Light-O-Rama Forums

Too much data for a single LOR network??

BrownOut

Orville wrote

Thanks Ron! Now I know what a dongle is!

Wow, I've learned several new things from the forums today!

Most of my fire alarm programs require a "dongle" To make them propritory. It stops un-certified people from messing up things.

Steven wrote:

The LOR term is "Network", which is analogous to a DMX "Universe".

If you have two USB485B, then each one should be on a separate network. (It would be a bad idea to put both on the same network!)

From the LOR side, an iDMX is a controller that can control up to 512 channels.

On the DMX side, each iDMX controls a DMX universe.

You could have two iDMX on one LOR network, with the ability to control 2 DMX universes, each with 512 channels, but if had this many DMX channels, it would probably be too much data for a single LOR network.

Thanks! I got it. Sounds like the max channels per “Network” is about 1000 channels.

So lets say I have (6) CCR’s, (2) CTB-16D, (5) CTB-16PC and (1) iDMX. How many “Networks” would I need?

One for just the CCR’s. Another for the CTB-16D and CTB16PC and a Third for the iDMX? Or could I put the iDMX and the CTB-16D and CTB16PC together in the same “Network”. The CCR’s would be 900 channels and the rest together would be 624 channels….not that I’m going to use all the DMX channels.

And which “dongle” would be my best option…the USB485B or go with the Isolated?

Cracker
This RGB stuff gets more complicated, The more we learn !!! Universe's, Networks, Dongles !!!! AARRGGHHH !!!
I just want to blink the lights !!!:P

Cracker wrote:

And which “dongle” would be my best option…the USB485B or go with the Isolated?

The isolated 485 will protect your computer in the event that an AC controller gets flooded and conducts electricity from 120V to the network cable. There may be other advantages, but someone else will have to get specific.

Steven wrote

The isolated 485 will protect your computer in the event that an AC controller gets flooded and conducts electricity from 120V to the network cable. There may be other advantages, but someone else will have to get specific.

Thanks for the info, Guess I'm going with a couple more "network/universe's" The CCR's are data hogs !!!

Dan and I have Pm'ed back and forth on one of last years issues on lagging lights in some of my sequences.

Dan responded back for me to check one of my S2 preference settings.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Network Preferences> and un-check "Use compatibility Mode for old MC-P Channel Controllers".

Guess what, mine was checked all these years and did not know it.

Now got to wait for this season display to see if this makes a difference.

:P