Light-O-Rama Forums

this is for the newbies

james campbell

shfr26 wrote:

If I have to put myself in the same boat as Jim, I don't understand that reasoning.

If you HAVE TO?!?!?! LOL

Now the boats going to be rockin'!!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rise

• caniac

• james campbell

• jimswinder

jimswinder wrote:

So with that said...am I missing something to why you would want to have one color per controller?

You've got me stumped - I've never heard that particular advice before. Sounds pretty ridiculous - who ever told you something that stupid?

And please, please, please... keep to yourself whatever you and Pete might be doing together to get that boat rocking...

George Simmons wrote:

You've got me stumped - I've never heard that particular advice before. Sounds pretty ridiculous - who ever told you something that stupid?

**George...it wasn't advice...don't you READ the posts before you comment...or are you like me? LOL**

David Rise had said earlier :

"My plan is 16 areas and 4 controllers, 1 controller per color."

And please, please, please... keep to yourself whatever you and Pete might be doing together to get that boat rocking...

ROFLMAO!!! You sure you don't want to know? I think your wife may want you to know...**

Okay, I'm getting seasick!! Come on George, be a sport,join us. Just take some dramamine first. I just don't get why one color per controller ,or my thought, one color per channel. Get a Kill-a-Watt meter and make it really easy.

shfr26 wrote:

Get a Kill-a-Watt meter and make it really easy.

HUH???? :shock:

shfr26 wrote:

Okay, I'm getting seasick... Get a Kill-a-Watt meter and make it really easy.

If you and Jim are creating enough friction to actually produce electricity in that boat then I DEFINITELY don't want any further explanation.

jimswinder wrote:

George...it wasn't advice...don't you READ the posts before you comment...or are you like me?  LOL**

David Rise had said earlier :

"My plan is 16 areas and 4 controllers, 1 controller per color."

No, I didn't spot that. The way I read your post I thought someone had given you that advice. My apologies to Mr Rise.

George Simmons wrote:

If you and Jim are creating enough friction to actually produce electricity in that boat then I DEFINITELY don't want any further explanation.

LOL...You seldom fail to make me actually laugh out loud George...

One of your more comical responses...

Besides...I have an electric "prop"...need that "electricity"

(I gotta quit giving you such great straight lines!!!)

Don't most people power their electric "prop" with a couple of D size batteries?

George Simmons wrote:

Don't most people power their electric "prop" with a couple of D size batteries?

you would know better than I...

Attached files 245972=13395-trolling_motor_cruise.jpg

Besides going WAY off topic, it seems that some of you have forgotten that this is a NEWBIE topic. I am a newbie. First year attempting this. There is no method to my madness. My only thought is just to be ready for this Christmas. I post and read what others post to get feedback from everyone and learn. So how about keeping that in mind when replying.

My yard is small. Say 20' x 30' and then the roof. That is all. I will never have a large display. I simply do not have room to do it.

With that said, I had already given in to the fact that I was going to need lots of extension cords. I will take a closer look and see about changing the location of my controllers.

David Rise wrote:

I post and read what others post to get feedback from everyone and learn. So how about keeping that in mind when replying.

**That's why I asked about your "one controller per color"...even "newbies" have great ideas...we were all newbies at one time..I think I still am even going into my third year!!**

My yard is small. Say 20' x 30' and then the roof. That is all. I will never have a large display. I simply do not have room to do it.

**I don't even think my yard is THAT big...and 528 channels last year...so don't let the size of your yard limit your imagination.**

With that said, I had already given in to the fact that I was going to need lots of extension cords. I will take a closer look and see about changing the location of my controllers.

**No matter WHERE the controllers are placed, we always need LOTS of extension cords...but the better the placement, the less extension cords..hence, less cost.**

David Rise wrote:

Besides going WAY off topic, it seems that some of you have forgotten that this is a NEWBIE topic. I am a newbie. First year attempting this. There is no method to my madness. My only thought is just to be ready for this Christmas. I post and read what others post to get feedback from everyone and learn. So how about keeping that in mind when replying.

Well that depends on YOUR persepctive of a Newbie, to me, anyone (like myself) that has done 2 shows (Halloween and Christmas in 2010, 1st year) and working on their 2011 shows is still a "Newbie", matter of fact, I'd say most folks are "Newbies" until they've gotten at least 3 to 5 years of doing displays and sequencing under their belt.

Don't know how many others may agree with that, but that's MY perspective.

And this year I had to scale back, and down my display due to the space I have for it is basically 6 feet wide x 27 feet long (currently live in an apartment). And I've got to get 4 wire frames, 6 blowmolds, 2 trellises that hold my 7 channel bells, light stakes (or 6 Halloween Poles like North Poles if I build them - those are under consideration), Orange and Purple LED light strings around the perimeter on the stakes or connected to the HP's(if they get built). 6 ghosts staked to wooden poles that go into the cemetery and about 20+ tombstones, 4 lit with LED flasher circuits(AC adapter) and 5 Jack O' Lanterns that will sit on the very large desk that will also be inside the display area that holds 3 controllers for the outside decor.

So this is going to be one heck of a *NEW* challenge getting a lot of my goodies in that area, especially since it is also going to be shared with about 40 or so Flowers, 6 Azalea Bushes and 6 Rose Bushes that also make up part of the display area.

So this year my 2011 display is going to be a bit of a challenge, I may also be using 2 controllers INSIDE for some interior decor as well, haven't made any definite commitment to that aspect as yet.

David Rise wrote:

Although you didn't exactly ask, since I've already insulted you - however inadvertantly - the least I can do is give you an opinion.

The physical size of your display doesn't necessarily relate to how "large" it is. Your yard may be small, but the impression your display makes on someone's mind doesn't have to be limited by that. Strive for quality and uniqueness.

What you can't do in size, do with eye candy - things like CCR spirals and other shapes, or a color-changing CCB bush, or small pinwheels, or a house face, or singing lips, or things like that.

Listen to George Simmons! He *DOES* give good advice, he just sometimes gets your goat.

But he really is a nice guy and can teach you a lot!:D

Although I'm sure someone here is gonna disagree with that last statement!;)

Orville wrote:

Listen to George Simmons! He *DOES* give good advice, he just sometimes gets your goat.

But he really is a nice guy and can teach you a lot!:D

Although I'm sure someone here is gonna disagree with that last statement!;)

George step away from the goat!

jimswinder wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Get a Kill-a-Watt meter and make it really easy.

HUH???? :shock:

I had just read another thread about not having two colors on at the same time, a Holdman statement about power draw. I was trying to figure out if that is what Mr. Rice was referencing I consider myself a newbie, this will be my third year. You will find that the thread goes off topic quite often, but 99% of the time your questions will be answered. Hang in there and keep asking what you want , most people are here to help if they can. Just have fun doing your display and don't make it seem like work.;)

Guest Don Gillespie

Anyways the weather in Scotland is not very nice, getting back on topic, I have most of my sequences complete there are two new ones I am currently working on which will give me a total of 44 sequences this year alone, I have been away from the forum for a while so it is nice to see all of you are still around, keep plugging ahead and things will come together for you, heading back to Canada in the morning will answer my mail when I get back George,

Back on topic, Working on redrawing my vis., started 3 new songs, none done yet. Have to redo songs from last year and still add several more new ones, I'm so far behind!