Light-O-Rama Forums

Are your lights/LOR on now?

Guest guest

The major local suburb in the area will be turning on their Christmas lights early... for one day only.

http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/our-citizens/information/calendar/event%20details%2006/holiday_lights.htm

Looks like a tie-in with area merchants (who are all to eager to turn on their lights early). The mall just down the street from me already appears to have their Christmas full-on.

It seems that early Christmas is more of a commercial "I want to get you in the mood to sell you something" kind of thing.

llbarnes wrote:

Even though it's barely mid November?

OK its not LOR but if you are wondering who that one blooming idiot is that voted yes was.... hehehe.

Actually my favorite time to decorate is at night after work... cant see what i am doing or what it looks like or even fix bad/loose/lost bulbs without running the lights, so my junk is out there and people are seeing sneak peaks regularly of what is coming. I've always done that... display is only 35% up at moment but I am lighting without shame, what I got so far.

Lets say if you want a big crowd, lots of attention when you are ready... running early is like putting a big billboard up letting everyone in neighborhood know you are going to run your show again and it gets the word of mouth advertising network started early.

I noticed my best competition in the neighborhood... although some are static.. have taken my example and they are heavily decorating already too, much earlier then typical for them.

I do not turn the lights on until Thanksgiving for viewing. I also put my lights up at night to see how things look. If I am working on the roof, that section is the only thing light. I still have alot of cars drive by slow and ask. But no sneak peaks before the 23rd. I do my finally tests late at night, like around 11-12 pm.

llbarnes wrote:

using the Terminal Services client of the Axim, I can remotely control the main computer that does have the LOR installed.

I wasn't aware that would work with the Axim. I will investigte. Thanks for the heads up. The only PC in the house with XP Pro is the house machine. I would have to run a piece of Cat5 to it so I could hook up to the back-up RS 485 adapter. Cake.

Thanks again,

jeff

jeffmill wrote:

llbarnes wrote:
using the Terminal Services client of the Axim, I can remotely control the main computer that does have the LOR installed.

I wasn't aware that would work with the Axim. I will investigte. Thanks for the heads up. The only PC in the house with XP Pro is the house machine. I would have to run a piece of Cat5 to it so I could hook up to the back-up RS 485 adapter. Cake.

Thanks again,

jeff

My setup is that LOR is running off of a toshiba laptop with lots of CPU and Memory. It's near the front of the house with the cat5 to the lor boxes. The toshiba is on the wireless lan. I have the AXIM or my other laptop to take out front and play with the lights wirelessly. Music comes through the radio.

All right, I was able to get a remote assistance session active from the laptop (XP Home) to control the desktop (XP Pro) and can operate LOR remotely.:] But I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it on the Axim. :D That would be nice, but I guess I'm not getting it. Having the laptop active was really cool! Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe I didn't think of this. I'm really considering XP Pro for the show computer now. The nice thing about this is my wireless is really powerful. I can use my laptop up to about a block away.:laughing:

jeff

On the Axim, it's under programs then Terminal Services Client. Again, you can not connect to an XP home pc. Only XP pro or Server that has terminal services installed.

Using the laptop would probably be more effective with the bigger screen anyway

Good Luck

Luke

So far i have my mega tree up 24 strands of c-9s with a star at the top. i also have 12 of 16 mini trees up and the icicle lights at the top of the house. i have tested the mega tree many times and it is awesome!! on a lighter note this is the earliest i have ever put up my lights and havent had much time to do so as my son was born 7 weeks early on october 20. he is still in the NICU at wont come home till he eats on his own. could be another 5 weeks :(. but hey if any one has a 32 channel sequence they could share it would be great. especially barbra striesands jingle bells. i spend most my time at the hospital and wont have much time at all to get a show put toghther.

I've been working on getting things ready for about 3 weekends now. I have everything up and 2 songs sequenced and ready to go. I have turned it on a couple times for the neighbors, to get some more ideas, but that's the extent of it. Now that I have everything, I can take a look after sequencing a song. While the animator view is great, there's nothing like seeing it in real life.

Oh, and to add to all of the remote desktop talk, there is another option for you wireless laptop users. Even though RD is only available on XP pro, NetMeeting is available on everything, and works great. I use my laptop with a netmeeting session so that I can sit in my truck with the radio on out in the street and watch.

Day after Thanksgiving for me also.... Counting the days.