Light-O-Rama Forums

do you play christmas songs till new years

jjd35

Last year was my first year with LOR and I played christmas songs from thanksgiving till news year day. I have seen a couple of people change things up after christmas. I am just curious do you play christmas songs up till new years or do you change up after christmas. I am starting to look at this years display and trying to decide what to do. What has been everyones experience

We play Christmas songs til New Years Eve. I have a couple we add to the show on New Years Eve, but continue to play all the Christmas songs thru the Epiphany.

I play Christmas Music from Thanksgiving Night to New Years Night, Then I remove "or unplug" the more traditional Christmas Display, remove my Merry Christmas Sign (over 16 feet long and 5 feet high) and add some more lights and play some good ole' classic rock that goes well to lights, like...
Styx - Rockin' The Paradise
Skynyrd's - Freebird
AC/DC - Back in black
Hot Butter - Popcorn
Eagles - Hotel California
Mason Williams - Classical Gas

stuff like that, and that runs a few weeks until the snow melts

I run mine Thanksgiving through New Year's Eve. I'm from the school that's sick of Christmas music by the time Christmas finally gets here (I think it has to do with getting older too) so I strip out any mention of Santa Claus after Dec 24, and then strip out anything specifically related to Christmas after Dec 25. The rest, which is a pretty significant number of tunes, plays the remainder of the season.

Last year I only played my songs during the weekends, unless testing or playing for a quest. I didn't have a transmitter, so I didn't want to bug the neighbors or family too much during the week. After Christmas went primarily to an animated display unless a request was made. I wanted to do a News Years show, But I felt I didn't have enough lights to get as bright and flashy as I wanted that a countdown would require.

I play Chrismtas music until New Yeas Eve...though it was my plan last year (and this year) to sequence some non Christmas Music to play after Christmas...

I also use January 1st to take everything down....

Usually I keep things going as is until new years day, in 2010 we had so much snow already on the ground that when everything was buried again on Christmas Eve, I just pulled the plug.

George Simmons wrote:

I'm from the school that's sick of Christmas music by the time Christmas finally gets here (I think it has to do with getting older too) so I strip out any mention of Santa Claus after Dec 24, and then strip out anything specifically related to Christmas after Dec 25.

To keep this in perspective, let's remember that the traditional Christian (both Protestant and Catholic) season of Advent starts four Sundays before Christmas and is typically celebrated with hymns such as "People Look East", "O come, O come, Emmanuel", and others that you only hear in church.

The Christian season of Christmas is from December 25 or January 5, and is when most "Christmas" songs are sung, such as "Joy to the World", "O Little Town of Bethlehem", "God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen", etc.

Then, we have "Winter" songs such as "Sleigh Ride", "White Christmas", "The Christmas Song", "Winter Wonderland", which are good until it gets warm, although in our area there isn't a real winter.

And of course, there are the fun, Santa Claus, "commercialization of Christmas" songs. If my visitors get tired of these songs they can always leave.

And, by the way, the best estimates for the day when Jesus of Nazareth was born is sometime in April, 4 B.C.

In the Julian Calendar, the Winter Solstice occurred on about December 25 (although the Julian Calendar drifted a bit - that's why it was replaced)

Guest Don Gillespie

I too use the Christmas music, as long as my wife will let me keep my display up, keeping with tradition as soon as my wife is done unwrapping her gifts Christmas is over and she is determined to start taking everything down, I however battle her every step of the way and try to leave them up for newyears, also the take down starts the following morning. ;)

Don Gillespie wrote:

I too use the Christmas music, as long as my wife will let me keep my display up, keeping with tradition as soon as my wife is done unwrapping her gifts Christmas is over and she is determined to start taking everything down, I however battle her every step of the way and try to leave them up for newyears, also the take down starts the following morning. ;)

Don are we married to the same woman?

Not to Hijack I too play "Christmas" music till New Years Eve. I have wanted to sequence popular songs to use for after Christmas but never have gotten around to it. By December 26th the people that come are regulars and just like to see the lights another time or two or they are bringing someone to see the "really awesome Christmas Display wih the lights that move to music." I am not really sure if it matters as much to our visitors as it does to us.

jfelix wrote:

I have wanted to sequence popular songs to use for after Christmas but never have gotten around to it.

I just want to have one 1/2 hour show of "dance" music every Friday and Saturday night...a late show for the "younger" crowd...

Guest Don Gillespie

jfelix wrote:

Don are we married to the same woman?

well if we are it could be trouble, LOL ;)

I spend an hour a day after supper to sequence so if you have a spare hour at any time of the day it is amazing how much you can sequence in a week so your wish list for different music should be do-able :)

Same music all the way untill 11:59 then at midnight light flash for 3 minutes and all goes dark for another year : (

I'll usually keep the display on thru (and including) New Years Day or the weekend after New Years Day. Then I light the Christmas Trees up with the Red and White lights from Mid-January to Valentine's Day. As I keep the Green lights on the trees also, I'll turn the Green and White from early March to St. Patrick's Day. Although I may nix the St. Pat's day lights...I wind up having my early season flowers start growing around the stands, and listening to the wife reminding me not to destroy the flowers when I start taking the trees down!