Light-O-Rama Forums

Projected Timeframe on new DMX?

paulanator

So since no new info was even mentioned at the Expo and the summer sale is just around the corner, if we are looking into getting into DMX this season, I guess the iDMX is what we are going to have to get, right?

Not upset, just want to know how to budget my purchasing for new equipment this year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jabbusch

• paulanator

• zman

• SteveMaris

I did inquire, and Dan said "About a month" on the new dmx. It wasnt carved in stone, but he did sound pretty firm in saying they would be out before "the season"

I have never owned an iDMX, but from the looks of it, it wouldnt be a big deal to sequence with the iDMX in mind and update to the " whatever dongle" when it came out.

Its convincing enough for me to order a couple dmx devices I have been waiting on.

• 1 month later...

This is my first year for DMX, I have the light I want to use, but still waiting. I just don't want to spend the money on iDMX when the new product is coming.

We still have a bit of time before it becomes a rush to get things working.

• 3 weeks later...

I am afraid I might have to do the same thing, bite the bullet and get the iDMX unit.

Still waiting, but not sure when/if this thing is coming.

Since this is my first year at having DMX, it is going to be a challenge. I really need to have the DMX running so I can see what this light can do, and how to control it.

I remember the same issues when the iDMX first came out. It was very late that season as well. I got one to play with but could not use it till the following season.

The fact that S3 is running late is going to limit it's use for this season as well. I love LOR for the products and service, but the rollouts........... always seems to be tardy.

Outside of the cost factor, you will have plenty of life with the iDMX.

I might have to bite the bullet too when the iDMX goes on sale. I need all my DMX stuff up and running for Halloween and I'd like a little time to monkey around with it beforehand...

I suppose at this point any hope for DMX dongle for this season is dead :P

I'm not going to get on a soap box aobut who said what would be ready when - I think the LOR folks work really hard. Unfortunately for me, I think most of the efforts went to areas I dont currently use.

SuperStar Squence editor, CCF's and CCB's, new board designs. And I'm sure there are tons of unforseen challenges in releasing new hardware and software.

Sadly, I went and bought a handfull of DMX elements, ( my fault, I should have waited till I knew DMX support was here), and since I'm hell bent on NOT buying an iDMX, I have to keep that stuff in storage for another year, or change software to something that will talk to the Enttec dongle I bought.

Its a lousy decision to have to make.

But I have a wonderfull wife (who cuts me plenty of slack for keeping up with this hobby) an incredibly curious happy healthy 2 year old, and a good job

All things considered, there are worse problems to have in life.

Gizmomkr,

There is a way to make it work in the meantime with version S2 of the software. I got a DMX dongle from RJ over at DIY Christmas Design. It's a board only, so you need to be a hobbyist and put it in a case and stuff. Then you program the sequences with LOR. Save them, then use a program called Xlight that reads various formats of sequences and plays them. I have my DMX stuff programmed starting at channel 129 and above. Take a little bit to get going, but seems to work. I built a coro snowflake using RGB lights and 5 - 3 channel DMX controllers. I too am hoping to get version S3 and the LOR DMX controller, but till then I'm working with what I got :) I've put the link to the DMX dongle I bought below. I think it was $30.

http://shop.martinxmas.com/product.php?id_product=41

• The topic was locked