Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM transmitters

scubado

I have decided to get an EDM transmitter and was looking at their site. I am undecided on which model to get. It seems the LCD ones are the ones to get. There's one LCD kit in the $140 range depending options and another one in the $225 range depending on options. I don't see a difference in the output power or features to help determine which one to get. Is it best to get an enclosure, or easy to obtain/make one? Do you guys use the temp. wire antenna, the duck antenna or make the 'j' pole antenna?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Young

• stanward

• taybrynn

• scubado

I bought the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP transmitter 2 years ago. Love it. It is their highest quality. I just use the test wire antenna and it is crystal clear, and transmits clearly for 1/4 mile (on the lowest setting). I am glad I got the transmitter enclosure--the transmitter fits snugly in it, and makes the entire unit feel very solid. There are mounting holes on the transmitter enclosure that makes mounting a cinch. I was surprised how small this whole unit it--with enclosure it is a tad bigger than the palm of your hand. The RDS feature is cool. You can either stream titles from your PC running your show or you can set the transmitter to scroll the same text over and over (like I do, since I run my show off of a mini-director and not a computer).

The EDM-LCD-CS-EP was new this past year. I know that there was at least one person here that used it, and their initial reports were fairly positive (literally right when they set it up). I never heard back from them during their show season though about quality reports. Not sure if you saw this blow up on their site of the this model and the description. Also, the black metal is the "enclosure."

EDMLCDCS1.jpg

I use their pre-RDS LCD model from 2008 and it has worked flawlessly. Last year I added a J-pole antenna and it sounds commercial broadcast quality. Five thumbs up!

Bought the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP in 09, using the test antenna, the unit works flawlessly.

I too have a "Pre RDS" LCD model from 08 and it works great. Never had so much as a hickup from it in these last 3 years.
I run mine all year long and listen to it during the summer while mowing and doing yard work. That way I can listen to new songs that I want to sequence a number of times to get used to them before I actually sit down and start the sequencing. Helps a lot for me.
Bill

Ditto. I use EDM LCD model for my home display and have deployed with several commercial displays with great results.

The antenna is always a bigger question mark than the transmitter. I'm still looking for a good supplier of antenna with consistent quality reasonable pricing. Although I do like the Jpoles we got last year from Michael Martens (http://www.jpole-antenna.com) - they are vastly superior to any kit version we've tried and much more reasonable price-wise relative to pro grade radio antennas. I'm no antenna guru, so finding a great supplier is key to me!

George Simmons wrote:

I use their pre-RDS LCD model from 2008 and it has worked flawlessly. Last year I added a J-pole antenna and it sounds commercial broadcast quality. Five thumbs up!

Hey George, do you have extra body parts we don't know about? Guys usually only have three thumbs up! :shock:

Thanks guys for the info. The Ebay one is tempting, but I don't want to get in trouble with it for being to strong. I only need to broadcast 200' and don't want it to sound like crap.

Anyone know how to contact EDM? Their website isn't all that great. I am wanting the EDM-LCD-CS-EP that comes with everything needed and it's out of stock. Wanting to know if they are getting more or discontinued. I could order it w/o the enclosure, but will I have problems finding/modifying an enclosure.

I sent them an e-mail the other day and this was their responce.

Hi Earle,

We are waiting for enclosures from the factory.

We had to change to another factory after the one who supplied us in the past closed down unexpectedly.

That caught us off-guard and we had to scramble to get it manufactured elsewhere.

We hope to have enclosures available in the next 2-3 weeks if everything goes well.

Regards, EDM Sales

I have 3 of the EDM transmitters. I have the "pre RDS LCD" model, and two of the RDS LCD models.

To speak of customer service.....
The first LCD transmitter worked flawlessly in 08. In 09 I decided to get a RDS LCD. Had a couple problems. The first unit the RDS would not transmit. I contacted EDM and they had me send it in for repair. They have a repair place here in the US. I can't remember what state at the moment. Turn around time was quick (about 4 days). The RDS worked as it should when I got it back. After about 2 weeks of operation I unplugged the unit and it would not power back on until after it set for awhile. I contacted them again. They told me it would have to be sent in for repair. This time they sent me a new one the same day I contacted them, so I would not have to wait for the repair. Got it in two days. After the repair was made on the one I sent in they let me know what its problem was. I asked them what they were going to do with it. They offered to sell it to me at a very discounted price.

I say all this just to say their customer service is very good. Yes I did have a couple problems with a unit. All my problems were fixed very quickly (and in the US) and all my emails were answered very quickly. If I needed to buy another transmitter I would buy a EDM.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally bought our transmitter!!! So we went with the EDM-LCD-CS-EP. Figured we don't really need RDS. Last I looked (a couple weeks ago) they still didn't have enclosures... but they do now! Very excited to get it and test it out! :D

I recently ordered an LCD model from EDM as well. I included the RDS feature. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out. Anybody have any history that says how long it'll take to get here? Ordered it about 10 days ago and getting anxious.

Guest wbottomley

Aaron Maue wrote:

I recently ordered an LCD model from EDM as well.  I included the RDS feature.  Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.  Anybody have any history that says how long it'll take to get here?  Ordered it about 10 days ago and getting anxious.

Here's your answer from their site:
We normally ship all single orders not later than 3 business days after payment.
Orders are shipped with a 5-Day service of our choice where possible,
otherwise normal Air-Parcel-Mail. We can also ship International-Express
by courier (expensive) by request, at an additional fee.
Normal delivery time from shipment date: ± 10 working days (Mon-Fri)
Tracking numbers only with Express service

Mountainwxman wrote:

Aaron Maue wrote:
I recently ordered an LCD model from EDM as well. I included the RDS feature. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out. Anybody have any history that says how long it'll take to get here? Ordered it about 10 days ago and getting anxious.

Here's your answer from their site:
We normally ship all single orders not later than 3 business days after payment.
Orders are shipped with a 5-Day service of our choice where possible,
otherwise normal Air-Parcel-Mail. We can also ship International-Express
by courier (expensive) by request, at an additional fee.
Normal delivery time from shipment date: ± 10 working days (Mon-Fri)
Tracking numbers only with Express service
Thanks. Somehow, I missed that when I was on their site.

I own an EDM w/RDS and its been problem free and great sounding. I do run mine with Breakaway sound enhancer for an even better sound. The units are very reliable. Don't let the primitive website scare you off ... its worth every penny.

boys and girls you can count me in the pro edm camp i have mine hooked up to an old dell with a sound blaster sound card iits runing on a 1/4 wave tunable antenna love the way it sounds set up what thay call a KIT only took 10 minutes as far as distance goes lets just say im pleased standing wave ratio is 1.2 to 1 altho the edm will handle 20 to 1 as per their specs to reach this level i only had to climb the ladder twice to tweak the ant. lol of course all this is in the low power setting. one day when i grow up Ill see what it will do on high