Light-O-Rama Forums

this is for the newbies

james campbell

Arnoldc wrote:

David Rise wrote:
Ok finally! Tree #1 complete. 315 lights total

Think that took care of the bare spots! Wow looks good!

LOL....I'd say it did.

315 total of each color. 1260 total lights. YIKES!

How many lights does everyone else have on average?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rise

• caniac

• james campbell

• jimswinder

Looks like anywhere from 200 to 400 is about right.

Guess I'll be working on version 3 tonight.

David Rise wrote:

Looks like anywhere from 200 to 400 is about right.

Guess I'll be working on version 3 tonight.
took my tomato cages and cut them down to 22" high and then wrapped 200 lights on them.

100 and that's it. It's so dark where I live that using much more is overkill on the eyes

I did 3 sizes last year..for the 33 inch trees...100 lights per color, 3 colors...for some that were 42-48 inches tall, i doubled that...200 per color...and for a couple huge cages I found...large diameter, something like 54 inches tall, 3 strings per color.

I'm satisfied with the density using those counts...using the same approach for another dozen trees I'm building this year.

Mine have about 200 (100 of each colour)

David Rise wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
David Rise wrote:

LOL....I'd say it did.

I have 200 LEDs and they were bright.

Some spaces but outside they looked fine !

Dave

<====

David Rise wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
David Rise wrote:

LOL....I'd say it did.

I would suggest look at it at night, vs how many you plan on having, if it is over powering modify it, if not then leave it.
I have 6 outdoor Christmas trees that are 4' tall that I am calling my "mini" trees, I am putting 200 of each color on each tree.

completed version 5 last night. It has 2 strings of 4 colors, 560 total bulbs. I plan on doing a night test with both this weekend.
Also have another idea for the original PVC tree.

My biggest issue is that I do not have any room to store this stuff. So it all has to be broken down and packed away until I need it. Thus the PVC idea. The lights can be boxed up and the pipes stored back in the corner of the garage.

Guest Don Gillespie

David Rise wrote:

completed version 5 last night. It has 2 strings of 4 colors, 560 total bulbs. I plan on doing a night test with both this weekend.

My biggest issue is that I do not have any room to store this stuff. So it all has to be broken down and packed away until I need it. Thus the PVC idea. The lights can be boxed up and the pipes stored back in the corner of the garage.

Must build new shed to house all of your lights, tell your wife the shed is mandatory when you join LOR and then tell us what her response is. :P:P

David Rise wrote:

tomato cages can be stacked but you have to be careful.

Don Gillespie wrote:

David Rise wrote:

Must build new shed to house all of your lights, tell your wife the shed is mandatory when you join LOR and then tell us what her response is. :P:P

LOL.....That's a great idea. But since she's pregnant. I don't want to be within striking distance.....:D

David Rise wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
David Rise wrote:

LOL.....That's a great idea. But since she's pregnant. I don't want to be within striking distance.....:D
RUNNNNNNN!!! no seriously, maybe consider building some shelves along your free space along the garage walls, attic, or a storage unit.
I have a town house, with no attic access, luckily my mom lives close by and she has an nice empty attic! :dude:

caniac wrote:

David Rise wrote:

Version 4 with all the lights is pretty heavy. I wouldn't stack those on a bet. Version 5 might be possible.

I might have to just get a bigger storage unit. I need to get stuff outta the guest bedroom now anyway.

David Rise wrote:

caniac wrote:
David Rise wrote:

Version 4 with all the lights is pretty heavy. I wouldn't stack those on a bet. Version 5 might be possible.

I might have to just get a bigger storage unit. I need to get stuff outta the guest bedroom now anyway.
mine weren't that heavy but I used tons of wire ties to keep the spacing where I wanted them. BTW, thanks to whomever recommended the wire tie gun!! those things work great.

I am so far behind this year. Only my second year, so still fairly new. I only have one sequence done for my 48-channel display. Hope to modify some from 16-chennels last year to reuse this year. Still have 4 mini tress to make too. Also, have to upgrade electrical to 200amps this year. Last year the lights in the house flickered a little when the display was "going crazy". With 32 more channels this year and more lights, I figured time to upgrade. Also need to figure out a cheap alternative for restringing my megatree. Last year used cheap LEDs for a static display, but this year it in in the show and the LEDs I had last year, only half still work. So little to do and so much time. Strike that, reverse it.

Jeff Millard wrote:

That's a thing of true beauty! Good Lord there's another tear inmy eye! Shoot, that's twice in as many weeks.

Jeff

As long as the tears don't start running down your leg, we're OK.

ive spent this week fabing the mounts for my portable power panel when i finish painting it and get every thing mounted i ll post a few pictures i think there my be a few of you blinky flashers out there that my like it

t purser wrote:

ive spent this week fabing the mounts for my portable power panel when i finish painting it and get every thing mounted i ll post a few pictures i think there my be a few of you blinky flashers out there that my like it

I would like to see pics of the mounts that folks have come up with. That's still on my list of things to do.