Light-O-Rama Forums

North Pole(s) sorta

caniac

caniac wrote:

Orville wrote:
Depending on whether or not you get any high winds that may work.
8< SNIP >8

we really don't have anything that resembles high wind (other than after effects of one of my trips to a Mexican restaurant). Last season there was only one day/night where we had high wind warnings and we took the display down that day (unplugged inflatables, took down mega tree, etc.).

NOW that's FUNNY! ROFLMAO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• Cray Augsburg

• Arnoldc

• TJ Hvasta

painted my prototype this evening and it really looks nice. now to make 9 more, pics to be posted tomorrow.

Caniac, looks great! I'm thinking of doing something similar for my fm station sign. This thread gave me tons of ideas! When I get back from vacation, a lowes trip is gonna be one of my stops

Arnoldc wrote:

Caniac, looks great! I'm thinking of doing something similar for my fm station sign. This thread gave me tons of ideas! When I get back from vacation, a lowes trip is gonna be one of my stops
gotta love PVC but if you want to spend an extra buck or two they have it pre-cut. was cringing at the idea of cutting 4" PVC "evenly" but they had 2' sections already done. for the plastic globes i had to go to HD.

caniac wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
gotta love PVC but if  you want to spend an extra buck or two they have it pre-cut.  was cringing at the idea of cutting 4" PVC "evenly" but they had 2' sections already done.  for the plastic globes i had to go to HD.

I have a chop saw, easy enough to take care of that. The problem is I dunno what the beat height would be. I've been kicking around 4' or 5'.

Arnoldc wrote:

caniac wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:
gotta love PVC but if you want to spend an extra buck or two they have it pre-cut. was cringing at the idea of cutting 4" PVC "evenly" but they had 2' sections already done. for the plastic globes i had to go to HD.

I have a chop saw, easy enough to take care of that. The problem is I dunno what the beat height would be. I've been kicking around 4' or 5'.
that would depend on how you are gonna use it. for the FM station sign i would think a minimum of 3ft, guess it depends on how much info will be on the sign and how big.

caniac wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
caniac wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:

that would depend on how you are gonna use it.  for the FM station sign i would think a minimum of 3ft, guess it depends on how much info will be on the sign and how big.

Just for the channel info. I plan on 4" lettering. I will prolly end up splitting the difference an go with 4'6"

Or do what i would do and use the pre-cut 5' sections!

Arnoldc wrote:

caniac wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:
caniac wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:

that would depend on how you are gonna use it. for the FM station sign i would think a minimum of 3ft, guess it depends on how much info will be on the sign and how big.

Just for the channel info. I plan on 4" lettering. I will prolly end up splitting the difference an go with 4'6"

Now that looks really nice Caniac! I'll take 10 please. j/k

But now I'm seriously thinking of building some ORANGE and BLACK ones for Halloween and using my Flickering Candle sequences for the globes using Orange C7 bulbs. I think that would look awesome and then have chains (the plastic ones liie Michaels and Halloween stores sell) between them, roping off the display area.

I'm more into doing Halloween than CHristmas, but do both. So may build some for Christmas as well. Maybe do about 4, possibly 6 each that I can store at my storage.

Now when I get some FUND$, I'll be taking a trip to Lowes, which in my case is within walking distance of my apartment, but will take the SUV to get everything I need.

Looks like I've got to find that site again where I bought all my C7 sockets from before, I'm going to have to buy a lot more now, I've got a lot of ideas rolling around me liddle brain it's about to pop!:shock: ROFL

And it's all your fault Caniac for posting that photo. :cool::P

Orville, got a few ideas to for the Halloween part. Was thinking of painting the poll black, making a "gothic" light fixture, then put purple lights in. And to finish it off use your light flickering technique.

Arnoldc wrote:

Orville, got a few ideas to for the Halloween part. Was thinking of painting the poll black, making a "gothic" light fixture, then put purple lights in. And to finish it off use your light flickering technique.

I was debating on alternating orange and purple lights, all orange or all purple. Might actually make each pole 2 channel and have 1 each inside, then I could also do a slow flickering fade from Orange to Purple or Purple to Orange.

caniac wrote:

here you go:

All I got to say is . . . NICE!

It really looks great. And I like how the stripes around the pole are not the same width.

BTW, why do you have commercial door handles and openers in your house? ;)

Cray Augsburg wrote:

caniac wrote:
here you go:

It really looks great. And I like how the stripes around the pole are not the same width.

BTW, why do you have commercial door handles and openers in your house? ;)
it's my business office, have one whole office dedicated to LOR and my props. when i need some chill time or to time out, i play with my LOR stuff.

caniac wrote:

Cray Augsburg wrote:
caniac wrote:
here you go:

BTW, why do you have commercial door handles and openers in your house? :D
it's my business office, have one whole office dedicated to LOR and my props. when i need some chill time or to time out, i play with my LOR stuff.

Some people just have it soooooo lucky!;)

caniac wrote:

Awesome! Looks really nice. A whole office just for LOR and stuff. Heck, my stuff is just strewn . . .

- strewn about the basement

- strewn about the den

- strewn about the family room

- strewn about the yard

- strewn about the shed

- and strewn about the storage unit.

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
Cray Augsburg wrote:
caniac wrote:
here you go:

BTW, why do you have commercial door handles and openers in your house? :D

Some people just have it soooooo lucky!:P

don't know if i call it that, if it was at the house some items would disappear when my better half is on one of her cleaning binges. she keeps an immaculate house but when we have guest she goes into "HGTV" mode!! things disappear never to be heard from again. Only now found the remote to the tv that disappeared during one such episode a year and half ago (though it did give me an excuse to buy one of those nice Logitech ones).

Cray Augsburg wrote:

caniac wrote:

Awesome! Looks really nice. A whole office just for LOR and stuff. Heck, my stuff is just strewn . . .

- strewn about the basement

- strewn about the den

- strewn about the family room

- strewn about the yard

- strewn about the shed

- and strewn about the storage unit.

tried that approach, see above post!! btw, went looking for seat cushion for our outside furniture and found where she stashed my miter saw (in an outside bin where we keep our cushions).

caniac wrote: it's my business office, have one whole office dedicated to LOR and my props. when i need some chill time or to time out, i play with my LOR stuff.

Orville wrote: Some people just have it soooooo lucky!:P
caniac wrote: don't know if i call it that, if it was at the house some items would disappear when my better half is on one of her cleaning binges. she keeps an immaculate house but when we have guest she goes into "HGTV" mode!! things disappear never to be heard from again. Only now found the remote to the tv that disappeared during one such episode a year and half ago (though it did give me an excuse to buy one of those nice Logitech ones).

If my wife did ANYTHING like that I can guarantee that WOULD be grounds for getting a DIVORCE!!!

My late mother was immaculate, very much like that, but things kept in the garage or attic were my late fathers domain, she would come out and they'd clean it out "together" and get rid of some things, but when it came to Halloween or Christmas decorations, those type things never got tossed, neither did tools or any kind.

My wife would rather I didn't have my "Halloween" decorations I use to test sequences with in our apartment living room, but it's where the computers are and it's the only area I have to use, so she puts up with it. Because she knows it's my hobby and it's what I do when not working on other things.

Of course, working on other things now, don't get to do that much being in an apartment and is why I miss the house we had been living in. Just no room or place to really build or construct new items for my display, unless I can get items I need and only do a limited amount of work to them to complete the item.

So, in comparison to what and where I have to construct new items for my display, you are very lucky to have a place to do that. Especially one where you can go and not be disturbed, or interupted by anyone!