Light-O-Rama Forums

Lighted Christmas Angel for the yard

TJ Hvasta

One of my wife's friends found this.. cant remember if she was actually there, or saw it online, but the town is Defuniak, FL.. supposedly most of the town (or neighborhoods), dude up thier houses, for some unknown reason.. make it all sparkly and such :D anyway, the pic was sent to my wife, so now she wants one in the yard.. snow princess theme or something like that..

Manequin for the body, 1/2" pvc for the skirt ribs, icicle lights under the netting for the dress.. looks easy enough to do... the wife want to know if I can put it on a turntable, so she goes around (ballerina-style).. told her cant do it because of the cord for the icicle lights, would wrap as it went around.. would be nice to do tho, unless I did battery powered icicles..

Attached files 243386=13250-Angel in DeFuniak.JPG

Hi Bob.. dont know how I can use that with the wiper motor at the center of a plywood turntable (pivot point).. I thot abt using slip rings, but would still have to fit around the wiper motor spindle. Thanks for the link tho.. I'll look at each and see if any would work.

TJ,
also you can do a search for "slip rings". Here on the forum, Toymaker made his own, for his santa, and sleigh, that spin around on his roof...

edit:
You type fast...

Yes, I am quick. . just ask the wife.. er.. um... did I type that out loud? :/

Thanks for the slip ring info.. I told the wife I'll have to seatch the world, high and low for a manequin, cheap.. which i know it wont be, she may have to be content with just having one, and I'll make it rotate next year..

Nice... I remember seeing this page for halloween props.. using the arm to make a FCG.. would work for a Santa, small sled... slip rings on the center post look like a good idea..

Hey TJ,
if she is ok with your lights, and is even encouraging you to up the ante, go for it! Make that baby twirl, sing, dance, whatever she wants.

Even if it is all girlie and not most of our cup o beer, think of the more lights/controller points you will earn if you make this thing scream girlie girl glitterness! :cool:

as a famous waterboy once said, "Yooooou can DOOOOOOO IT......"

Slip rings can be expensive if you wnat more than one channel. But last year LOWES had a Rotating Christmas tree base (one channel) and at the end of the season it went for $10.00 but the regular price was $99.00

These 4 bolt flange units could also be helpful.

http://stores.ebay.com/USA-Bearings-and-Belts/4-Bolt-Flange-Units-/_i.html?_fsub=125746015&_sid=431838375&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

If you make it with wheels that touch the ground, it could hold a real person.
They could hold still, then jump up and scare the kids...

I've got the swivel bases already.. from HD.. I used Lazy Susan plates.. were abt $6 each.. I got them for my ice skating bears.. so the swivel plates are covereed.. it transfering the 120v from base to doll I gotta figure out.. =)

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Yeah those bases are really cool I have one for my tree. I dont know if it would hold that whole thing though.
got two years worth of use out of ours before it was off to the dump, shorted out ALOT.

you could figure out a way to light underneath with some sort of LED narrow spot/flood. multiple colors underneath and maybe only one channel of something on the mannequin. I would think with a little creativity it might look really cool. just have to hide the floods, another option is strobes.

caniac wrote:

you could figure out a way to light underneath with some sort of LED narrow spot/flood. multiple colors underneath and maybe only one channel of something on the mannequin. I would think with a little creativity it might look really cool. just have to hide the floods, another option is strobes.

Good point, with all the DC lighting out, you don't really need 120V on top...

You could place a controller under her.

Use an ELL to send signals to the controller.

Now shhhhh I don't want my wife to see that and have me make one.

PaulXmas wrote:

You could place a controller under her.

Use an ELL to send signals to the controller.

Now shhhhh I don't want my wife to see that and have me make one.
we will keep this a secret, I would be in the same boat only she would want it to be some Peanuts character.

OK, so we have an ELL, DC controller, Servodog, 12V car battery (charge during the day) some CCB's, Rainbow floods, servos to make the wings move...
I think we can bypass the slip ring?:P