Light-O-Rama Forums

New twist on candy cane spinners idea

kzaas

Guest Don Gillespie

Mountainwxman wrote:

Mine are 15 channel with the 16th for center strobe lights.

IMAG0056.jpg

I have a red and green one.

william these look great I did notice however when you are using your skill saw you have the blade set to deep thus cutting into your sawhorses, possibly weakening them LOL :) but really I like the way you have mounted your canes to the fence easy to store and easy to hang thanks for posting your pic for others to see.

Mountainwxman wrote:

LOL. Those things have been around for about 15 years. It's getting to the point that I need to build new one's.

Yeah - it does look like the legs have a termite problem...

Mountainwxman wrote:

Thank you. It's welded fencing that comes in panels of 48 inches tall and 16 feet long.

Do u mind if I ask the cost ?!

Will have to see if we have something like that north of the border.

Thanks,

Dave

Guest Don Gillespie

RaceMedic wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
Thank you. It's welded fencing that comes in panels of 48 inches tall and 16 feet long.

Do u mind if I ask the cost ?!

Will have to see if we have something like that north of the border.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave chicken wire might work up here in the north, its light and when the canes are mounted it should strengthen the wire, I haven't tried it but I will let you know once I give it a shot

Don Gillespie wrote:

Dave chicken wire might work up here in the north, its light and when the canes are mounted it should strengthen the wire, I haven't tried it but I will let you know once I give it a shot

I am doing an animated face and looking for something to mount all the rope light to.

Time to take a trip to the hardware store and look at options.

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

I am doing an animated face and looking for something to mount all the rope light to.

Dave
3/4 inch pvc is your friend, all sorts of ways to build it. then anything from chicken wire to cattle wire on top of that. then lots and lots of wire ties!

Guest Don Gillespie

caniac wrote:

RaceMedic wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:

Dave
3/4 inch pvc is your friend, all sorts of ways to build it. then anything from chicken wire to cattle wire on top of that. then lots and lots of wire ties!
You know it just hit me I was in my suppliers yard picking up some eavstrough coil and wham right in front of my face I saw it stucco wire this would work perfect can't believe I didn't think of this earlier

• 6 months later...

This is an old thread but I thought I would get some expert advice on my Candy Cane Spinners.
I picked up a box of 12 36" Candy Canes with 23 icans. They did not seem to be very bright so split the candy cane on one side and was able to cram in 50 Cool White LED 5MM Wide Angle lights that I had laying around. It still seem a bit dull but I think I can live with it.
I was also considering wrapping the canes with White and Red LEDS instead instead of filling the Candy Canes with lights. Has anyone tried this? I am worried that the diameter of the CC is too small to support wrapping. Any other advice about creating this element would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The canes are likely to small to wrap effectivily, try rope light, some rope lights can be cut at 18" allowing 2 sections for each cane ( if they are the 32" tall ones. also 20 light mini lights work GREAT. you will need check the overall lenght and may need to shorten the distance between each bulb (zip tie). I use both of these ways on my canes.

Linda McDonald wrote:

Here's mine:

IMG_3462.jpg

Our controller arrived late, so I only had 5 spare channels. Next year, each candy cane and and the snowflake in the center will have it's own channel.

Like the idea of the snowflake in the middle.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

As I looked at Linda's picture I was thinking those exact same words, and then I scrolled down and saw that Surfing saved me the time of coming up with them for myself.

George Simmons wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

As I looked at Linda's picture I was thinking those exact same words, and then I scrolled down and saw that Surfing saved me the time of coming up with them for myself.

Thank you! Snowflake came into mind when I decided to make the pinwheel after seeing Brian Mitchell's picture at 3 in the morning and didn't have anything to hold the candy canes in place. I had my DH make the frame out of PVC pipe the next day. We took it down today, it stores nicely hanging on the shed wall with two nails.

Linda

George Simmons wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

As I looked at Linda's picture I was thinking those exact same words, and then I scrolled down and saw that Surfing saved me the time of coming up with them for myself.

Great minds think alike. However, it took you nearly 4 times as many words to explain how I saved you having to come up with them yourself. Sorry for the extra work. :)

I should note that I also like William's idea of the strobes in the middle. Maybe some combination of the two will be in order. I am thinking about laying a spinner on my slanted roof (one on each half) next year. Would love to see any pics/video if anybody has done similar.