Light-O-Rama Forums

Pirates of the Carribbean Halloween

BlakeGravitt

With the upcoming "On Strager Tides" it would seem that Pirates are back in popularity. The movie has gotten some good reviews so far. I am a sucker for these movies and this is what my Halloween has been based on for the last three years.

Just wondering if anyone had some display/prop ideas they were kicking around. Any sequences done to POTC soundtracks?

Last year I had the perpetual drinking pirate, made from a fountain pump and rum bottle sitting in a wooden barrel, a mechanical moving ships wheel with Cap'n Skully attached, pirates swinging down from the roof on ropes, a cannon "fired" with a red floodlight among many other things.

The cannon was built into a pirate ship. It was a PVC cannon that "fired" with a red flood synchronized with cannon fire on the song, on the other side of the yard was a wooden half-barrel planter filled with water and red submersible LEDs. I also had a pnuematic solenoid fired from LOR to splash the water towards the sky as if a cannon ball was just dropped into the water. It made for a really cool effect to have LOR timing the cannon, pause, and then the water splash with the LEDs illuminating the water. I took a video but the quality was very poor, can barely make anything out. The dog loved the splashing water though!

Any ideas or thoughts on how to make a "Stranger Tides" Halloween would be appreciated and any other Pirate props. Movie comes out May 20th, so that should help.

Cheers,

Blake

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TJ Hvasta

• BlakeGravitt

• metallus2000

• caniac

BlakeGravitt wrote:

With the upcoming "On Strager Tides" it would seem that Pirates are back in popularity. The movie has gotten some good reviews so far. I am a sucker for these movies and this is what my Halloween has been based on for the last three years.

Just wondering if anyone had some display/prop ideas they were kicking around. Any sequences done to POTC soundtracks?

Last year I had the perpetual drinking pirate, made from a fountain pump and rum bottle sitting in a wooden barrel, a mechanical moving ships wheel with Cap'n Skully attached, pirates swinging down from the roof on ropes, a cannon "fired" with a red floodlight among many other things.

The cannon was built into a pirate ship. It was a PVC cannon that "fired" with a red flood synchronized with cannon fire on the song, on the other side of the yard was a wooden half-barrel planter filled with water and red submersible LEDs. I also had a pnuematic solenoid fired from LOR to splash the water towards the sky as if a cannon ball was just dropped into the water. It made for a really cool effect to have LOR timing the cannon, pause, and then the water splash with the LEDs illuminating the water. I took a video but the quality was very poor, can barely make anything out. The dog loved the splashing water though!

Any ideas or thoughts on how to make a "Stranger Tides" Halloween would be appreciated and any other Pirate props. Movie comes out May 20th, so that should help.

Cheers,

Blake
could try connecting a fog machine to the cannon and just give a short burst after your "fire" the cannon. there are a few here that have taken your basic low end fog machine and reworked the remote so you can fire it from a LOR controller. WowLights has a "talking head" if your pockets are deep enough.

If you really want to scare someone you could have Waffle House waitresses dress up as mermaids!! lol

I liked your mermaid idea....The fog machine is a nice touch also.

I have seen the talking head from WOW, might have to save up a bit for that one. Nice to see a fellow NC user here.

Thanks

Blake

BlakeGravitt wrote:

I have seen the talking head from WOW, might have to save up a bit for that one. Nice to see a fellow NC user here.

Thanks

Blake

Somewhere on youtube I remember seeing people using styrofoam wig holders (stands) instead of the expensive bust. I tried looking for it but I can't seem to find that particular video. I'll keep looking.

[glow=red]I found one :[/glow]

MikeH

MikeH wrote:

BlakeGravitt wrote:

Thanks

Blake

Somewhere on youtube I remember seeing people using styrofoam wig holders (stands) instead of the expensive bust. I tried looking for it but I can't seem to find that particular video. I'll keep looking.

I found one :

MikeH

the mouth and eyes on the WoWlights bust actually move or are controllable with LOR.

caniac wrote:

MikeH wrote:
BlakeGravitt wrote:

Thanks

Blake

I found one :

MikeH

the mouth and eyes on the WoWlights bust actually move or are controllable with LOR.

It's a blank bust, it's all projected onto the bust. Here's the bust on WOWLights: http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=30&Product=279

MikeH

I had seen the WOW projector/bust in the past, but the Ultra Projector is a far cheaper option, and I just happen to have several of the styrofoam heads already.

Thanks Mike

BlakeGravitt wrote:

Thanks

Blake
if you need a low end fog machine let me know. bought two high end ones for my halloween display and you can have the low end one. you are just down the road from me.

BlakeGravitt wrote:

I had seen the WOW projector/bust in the past, but the Ultra Projector is a far cheaper option, and I just happen to have several of the styrofoam heads already.

Thanks Mike

I was thinking about ordering an ultra projector. Do you have one and how well does it work?

MikeH

I do not have one Mike. Your post was the first time I have seen the Ultra Projector. I had seen the WOW projector in the past but was a terribly expensive undertaking.

I was definitely thinking of order an ultra projector for this year. Make you a deal.....I'll let you know how it works if I get it first, and you let me know how it works if you get it first.

Cheers

Blake

BlakeGravitt wrote:

I do not have one Mike. Your post was the first time I have seen the Ultra Projector. I had seen the WOW projector in the past but was a terribly expensive undertaking.

I was definitely thinking of order an ultra projector for this year. Make you a deal.....I'll let you know how it works if I get it first, and you let me know how it works if you get it first.

Cheers

Blake

I'll go along with that. Anyone else here heard anything about this projector? http://www.ultraprojector.com/index.htm

I used my home projector last season shining through a window towards a screen on the porch, but I have to set it up in the bathroom cause it's the only window I have that faces directly towards the front of the house. That didn't work so well when we had guests over.

Now with the Ultra projector, I can put that outside almost anywhere, since it's weather proof.

MikeH

• 2 months later...

Any of you guys know where I can find the audio of a little girl singing "yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me". I cant remember exactly what pirates of the carribbean movie it's from but it sounds all creepy and I've been trying to find it forever. The movie has just a short clip and I'm trying to find a longer version... If any one has the torrent file link or YouTube link that would be awesome!

evandewindt wrote:

Any of you guys know where I can find the audio of a little girl singing "yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me". I cant remember exactly what pirates of the carribbean movie it's from but it sounds all creepy and I've been trying to find it forever. The movie has just a short clip and I'm trying to find a longer version... If any one has the torrent file link or YouTube link that would be awesome!
I found it on iTunes

caniac wrote:

evandewindt wrote:
I found it on iTunes

dang i still am having trouble finding it... what did you type into iTunes? or what is the song name you searched? i went through all the pirates soundtracks and still didnt find it....

evandewindt wrote:

caniac wrote:
evandewindt wrote:
I found it on iTunes

dang i still am having trouble finding it... what did you type into iTunes? or what is the song name you searched? i went through all the pirates soundtracks and still didnt find it....
i will check when i get to the office and give you the title and artist

what I am thinking about is called "Hoist the Colours" by Hans Zimmer. It is the only "creepy" one I remember. The next tune I have is "Drink Up Me Hearties Yo Ho' also by Zimmer but sounds like the original intro. Lastly is "The Black Pearl" by Klaus Baldet. Have them as MP3's as well as iTunes format.

I've just completed my 4th POTC sequence for my Christmas show. Of couse this one is Off the new track from On Stranger Tides and is the track from the closing credits. Lots of variety and am looking forward to seeing it in lights....For one of my other ones check out our page on Facebook These Lights Ruel. There is a Video there of my favorite, with a few others from last years show.

Lenny