Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM transmitters

scubado

Guest Don Gillespie

These are great the question I have is how do they hook up to your computer my computer sits in my office at the back of my house the show is in the front yard will the EDM transmitt through walls or do you have to have the transmitter outside and run a long cable from the transmitter to your computer? just another dumb question from north of the border

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Young

• stanward

• taybrynn

• scubado

I run mine from inside and its no problem. Goes through the drywall and outside quite a distance.

Ron Amedee wrote:

The EDM will trasmit through lead :shock:

Getting mine soon..All the seasoned vets are raving about it !!!

Are you in a bunker??

MikeH

Guest Don Gillespie

ok we have determined that the EDM will transmitt through walls now the only other question I had was do you hook it up to your computer the same way you would hook up a whole house transmitter I have a small transmitter that cost me 30 bucks I just plug into my headphone jack on my computer and it works fairly well but would like better distance so does the EDM plug into your headphone jack on your computer and work the same way as a whole house transmitter????? :(

I use a splitter on the sound card, one to my speakers the other to my transmitter. I find the sound quality a is a little better. But it could just be my computer.

MikeH

This will be my first year using lightorama. I just got my EDM-LCD-CD-EP today, so excited. I have the soldering all done and the unit powers on. Can anyone tell me where I can get the user manual? I have the FM frequency set that I want. What I need to know is, what are the two dials between the audio inputs?

go join the EDM yahoo group, they have the manuals there. otherwise, you can email them and they will email you a manual. There not much to it. If you still have no luck pm me your email and I"ll email you my EDM manual.

• 2 weeks later...

MikeH wrote:

I use a splitter on the sound card, one to my speakers the other to my transmitter. I find the sound quality a is a little better. But it could just be my computer.

MikeH

The sound quality through the transmitter should sound just as good as sound coming directly through your speakers.

If not it may be in the setup of your audio input levels, or in the quality of the FM receiver you are listening to it with.

Greg

• 5 months later...

My EDM doesn't sound as good as you indicate. The quality is borderline terrible. Even after playing with the adjustments.

I didn't touch the MPX nor the "do not adjust" pot on the board.

The sound is extremely softer than regular radio stations. The users manual says it will sound "a little softer." Mine is much softer.

I have my power level switch set to 10mW and I adjusted the power level pot to half way (figured 5mW should be good).

Manual recommends 50% for the audio levels (L&R).

Greg Young wrote:

MikeH wrote:
I use a splitter on the sound card, one to my speakers the other to my transmitter. I find the sound quality a is a little better. But it could just be my computer.

MikeH

The sound quality through the transmitter should sound just as good as sound coming directly through your speakers.

If not it may be in the setup of your audio input levels, or in the quality of the FM receiver you are listening to it with.

Greg

stanward wrote:

My EDM doesn't sound as good as you indicate. The quality is borderline terrible. Even after playing with the adjustments.

I didn't touch the MPX nor the "do not adjust" pot on the board.

The sound is extremely softer than regular radio stations. The users manual says it will sound "a little softer." Mine is much softer.

I have my power level switch set to 10mW and I adjusted the power level pot to half way (figured 5mW should be good).

Manual recommends 50% for the audio levels (L&R).

Greg Young wrote:
MikeH wrote:

MikeH

Greg

Then I would have it looked at. Something is either not setup correctly, or you have an issue in the audio stage of the unit.

I am listening to mine right now, and it is only a little softer than commercial FM stations. I can increase it to match commercial volumes, but would risk some disortion if I go that route, so I don't bother. I prefer a clean signal...

I switch between a Ramsey 100B, and the EDM unit. Last year was the Ramsey, this year the EDM. Both output RDS.

Good luck with your unit,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Is your EDM connected to the sound card off of your computer? Mine is connected directly off of the sound card of my computer, the green audio out jack. I was thinking I may need to buy a stereo to line-level convertor. But from what you said above, the sound level is something wrong.

I may need to use my Whole House Transmitter this year!

Stan

Wait, the green audio out jack is a line-level. So that couldn't cause the distortion.

I also changed the audio cables, etc. Same sound. Also, the sound quality is the same as my Whole House Transmitter, which is terrible.

Stan, the green out of your computer is way above a line level input, try putting the volume to around 20%? to prevent pre-amp distortion.
the softness is because the the pro radio stations are using audio compresses so they can deliver a consistent volume, much like the night mode on your DVD player.

note - I'm not defending EDM, just making sure you understand what's happening. Heck, I ordered my EDM 3 weeks ago and it's not here yet :(

Jim Saul wrote:

Stan, the green out of your computer is way above a line level input, try putting the volume to around 20%? to prevent pre-amp distortion.
the softness is because the the pro radio stations are using audio compresses so they can deliver a consistent volume, much like the night mode on your DVD player.

note - I'm not defending EDM, just making sure you understand what's happening. Heck, I ordered my EDM 3 weeks ago and it's not here yet :(

I agree with Jim. The green jack on the computer is higher than a line level output. You do need to decrease the volume on the PC to prevent distortion. Also, make sure that your audio files are at a consistent level. I use MP3gain to do this.