Light-O-Rama Forums

All cut up

BrownOut

I have now separated my Cosmic Color Ribbon into 10 sections with 3" wires between. The silicon is drying now. I have a 5 sided star I am mounting them to. I should be able to zip tie them in the morning. I kind of wish I tested the soldering job before the glue was applied.

Hoping to use this for 4th of July and Christmas.

-Logan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrownOut

• Ron Amedee

• caniac

• TGabriel

Ya I'm not sure I could cut up 200 dollars and then try and tape um back together again. Good luck and yes please post videos

Jeff Millard wrote:

BrownOut wrote:
I have now separated my Cosmic Color Ribbon into 10 sections with 3" wires between...

-Logan

I bow my head in respect, I am not worthy oh great Samarai of CCR Sushi!

I can't wait to see the final result! If you succeeded... ...you are Samarai Master!

Jeff
I agree, if successful then he is the Great Cosmic Jedi! Or would he be Darth BrownOut?

caniac wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
BrownOut wrote:
I have now separated my Cosmic Color Ribbon into 10 sections with 3" wires between...

-Logan

I can't wait to see the final result! If you succeeded... ...you are Samarai Master!

Jeff
I agree, if successful then he is the Great Cosmic Jedi! Or would he be Darth BrownOut?
is that the name of the character in spaceballs

james campbell wrote:

caniac wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:
BrownOut wrote:

-Logan

Jeff
is that the name of the character in spaceballs
hmm, might be. will try and re-watch the movie this weekend and see. I remember Darth Helmet.

Ah yes. Nice cool morning in the mountains of western Carolina. Temp is mid 60s and the birds are singing. Nice cup of hot coffee on the porch and time to test the 10 part ribbon before mounting to the PVC. CRAP! They all come on solid white.

The ends of each ribbon section are labeled (12v) (D) © and (-). I double checked and made sure my connections are correct... they are... sort of. Data travels from left to right if text on ribbon if it is facing you... I have mine exactly every other one reversed because of the way I layed them out on my desk to solder them. The good news is I used LOTS of glue.

EDIT: I now have them all apart again...Grrr.

Attached files 243619=13264-photo 2.JPG

Did you find some matching white wire to solder your CCR peices together? Were you able to find any extra silicone end caps? I also cut up some CCR's, (two to be exact). The last 16 pixels (8 sections of 2 pixels each) of each ribbon will be mounted on an 8-spoked "starburst". The remaining ribbon will be mounted on a vertical post with the starburst at the top. The problems I have had so far: 1 - I initially had two wires crossed and I think it killed one color on one led, all other leds o.k. 2 - I must be flexing the wires that I soldered too much, one broke and I had to repair. Have done a trial on the supports, looks o.k. so far. Looking forward to seeing what you have put together.

I used some of the feed wire between the sections. All pixels are working again and glue is drying again- I didn't use end caps- just glued the crap out of them with silicone. I am trying to decide now if I want a perfect star or slightly bowed out... Let you know in a little while.

Nice! I assume you did all that work so you could have the LEDs facing the crowd. You are a skilled and brave person.

I curious about your star; what size circle could you put in the middle of the star? George built a spiral inside a big circle, was wondering what size spiral would fit inside your star.

Bruce

I am having trouble with some random pixel colors when not in macro mode.
I have made sure LOR network is at a high speed. I have also tried normal settings.

Here is what happens.

I have also tried different controllers and ribbons- same issue. I attached animation file.

Attached files star demo.las

ainsworth wrote:

Nice! I assume you did all that work so you could have the LEDs facing the crowd. You are a skilled and brave person.

I curious about your star; what size circle could you put in the middle of the star? George built a spiral inside a big circle, was wondering what size spiral would fit inside your star.

Bruce
The lights are facing the people. Center is about 21". Each PCV pipe is 60" long. Could make a smiling star with eyes too. :)

-logan

Brownout..I'm changing your sequence to channel one and will run it on my ribbon..Are you using Legacy mode? I'm seeing the red,blue on channel 5 on the seguence at 6 seconds. I'll experiment and get back to you.

Brownout
Got it working !!! Look at 6 seconds and turn off everything, There are a few pixals of red turned on and at 12 seconds multi colored pixals are turned on.
I took the first 6 seconds and looped it 20 times. It even looks good on straight strip!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Brownout
Got it working !!! Look at 6 seconds and turn off everything, There are a few pixals of red turned on and at 12 seconds multi colored pixals are turned on.
I took the first 6 seconds and looped it 20 times. It even looks good on straight strip!!
Did you get some blue and red pixels like I did? Or did you have to change something?

Watch the 10 and 11 pixel area of your CCR if you don't mind.

Getting ready to cut apart two more ribbons today. Making another pair of arches out of one, and a smiling moon out of the other to go with my star. May use a couple individual pixels to make the star smile. The moon slice looks more like a banana right now.

Thanks- Logan