Light-O-Rama Forums

Long time lerker first time buyer

jamie_huffman@hotmail.com

caniac wrote:

It's gotta be true, I read it on a message board somewhere!!!

You start believing everything you see on the internet and you're likely to give yourself a heart attack...

George Simmons wrote:

caniac wrote:

You start believing everything you see on the internet and you're likely to give yourself a heart attack...
it's the family joke around here, the sister-in-law likes to quote what she reads online as "FACT" but when you dig deeper it is usually something someone said on a message board or a chat room. I AM NOT an electrician nor do i care to be one so getting called out when I am incorrect is just another day in paradise.

Well after the responces and days of reading I think I'm going to get the following:

(2) ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Partially Assembled
&

yhst-1552586516070_2156_1580013 with the Advanced Level software

Do I need anything to link the 2 16 channels or does the software do this for me? Also, I believe this software allows me to use music but i just want to double check. Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks everyone

caniac wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
caniac wrote:

it's the family joke around here, the sister-in-law likes to quote what she reads online as "FACT" but when you dig deeper it is usually something someone said on a message board or a chat room.  I AM NOT an electrician nor do i care to be one so getting called out when I am incorrect is just another day in paradise.

It's funny, you can have an entire thread thats all lies about software and it's all good. But make a false statement about electronics, of GFCI's, and they will drive to your house with torches and pitch forks!:)

jamie_huffman@hotmail.com wrote:

Well after the responces and days of reading I think I'm going to get the following:

(2) ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Partially Assembled
&
Advanced Level software

Do I need anything to link the 2 16 channels or does the software do this for me?

Thanks everyone

You need a CAT5 cable to link the two controllers together. You also need a USB485 adaptor to connect your computer to the controllers.

Get the Generic Starter Kit: http://store.lightorama.com/spk800.html

It would include everything you need, The USB485 adaptor, cat 5 cable and software. (You can even choose the software level you need.)

(You will be short one CAT5 cable, as the generic starter kit only comes with one cable. You would need a total of two. One to get from your computer to the first controller, and one to get from Controller1 to Controller2.)

I think Don missed that you were getting the Advanced Software...which is good...you will like the features it has...

jimswinder wrote:

I think Don missed that you were getting the Advanced Software...which is good...you will like the features it has...

Nope. Didn't miss that.

Buying the PC controller(s) and software does you no good if you don't have a way to connect it to your computer. Thus, the recommendation for the starter kit.

Don wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Nope. Didn't miss that.

Buying the PC controller(s) and software does you no good if you don't have a way to connect it to your computer. Thus, the recommendation for the starter kit.

Sorry...thought you missed it since you said:

It would include everything you need, The USB485 adaptor, cat 5 cable and software. (You can even choose the software level you need.)

jimswinder wrote:

Well, my apologies Jim.

I should have said ...

"Instead of buying the Advanced Software, purchase the Generic Starter kit, which includes the CAT5 Cable, USB485 adaptor and software. Since the software doesn't come with the CAT5 cable(s) or USB485 Adaptor, you'd need to purchase them as well. This would raise the overall cost.

"Purchase the Generic Starter Kit and save some money."

I'll go back to my corner now. *shakes head*

jimswinder wrote:

Plus, if you were to get the Generic Starter Kit and the Advanced Software ... you would have bought the software twice.

Sure, LOR probably would have refunded the money (as would I) but it's a hassle that no one needs to go through. Not LOR and not the customer.