Light-O-Rama Forums

Too much data for a single LOR network??

BrownOut

In my sequence I have 3 CCRs,
4 CTB16PCs,
and mapped channels for 300 CCBs(mapped as 6 CCRs for now)
and two CCFs.

I can't do some of the effects I want with macros so I mapped each bulb or pixel out individually for some parts of the song. When I play the song back, there is almost a full second delay on some of the light actions. I have my LOR network speed at normal(middle setting) and made sure there is not interference on the data cable.

[i have three CCRs and the 4 CTB16PCs connected]

Should I be planning two or more networks for this?
My computer is a 3GHz Core 2 Duo with 6GB RAM and Win7 pro.

-Logan

From my experience last year using 176 channels and 4 CCR's on one network, I had delay problems also in some songs. Especially during high traffic sections in the sequence. The preloads could not keep up with the timing.

I would recommend using 3 networks on a computer only and not use any of the director cards.

Buffering data even on a computer will sometimes give you delays and does not have anything to do with your CPU speed or amount of memory, it has to do with how much data information you are trying to push over the RS-485 networks. Go the hightest speed you can on each network (115K or higher).

Thanks. I know RS-485 is not high speed data and figured I needed multiple networks. Would your best guess be to use no more than 4 cosmic color devices(50 RGB pixels) per network if individually sequencing pixels/bulbs?

-logan

BrownOut wrote:

Thanks. I know RS-485 is not high speed data and figured I needed multiple networks. Would your best guess be to use no more than 4 cosmic color devices(50 RGB pixels) per network if individually sequencing pixels/bulbs?

-logan

You would be safe to 6 CCR's per network, that is what I was told but for your first setup I recommend 4 CCR's.

I am sequencing 5 CCR's 5-16 channel LOR1602W and 2 CCF's and I am pushing the envelope also. I also am using no micro's and sequencing pixal by pixal. Guess I need to "UP" my speed also. When I save it takes along time and I now have to save every frame in view when copy and pasting or i get a cleint is disconnected with target error.

It all depends on the refesh rates that you want to use and also if you are going sequence with just macros.

A sequence where you want a refesh rate of 50ms and you want to program the CCR or CCB manually without macros, i would keep the number down to 4 CCRs/CCBs per universe/network

If your just going to use macros you could get a lot more on a network as the channels used is greatly reduced. Again if your refesh rate is increased to 200ms you may get away with upto 8 CCRs/CCBs per network.

it takes a bit of playing around, but the general rule is to not use more than 4 CCRs/CCBs per universe if you want to sequence without limitations.

Ron Amedee wrote:

When I save it takes along time...

This might be due to your PC more than anything else. Last summer I upgraded to a new, fairly low-end PC and the time it takes to save a LOR file dropped to a small fraction of what it was. Ditto with how long it takes to preload each sequence in the show player.

I think it takes fewer lines of code to launch the shuttle than it does to power a multi-CC* display.

I guess I'll look into a Gamer...Quad core I7 with 6 GB Ram...Or maybe TYAN S8812WGM3NR Quad socket G34 AMD SR5690 Quad AMD 8-Core/12Core Opteron 6100 Series...Hummm

Right now I have the USB-RJ45 serial adapter.

Should I purchase one more of the same adapter? Or do most of you get the USB485-ISO? I see they had the following info listed about it on the LOR site.

[The USB485-ISO completely isolates the PC's USB connection from the RS-485 network. This can be important when you have multiple networks and each network is large.]

Thanks for all the help everyone! -logan

Ron,

There is also a bug in one or more of the recent releases that can result in extra, phantom channels in the config file. I remember hearing that a future release is supposed to clean these up. You might contact Bob, and see if he will check your files, and possibly clean them up if need be.

BrownOut wrote:

Right now I have the USB-RJ45 serial adapter.

Should I purchase one more of the same adapter? Or do most of you get the USB485-ISO? I see they had the following info listed about it on the LOR site.

[The USB485-ISO completely isolates the PC's USB connection from the RS-485 network. This can be important when you have multiple networks and each network is large.]

