Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC

Hi I have a CTB16PC and suddenly the channel 16 stays lit all the time on low ,I can increase the light, shimmer and twinkle it but it will not fully turn off

I have reset the system by unpluging it and removed the jumper thing and also updated the firmware

nothing seems to fix it any ideas?

Thanks Al

If you bought the complete controller , Send it in , It is under warrenty!!! It is the component that looks like a transistor. Could be an issue with the circitry before the triac.

Most times the problem described is a triac. If you have soldering skills you can contact LOR and they have in the past been very good about sending out parts. You can change the part yourself.

Chuck

• 1 month later...

How often does this happen? I have yet to see this, But was wondering if this is a new thing on newer units, or an older thing on the older ones? Or is this just a completely random thing?

Jeff Millard wrote:

Always good to have a few spares handy...

hence my post in a thread a looooong time ago...I wish LOR had an option to buy spare parts to have on hand BEFORE you have troubles... :D

Jeff Millard wrote:

PS ...and what's a Looonnnggg time for you? six months? LOL I think my Triac post was 5 years ago... :D

For me, YESTERDAY is a loooong time ago...

at least I think it was yesterday...I don't remember...:D

Jeff Millard wrote:

PS ...and what's a Looonnnggg time for you? six months? LOL I think my Triac post was 5 years ago... :D

Jeff Millard wrote:
LOL!

I found the thread... you might have to scroll around. ...and at that time I had no idea what "macro" mode was on a camera...:cool:

5 years is definitely a loooonnnnngggg time, but 3 1/2 years is only a loongg time ago. :D

Jeff Millard wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Or is this just a completely random thing? (I think this is the case...)
It can happen several ways. Surge, short, or just plain old [Foul Language Used] poor manufacturing over the pond. I've had all three happen at one time or another. If you can tackle an LOR solder kit, you can replace your own Triac. As Chuck Moore said, contact LOR... you can either ship it in for repair or they will send you a Triac for replacement.
I've shorted two channels together (Opposing phases... 220vac) and took out two Triacs. I've had lightning strikes that wasted electronics in the house... and I suspect the failed Triac was also a victim... and those Ghost channels where the Triac won't turn off all the way, when I replaced the Triac all was good... 6+ years with this hardware and Triacs just seem to be the weak link. The Triacs LOR uses are rated for more current than the traces on the board can handle so it's not a design issue.
Always good to have a few spares handy...
EDIT: I have a thread somewhere, where I changed one of them and took pics... I'll look and see if I can find it...

Were did you buy so many from? Are they sold like that?

Fully agree with the others if you have soldering skills have some spare triacs on hand. From building ssr's I still have a hundred or so handy they are the weakest link (goodbye) when a channel sticks you can pretty much bet its a failed triac that needs replaced takes longer to undo all the heat sinks and wires than it does to replace one. Snip the leads heat the pad pull the legs clean up with a little desoldering braid pop the new one in little solder and you're up and running again in less than an hour. Let's see shipping times alone beat that!! :D

• 4 months later...

The replacement part that Dan sent me was the BTA16-600BW. My CTB16PC had a failed Triac. Now my other CTB16PC has a failed Triac also.