Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Editor Intermittently Freezing Up (resolved)

Guest guest

John Pidliskey wrote:

Tom,

If you read the posts, not to sound like a jerk, but I am not using the animation director.

No problem John. I read your posts just fine. But as I have asked in my earlier post, have you tried running the sequence with the "grid movement" off when playing the sequence editor? This can be a problem at times when running a sequence.

I understand it gets frustrating and I've been there myself.

Just trying to help.

Good Luck,

Tom

John Pidliskey wrote:

OK, I'm back, My wife took over the football duties.

I can assure you it has noting to do with the PC or it's software, or temp files.

Reason is, I just completely reloaded this PC specifically for LOR. Reformatted drive, etc.

Guess I will need to bug Dan on this tomorrow. If I take and copy the software to my Personal computer(the song sequence), It runs well under the "demo" version.

This just happened when I installed the Licensed software.....

Does this happen if the sequence has no controllers defined in it? Can you use the hardware utility and communicate to the controller? The big difference between the two versions of the sequence editor is the licensed version can control the hardware. Have you tried installing the licensed version on the other PC and tested the sequence?

I am running mine on a P4 2.2 GHZ laptop 512MEG RAM. I did 4 songs and on the last song i get slow down.

EX when I start the sequence the song plays fine but the lights on the screen don't match up to the song. Then if you stop the show and just play viewable area it all Syncs up.
I have yet to try the final version with the lor boards hooked up thou.

Just out of curiosity, have you saved the file as an animation sequence and tried playing it? I would assume that the sequence should play smooth since it doesn't have to process the audio. Well that is what I am guessing anyhow. Are these mp3 or wav format?

dgiordano wrote:

Just out of curiosity, have you saved the file as an animation sequence and tried playing it? I would assume that the sequence should play smooth since it doesn't have to process the audio. Well that is what I am guessing anyhow. Are these mp3 or wav format?

Playing the audio generally does not affect the smoothness of play in the Sequence Editor. Any jerkeyness to the play back is due to interaction with the display drivers.... Sometimes things like adjusting hardware acceleration will help (usually turning off hardware acceleration is best)....

Now I am not sure why people would have more of a problem with hesitation now vs last year. The software has not changed....

One thing to make sure is that the Hardware Utility is not running and shows are not enabled while you are running the Sequence Editor.

John Pidliskey wrote:

I will need to call Dan.

I tried converting the mp3 file with Audicty with no luck.

Man, this is real bad...

There is not much I will be able to say to you on the phone. I am not at the office just now. My only suggestion is that you turn hardware acceleration off on your display.

As mentioned there is very little difference between the demo version and the production version.

I do not think this has anything to do with the audio file. I actually am not sure what it is at this point.

If you still have the demo version on your machine, does it continue to run Okay without hesitation?

If you bring up the task manager while this is going on, does the CPU go to 100%, is memory usage jumping up?

I know that someone had a problem with Windows Media Player... It kept sucking up more and more memory. They removed WMP and re-installed it and it fixed their problem. If this is happening you will see memory usage jumping up.

greenmeanie wrote:

I am running mine on a P4 2.2 GHZ laptop 512MEG RAM. I did 4 songs and on the last song i get slow down.

EX when I start the sequence the song plays fine but the lights on the screen don't match up to the song. Then if you stop the show and just play viewable area it all Syncs up.
I have yet to try the final version with the lor boards hooked up thou.

This type of behaviour is generally due to the MP3 file being used. Use Audacity to re-encode the file to 128mb constant bit rate or convert it to a wav file.

Thanks Dan -- I'm not sure what's going on either. Last year I'd get slight hesitation, but this year it's enough to make me pull out my hair! Not much changed on that machine, either.

I'll have to do more playing around. Hardware acceleration (tried every setting) didn't help.

-Tim

LightORama wrote:

dgiordano wrote:

Playing the audio generally does not affect the smoothness of play in the Sequence Editor. Any jerkeyness to the play back is due to interaction with the display drivers.... Sometimes things like adjusting hardware acceleration will help (usually turning off hardware acceleration is best)....

I was just wondering, since so many; people including Tim, are having the problem if something in the WMP has changed. Maybe something in one of the security updates or patches Microsoft put out this past year maybe causing some resource issues?

Ok, This is what I found so far.

The only Apps running on the PC is MSwindows XP Professional.

Windows Media Player

LOR

Thats it. Nothing else is loaded on the PC.

When I run the sequence editor and watch the task manager like Dan offered, at the time the sequence freezes, the CPU is at 100%

As the sequence runs normal, the CPU is avg 50%

John Pidliskey wrote:

Ok, This is what I found so far.

The only Apps running on the PC is MSwindows XP Professional.

Windows Media Player

LOR

Thats it. Nothing else is loaded on the PC.

When I run the sequence editor and watch the task manager like Dan offered, at the time the sequence freezes, the CPU is at 100%

As the sequence runs normal, the CPU is avg 50%

I also have found that LOR is unresponsive during this time. If you attempt to click the stop button, nothing happens-- the music keeps playing. But when it gets out of the 'freeze zone' the stop finally takes effect.

Something is causing LOR to be unresponsive to GUI events during these hang-times. I wish I could narrow it down further...

-Tim

I have experienced this also. I will also favor in conclusion that Media player is the problem. I have had other freezing issues when using the latest version of WMP with other uses. Dan's recommendation of verifying that the audio file is NOT using a variable bit rate helps tremendously. Some files I used last year I reprocessed this year to make sure that it was 128k fixed, and solved many issues for me. If the file is variable, then it really fouls things up when playing the visible screen, and the total time on the sequence. I did not have this problem, that I was aware of, last year. I'm glad someone brought this up, as I thought it was because I was using the old 1.4.0 version of sequence editor (lost the newest version with a HDD crash, and I havn't received the new version from tech support yet). Another Microsoft "opportunity" :) Sorry Dan, looks like you are going to be handling alot of support issues on this!

Also, Dan has a very good description of this issue, and how to do this with his support page. Read the information on ripping CD's and preparing MP3 files. The above information is covered in those documents. Only, I wish I read it first before I went about it to figure it out for myself. This may not be the fix-all, but it helps!

>> Bill

I just ran the demo-version on a separate PC. It runs fine and uses less than 10% CPU.

Maybe I'll try Dan's sugestion and run the Demo-version on the problem PC.

If anyone else is running into this problem, please let us know. It could help in isolating the problem and make it much easier for Dan to resolve.

At this point, there is no use even running my show until this gets resolved.

John Pidliskey wrote:

At this point, there is no use even running my show until this gets resolved.

Are you saying that this is happening when running shows scheduled via the schedule editor?