Light-O-Rama Forums

How many CCRs will LOR handle?

DownTown

ItsMeBobO wrote:

DownTown wrote:
Another question - Suppose I have a bumch (say 10) CCR stripes running down the side of my house. If I use a macro that fills the CCR from one end to the other, and I start that macro on all 10 CCRs at once, will the macro finish on all 10 of them at the same instant? I  guess the root of my question is, do the CCRs respond at the exact same rate to the same commands? This would be important if I were to program some chases running diagonally down across the grid of CCRs.

Thanks for your time.

D.T.

Last year I built 4 CCR matrix boxes and used mostly Macros with them. There were only a few times they got out of sync. So it does happen. But for my requirements it was close enough.
I sent the same chase macro and speed to all four and one would occasionally be a fraction of a second behind. It was always the same one too. So it may be correctable in the sequence, but I never got around to trying before I took them down.

I have an update to this question of the CCR macros getting out of sync. I found the settings on the one which was going faster were not the same as the other 7 ccrs. The internal speed was set to 9. All the others had 8 which is normal speed. This change back to 8 has resolved my problem and now they all move at the same speed.

• 1 month later...

I am planning to have a total of 8 CCR's and 11 CCB's in the near future, along with six 16-channel controllers. I understand from this thread that I'll need to break it down into around three if not four networks. Can I use the Easy Light Linkers for each network, without one interfering with the other, and still maintain the speed I need for .03 to .05 second timings? Is there a minimum spacing requirement between ELL transmitters?

Dan,

Would using one USB out of the computer be sufficient? Is the USB speed sufficient to handle 4 USB networks coming out of the USB hub? Just wondering....thx!

Wayne

WayneKremer wrote:

Is the USB speed sufficient to handle 4 USB networks coming out of the USB hub?

USB 1.1 can go up to 12 Mbit/s. USB 2.0 can go up to 480 Mbit/s.

The highest possible speed for an LOR network is 115.2 Kbit/s.

So yes, the USB speed is sufficient to handle more than the maximum 16 networks.

Wayne,

I believe that essentially all the usb ports on a given computer are basically set up as a hub anyway. I may be wrong with this, If I am wrong I hope someone will correct me. Dan has stated in the past. If you are going to use a usb hub, then it NEEDS to be a powered hub.

Chuck

OK, good on the USB speeds being sufficient. Would it be ideal to run it through a hub though? I know in the networking world, it is best to eliminate the switching as much as possible.

I know from reading other post where Dan has posted. He has recommended using a powered hub. Most likely just a matter of preference if you computer has enough usb ports on board.

Chuck

• The topic was locked