Light-O-Rama Forums

Thriller

caniac

Actionp wrote:

Check out Daves pumpkin at Holiday coro. Go to the Halloween section

http://www.holidaycoro.com/

Thanks!

We offer a computer designed and manufactured Singing Pumpkin (with optional chorus) that is super simple to setup using the instructions that can be found here:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/docs/Animated%20Character%20and%20Sign%20Assembly%20Instructions.pdf

You can see a sample of one of the three included, pre-sequenced songs for LOR S2 (Thriller, Ghostbusters and Monster Mash) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPw2A&hl=en&fs=1

This allows you to build fairly quickly at around the same price as a PVC based frame but with absolutely perfect bulb spacing using standard mini lights (LED or incandescent). A great way to add professional looking Halloween animation with just a few hours work.

Additional information at:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/HW-Characters.asp

Thank you,
David
HolidayCoro.com

• 2 weeks later...

TJ Hvasta wrote:

What I used..

Main face: 6' x 6' 1/2" pvc, with med gauge cow pen fencing 2"x3" grids, ziptied to the frame.. then 7 sections of rope light, 2 for the eyes.. bottom lid, upper lid (to blink) and 5 sections for the mouth, basically vowel sounds..

Chorus faces (3): 4' x '4 frame, also 2" x 3" cow fencing, same 7 sections of rope light.

I got my rope light from Creative Lighting.. 150' roll of orange 13mm, $55. I made 4 faces, the 1 large, and 3 small faces

Monster mash:

Thriller:

In the Thriller video, the lighting is a little brighter so you can see the framing against the garage wall, also with the strobe flashes it's visable.
how hard is it to cut and put ends on the rope light?

dmoore wrote:

Actionp wrote:

Thanks!

We offer a computer designed and manufactured Singing Pumpkin (with optional chorus) that is super simple to setup using the instructions that can be found here:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/docs/Animated%20Character%20and%20Sign%20Assembly%20Instructions.pdf

You can see a sample of one of the three included, pre-sequenced songs for LOR S2 (Thriller, Ghostbusters and Monster Mash) here:

This allows you to build fairly quickly at around the same price as a PVC based frame but with absolutely perfect bulb spacing using standard mini lights (LED or incandescent). A great way to add professional looking Halloween animation with just a few hours work.

Thank you,
David
HolidayCoro.com

I bought one of these from you and let me say it was very easy to put the lights to it. Had to make a small adjustment to music/sequence but otherwise it worked out well. Do you plan to make any 3/4 size pumpkins to use as backup/chorus singers?

MikeH

MikeH wrote:

dmoore wrote:
Actionp wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you,
David
HolidayCoro.com

I bought one of these from you and let me say it was very easy to put the lights to it. Had to make a small adjustment to music/sequence but otherwise it worked out well. Do you plan to make any 3/4 size pumpkins to use as backup/chorus singers?

MikeH

I had not considered it since I though that most would just use the plastic pumpkins with a C9 light or something along that line. That seems like it would be cheaper and have a 3D effect.

For halloween what we are planning to work on is additional singing skulls and "monster" faces.

Cracker wrote:

Just as TJ stated.

I used 3/4" PVC as the frame with a cross support inside. After the frame was built, I spray paint it to match the color of my house. Then tie-wrap 2x4" wire fencing which comes in 5ft x 50 and 100ft rolls. I believe the fencing can be found at both Lowes and HD. I layout the rope light and secure it to the fencing with small tie-wraps. I prefer 3/8" rope as it's easier to bend and just as bright as 1/2". I glued everything and store as is in my shed. I’ve seen others not glue so it can be taken apart for storage.

My main face is 8x8ft and the others are 6x6ft. Because the main face was too big to fit in my shed, I cut it between the mouth and eyes. I use hardware to reconnect.

i noticed in the video that the house gets "washed" with what looks like black light, was that a black light flood or blue?

also toying with "light tubes" like the ones in your display (8-channels each). how were those made?

Caniac,

If you refering to my video...I used Orange, Red & Blue Floods. No Blacklight.

The "Light Tube" I think are being called "Firesticks". Someone can correct me on that. In any case, I used 1" PVC, cut it into 1 ft sections and wraped 100ct clear strings around each. I then slid 8 of them over a 1/2" metal pole, leaving about 3" of the metal sticking out the top. I drove a 2ft piece of rebar into the ground leaving about a foot sticking out. I place the metal pole over the rebar with the 1 ft light sections and tied black string with a hook and connected it to the top and fasten to the ground with stakes at 3 points. Keeps it straight up and secure.

Cracker wrote:

Caniac,

If you refering to my video...I used Orange, Red & Blue Floods. No Blacklight.

The "Light Tube" I think are being called "Firesticks". Someone can correct me on that. In any case, I used 1" PVC, cut it into 1 ft sections and wraped 100ct clear strings around each. I then slid 8 of them over a 1/2" metal pole, leaving about 3" of the metal sticking out the top. I drove a 2ft piece of rebar into the ground leaving about a foot sticking out. I place the metal pole over the rebar with the 1 ft light sections and tied black string with a hook and connected it to the top and fasten to the ground with stakes at 3 points. Keeps it straight up and secure.
thanks your the greatest!! Made my 3/4 frames this week for the "faces" and will get them covered with cattle wire. within the next two weeks i will be playing with rope light and trying not to electrocute myself in the process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You should -not- glue the pvc frame together.. friction fit is more than tight enough to hold it, and zip-tying the fencing to the pvc will keep the sections together too, so save the $$ and lung tissue and skip the glue..

If you're going to do a single face, then getting the incand rope light from Lowes or HD is fine, if you're going to do several faces, buy the roll from a company as the 150' roll I bought, -just- make 4 faces (1 large, 3 smaller).. I also wouldnt use LED rope as it'd really be too bright and directional.. you'd have to make sure the led's point toward the front.

caniac wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:
What I used..

Main face: 6' x 6' 1/2" pvc, with med gauge cow pen fencing 2"x3" grids, ziptied to the frame.. then 7 sections of rope light, 2 for the eyes..  bottom lid, upper lid (to blink) and 5 sections for the mouth, basically vowel sounds..

Chorus faces (3): 4' x '4 frame, also 2" x 3" cow fencing, same 7 sections of rope light.

I got my rope light from Creative Lighting.. 150' roll of orange 13mm, $55. I made 4 faces, the 1 large, and 3 small faces

Monster mash:

Thriller:

In the Thriller video, the lighting is a little brighter so you can see the framing against the garage wall, also with the strobe flashes it's visable.

how hard is it to cut and put ends on the rope light?

It was easy enough.. I used linemans pliers/diagonal cutters to cut the rope light.. the company I got mine from had markings every 32".. try to find rope with 18" cut markings.. easier to work with really..

cut the rope light, use the included plug to slip over the cut end, pushing the prongs firmly into the wires embedded in the plastic rope (takes just a little doing). Plug in the rope to test, ensuring the connector really is embedded into the wires (you cant get shocked).. WITH THE ROPE LIT, zip it in place (lit makes it warm, more pliable, and ensures it's working) on the pvc frame. Included connectors: terminators that plug into wall outlet/extension; butt connectors to join rope together (boo-boos); and terminating caps.

• 7 months later...

TJ Hvasta wrote:

What I used..

You bought the orange roll ? I'm debating between the clear color. Is orange more neutral if you're using CCRs and RGB strips ? Also, did you do 12v or 120v ?

I ordered the clear 3/8 120v Rope light for my faces from action lighting. They were quick to ship and I prefer the clear, I may use these scary faces for xmas. Again borrowing from crackers xmas video.

Grant