Light-O-Rama Forums

this is for the newbies

james campbell

Ok newbies myself included, what do you have finished,what more needs to be done? I have my 6 mini trees made, 2 arches, I have 15 or so seqeunces finished.Need to finish my mega tree( will finish it when putting display up ) I don't have any new extension cords made,plan on doing 500 feet. I know most of you will say thats not enough. need to make my sign for the fm station for the show. I need to purchase 1500 more lights 12 more strobes. I think i still have a lot of work yet:shock: sure I'm forgetting somthing:) yep just remembered, I need dedicated power in my garage for the 2 controllers.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rise

• caniac

• james campbell

• jimswinder

Caleb Linburg wrote:

About 2 sequences. Lol

thats all you need to finish

I have all my lights, 5 1/2 sequences done out of 13 so far, and 15 out of 48 extension cords. what I got left is build my wreath, make the sign, put lights on my mini trees and the rest of the sequences.

4 sequences done7 mini tree frames done led wall floods built 4 controllers assembled plans for a moveable and hopefuly theft resistant mega tree base finished seems like i haven t done enuff i have set up the fm transmitter and outside ant. show computer is ready have all my cat 5 cables i guess i haven t done to bad for a visually impaired fellow it took me a long time to figure out how to use holiday light designer it has its bugs but being new at this blinky light stuff i felt i needed all the help i could get what do yall think check this out> :D:P:Phttp://vimeo.com/23095073

Geeez, I'm in my second year and you guys are almost making me look bad. :D I started off the year with plans to go from 48 to 96 channels and sequenced a few songs. But extra finances for the year are still unclear, so I have to scale back to 80 channels, so I have to modify what I've already done. I did save what I had already done just in case I do go to 96 this year. I have my controllers inside and run circuits outside, I replaced one of my conduits with a bigger one and added more circuits. So now my permanent infrastructure is done, additional controllers will be outside closer to display elements.
Also have installed my RGBW led light tubes for year round use.
I'm also adding an EDM transmitter this year. We had a cold windy December last year for people to be standing outside watching the show for too long.

t purser wrote:

4 sequences done7 mini tree frames done led wall floods built 4 controllers assembled plans for a moveable and hopefuly theft resistant mega tree base finished seems like i haven t done enuff i have set up the fm transmitter and outside ant. show computer is ready have all my cat 5 cables i guess i haven t done to bad for a visually impaired fellow it took me a long time to figure out how to use holiday light designer it has its bugs but being new at this blinky light stuff i felt i needed all the help i could get what do yall think check this out> :D:P:Phttp://vimeo.com/23095073

I think it looks great,don't change a thing.

So far...

First, got everything from 2010 put away.
Updated 8 songs and 5 bumpers from 32 to 96 channels.
Did a big snowflake test in the garage with 4000 LEDs.
Sequenced 3 new songs another almost half way done.
Overhauled my website http://ListenToOurLights.com.
Have 11,000 new LEDs for next year.

Still need to...

Test hot gluing hooks to stucco.
Fix one of my 6' trees that shorted out last year.
Sequence 4-5 more songs.
Get a Halloween show going.

...AND MOST IMPORATANT...

Win the Light-O-Rama 2010 32 channel category so I have an extra controller for my first mega tree.

Ok, I'm probably as new as they get.. My wife and I started in Feb with one controller and the "advanced" software. As of 11:00 last night... we have almost 7 of 12 songs sequenced, 4 of 7 controllers purchased, two wire frames built (holdman star 3'x5' and bells with a bow 4'x4'), still need to make a 4'x4' Santa face and a two color, 4' Merry Christmas sign, mega tree star... still need more LED's, need more extension cords and need a transmitter. I also need to move some power around.
Now thats the easy stuff... LOL We have a rod iron fence we want to install to protect things. Security cameras to install. Mega tree footer. And to top it all off... replace our roof because of hail damage, shingles, plywood, the whole deal... and we are already nearing 100 degrees!!
Gotta go... to much to do!!! :-)
and Jeff Millard, your signature is not helping AT ALL!!!
"Crunch time! We're in the second quarter now!" :-) :-)

