is so easy. The 2 ports on each pole mean they can be daisy chained. Let me know if you want more detailed instrux...

Quick question... how many LED's per inch (or per meter)? What a GREAT looking addition to any display!

• 1 month later...

The flex strips I've seen can be cut at every 3 leds, so cut at six, maybe go to a 3" pole, 4 segments per section, and have 7 sections per pole. Thus using 21 channels per pole instead of 24. A five segment pole would be 15 channels with one to spare for a Dan-Burst.

lightzilla wrote:

Stick a Triple Star on top & you get a " Star Burst". Stick 10 to 16 "Firesticks" side by side spaced between 12 -16 inches and you have a Matrix.

Use just two and you have a giant "VU meter".

• 7 months later...

Andy, these are great idea's on the Fire Sticks.
How did you mount them to the ground.
Thanks so much for the insperation on these.
I'll be setting some up this year.

Jim

riverrat_jim wrote:

Andy, these are great idea's on the Fire Sticks.
How did you mount them to the ground.
Thanks so much for the inspiration on these.
I'll be setting some up this year.

Jim
in my case i used 4ft rebar pounded halfway in the ground and slid mine over top of that. then used fishing string as guide wire.