Thanks for all the help everyone! -logan

If you want status lights, including power, send, and recieve, you need the iso adapter. I generally use the USB-485B for everything at the house, and the USB-485 as a portable test adapter. I think for general show use, I prefer having the full size USB B connector, as less likely to get unplugged, and more durable.

-klb- wrote:

Ron,

There is also a bug in one or more of the recent releases that can result in extra, phantom channels in the config file. I remember hearing that a future release is supposed to clean these up. You might contact Bob, and see if he will check your files, and possibly clean them up if need be.

Interesting. Don't think I've ever encountered this problem of "Phantom Channels". (or if I have, I don't know about it!)

So is there any way to know where, or how, to find these "phantom" channels that may hide in a sequence somewhere, WITHOUT sending them to LOR to be checked and removed?

And is there any specific sign to watch for to possibly know if this has occurred?

I was actually thinking about this so seems like the perfect chance to ask a few questions.

First, I’m going to ask a dumb question that I may be answering myself...but going to ask anyways. The whole universe/dongle thing. Is the "dongle" the adapter or convertor (ex USB485B). And the universe is each "dongle" or adapter/ convertor? So if I have two USB485B, then I would have two separate universes?

This year I was planning or should I say hoping to covert most to RGB. I already have 6 CCR's, 2 CMB16D for RF and plan to add the new DMX adapter for RGB lights and strings. I will remove about half, if not more of the AC driven controllers. I'm guessing I need to add another universe for the CCR's and use my current USB485B for the rest? Do I get an Isolator adapter?

And is the iDMX seen as a controller with the ability to control 512 channels? If so, will this be in its own universe or will I need additional "dongle" adapter/convertor? Same question for the new DMX adapter?

Cracker wrote:

I was actually thinking about this so seems like the perfect chance to ask a few questions.

First, I’m going to ask a dumb question that I may be answering myself...but going to ask anyways. The whole universe/dongle thing. Is the "dongle" the adapter or convertor (ex USB485B). And the universe is each "dongle" or adapter/ convertor? So if I have two USB485B, then I would have two separate universes?

This year I was planning or should I say hoping to covert most to RGB. I already have 6 CCR's, 2 CMB16D for RF and plan to add the new DMX adapter for RGB lights and strings. I will remove about half, if not more of the AC driven controllers. I'm guessing I need to add another universe for the CCR's and use my current USB485B for the rest? Do I get an Isolator adapter?

And is the iDMX seen as a controller with the ability to control 512 channels? If so, will this be in its own universe or will I need additional "dongle" adapter/convertor? Same question for the new DMX adapter?

Okay, now I AM confused. I always thought when folks were referencing "dongles" they were referring to the cord sets that come out of the controllers we connect the lights too(the channle outputs to each light string or decoration in a display).

You know, these things: http://store.lightorama.com/rewigr18.html

So if that's not what a dongle is, could someone please post a photo of what a "dongle" actually is? So I'm not referencing, or calling something incorrectly when I may be explaining something.

Thank you!

A device that attaches to a computer to control access to a particular application. Dongles provide the most effective means of copy protection. Typically, the dongle attaches to a PC's parallel port. On Macintoshes, the dongle sometimes attaches to the ADB port. The dongle passes through all data coming through the port so it does not prevent the port from being used for other purposes. In fact, it's possible to attach several dongles to the same port

Cracker wrote:

Is the "dongle" the adapter or convertor (ex USB485B). And the universe is each "dongle" or adapter/ convertor? So if I have two USB485B, then I would have two separate universes?

The LOR term is "Network", which is analogous to a DMX "Universe".

If you have two USB485B, then each one should be on a separate network. (It would be a bad idea to put both on the same network!)

From the LOR side, an iDMX is a controller that can control up to 512 channels.

On the DMX side, each iDMX controls a DMX universe.

You could have two iDMX on one LOR network, with the ability to control 2 DMX universes, each with 512 channels, but if had this many DMX channels, it would probably be too much data for a single LOR network.