John Slade wrote:

Ok, I'm probably as new as they get.. My wife and I started in Feb with one controller and the "advanced" software. As of 11:00 last night... we have almost 7 of 12 songs sequenced, 4 of 7 controllers purchased, two wire frames built (holdman star 3'x5' and bells with a bow 4'x4'), still need to make a 4'x4' Santa face and a two color, 4' Merry Christmas sign, mega tree star... still need more LED's, need more extension cords and need a transmitter. I also need to move some power around.
Now thats the easy stuff... LOL We have a rod iron fence we want to install to protect things. Security cameras to install. Mega tree footer. And to top it all off... replace our roof because of hail damage, shingles, plywood, the whole deal... and we are already nearing 100 degrees!!
Gotta go... to much to do!!! :-)
and Jeff Millard, your signature is not helping AT ALL!!!
"Crunch time! We're in the second quarter now!" :-) :-)

sounds like you have it all under control,good luck with the roof

Thanks James, but out of control is more like it :-)
LOTS of overtime helps and every extra minute goes toward Christmas!!! :-D

Have made 10 mini-tree's, purchased controller #3, setting aside funds for controller's 4 and 5, starting on 2ft north pole(s), frames for "singing pumpkins" for halloween, purchased 2 pro grade fog machines (20,000cfm), purchased assorted cords, lights (LED), and most important a backup external drive and software to backup existing sequences and work to be done. Need to do 4 new sequences for Christmas and two for halloween.

Since this may be my first year to have a show and trying to keep everything small and simple I only need to finish up my last song for about a 15 minute show. I need to order 12 strings of lights for my mini trees, pvc pipe and a metal fence post for my short mega tree, lor license, mp3 director, fm transmitter, need all my extention cords, finish my star for the tree. All my funds for this have dried up for the time being because of other things going on so hopefully things will get a little better or there will be no show this year and will have to try to have a show next year.

First, JSTORMS I would like to say is that i went to your show last yr. Very nice! I saw your show and Deck The Lawn in Round Rock. I told myself i have to do this. I bought a controller sequenced 4 songs. I set my lights up in my back yard(Not all Lights) and watch the show. LOL My wife said i was gay. I am glad i did that becouse I found allot of mistakes. This will be my first Yr with LOR. I think we should start our own chapter in Round Rock.:] I can't wait to see your show next yr. GREAT JOB

spindler88 wrote:

First, JSTORMS I would like to say is that i went to your show last yr. Very nice! I saw your show and Deck The Lawn in Round Rock. I told myself i have to do this. I bought a controller sequenced 4 songs. I set my lights up in my back yard(Not all Lights) and watch the show. LOL My wife said i was gay. I am glad i did that because I found allot of mistakes. This will be my first Yr with LOR. I think we should start our own chapter in Round Rock.:] I can't wait to see your show next yr. GREAT JOB
women don't understand that their is a sense of danger here, we are playing with electricity!!

This will be my third year...but once again, I feel like a newbie...considering I am changing my display for the THIRD time and adding elements I still don't understand!!! (RGB - hopefully the new CCB's).

And EVERY year I try to start early...

And EVERY year I start later and later...

Sometimes life just gets in the way of what is really important...

CHRISTMAS!!!!

jimswinder wrote:

This will be my third year...but once again, I feel like a newbie...considering I am changing my display for the THIRD time and adding elements I still don't understand!!! (RGB - hopefully the new CCB's).

CHRISTMAS!!!!

i agree, was in Lowe's yesterday and was in line with my two foot PVC (4" diam), a toilet flange, and a glass globe. the store manager looked at me as if I had lost it. told him i was working on my Christmas display which confirmed it. when i put the three pieces together he just smiled.

jimswinder wrote:

CHRISTMAS!!!!

Nothing like a good challege!

caniac wrote:

and a glass globe.

did not want to go with the plastic ones?

Might be safer...