Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! No status led.

johnathanriddle

dietrichdr wrote:

Since the voltage regulators were installed correctly as you said in #16 then it had to be the capacitors reversed, since they modulate the power flow.

Modulate the power flow? That makes no sense...:shock:

Assuming you are talking about the two electrolytics, they are filters...modulation has nothing to do with power supplies and whatever you might define as "power flow".

Lets let Johnathan answer if he chooses...would assume he'll know what his friend found.

not talking about the electrolytics, you can clearly see that they are installed correctly. I was referring to the ceramic caps C0 and C1. Looking at the photos they appear to be reversed ie c0 in c1's spot.

I hope Johnathan does tell what he found

dietrichdr wrote:

not talking about the electrolytics, you can clearly see that they are installed correctly. I was referring to the ceramic caps C0 and C1. Looking at the photos they appear to be reversed ie c0 in c1's spot.

I hope Johnathan does tell what he found

Please enlighten all of us and explain how power flow is modulated...

Not saying he didn't have caps in the wrong place, or some other error in parts placement..if you read the string, we all suggested a variety of things to check...no matter how many boards you have built, its easy to make an error.

But your use of terms is what is concerning, as a lot of people look to learn from this board, and if your offered explanation makes no sense, it helps no one.

johnathanriddle wrote:

Thanks, I'll post pictures soon, I just haven't got a chance yet. None of the points listed above get hot. However I realized the processor itself (u2). Gets really hot within a few seconds of it being plugged in.

I might just go ahead and send it into them, if i cant figure it out in a few days. I've checked for bridges over and over again and still can't find anything.

You know how sometimes you read into something that is not there? Well I was not paying attention and missed this. So I am wrong. You all are right, sleep well addicts.

So rather than point me to a link that that you think has anything to do with the problem with the board, or even explains your "theory", I'd rather you enlighten me in your own terms and words.

Explain..how power flow is modulated, as you first stated, and how "incorrect capacitance" would cause the overheating issue.

My recommendation is you, at minimum, attempt to impress me with relevant links...this one relates to power systems, as in..power transmission systems...

I've hired (and fired..) plenty of engineers in my career...so save your "I can answer any question via google" for someone else.

So..we're all waiting to be educated..have at it.

Yea, well its early for you, its getting late here...I'm halfway thru building another controller as I learn about power flow modulation, but I need all the beauty sleep I can get...:P

Well Don

All you need to know is that the "Magic Smoke" is out or in and it works or it does not work.

You very well may have fired me when I worked in Fl.
Some bosses don't like more intelligent people working for them.

Please refer to #29
There is nothing I can say to convince you of anything so we are done. Fold your arms at someone else.

Oy Vey,

This has been a laugh to read. dietrichdr, my best advice to you is to accept that you through out a [Foul Language Used] load of gobbly gook with a heaping of snake oil. If you really believe the stuff you wrote. I am sorry to inform you that you are delusional. By the way, if the cap is on the Vin line and I am not sure which of two lines this might be referencing to. So if we are talking about the V+ that powers the chip, then the cap is attempting to keep any noise from entering the chip via the power source. And if the chip is on a signal in line, then it is either an attenuator or once again trying to shunt an A.C. noise to ground. A Varactor is the only cap that can modulate that I know of.