• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jabbusch

• paulanator

• zman

• SteveMaris

Cracker wrote:

Will the USB to DMX adapter a better choice than having the microcontroller in the iDMX do the processing? I use a rather older laptop (5 yrs old) for my shows and I'm right at the point of purchasing an iDMX, but I will wait if the USB to DMX adapter will be better...but not if it requires me to upgrade my laptop due to lack of my CPU. Timeframe would be great too becasue I need to start testing soon.

Based on watching CPU usage while outputting to multiple DMX dongles (the smart kind like Dan is hinting at), it isn't more impactive than the LOR protocol.

Rather than worrying about CPU, I'd be more worried about how many USB ports you have and how much RAM you can use. Most 5 year old laptops maxed at 2GB. If you have less, especially if only 512MB, you need to worry about memory more than CPU.

ps - it isn't LOR S2 that I was running, but a recent version of XXXXX.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been viewing the forums much lately, but after a cursory search I do not find any further mention of the new DMX product or its anticipated release date: does anyone have any updated information?

Thanks,

John

I think LOR is going to have a lot to talk about at the upcoming Christmas Expo at the end of the month. I would suspect a lot of info flowing once that show gets rolling. :shock:

Well okay zman; I was not familiar with that expo, but evidently it will be in Gatlinburg at the end of June, assuming that's the same event. Have you attended the expo previously?

Thanks for the information!

John

Following the introduction of the new DMX product, will the current iDMX 1000 be immediately discontinued, an EOL date announced or will LOR continue to manufacture and support the iDMX 1000 indefinitely?

Heard anything?

John

jabbusch wrote:

Following the introduction of the new DMX product, will the current iDMX 1000 be immediately discontinued, an EOL date announced or will LOR continue to manufacture and support the iDMX 1000 indefinitely?

Heard anything?

John

I would expect the iDMX to be available for a while as it has been hinted that would still be the solution for those running non-PC based shows such as using an mP3Director...

Terry, thanks for your input; that certainly seems logical. I ask because I have yet to play with the DMX controllers and have been considering a purchase of the iDMX1000 so I can begin experimenting. However, if Dan and company will make the new device available, as opposed to announcing availability, at the end of this month I may wait until then.

Thanks again!

John

I see the iDMX being viable for time if you have one already. It will always support DMX512.

John, if there is anyone around your area that has an iDMX, borrow it to play with DMX.

I think the advantage in the new DMX solution for LOR is going to be the support of E1.31.

Again, there will be a lot of announcement I am sure at the Christmas Expo in Gatlinburg.

zman wrote:

I see the iDMX being viable for time if you have one already. It will always support DMX512.

John, if there is anyone around your area that has an iDMX, borrow it to play with DMX.

I think the advantage in the new DMX solution for LOR is going to be the support of E1.31.

Again, there will be a lot of announcement I am sure at the Christmas Expo in Gatlinburg.

Zman,

Thanks again for your input; the support for the new standard may be the deciding factor for me. I thought of perhaps borrowing a unit but it seems unlikely now that I'll purchase the iDMX 1000 since we're reportedly close to an announcement regarding the new DMX product; unless the announcement is to inform us of a future release date for the new product.

I would love to attend an expo of the sort you mentioned, but we’re booked for projects out into September: good news of course but not much time for recreational travel.

I’ve never worked with the DMX equipment but it looks like it could be fun and I'm looking forward to some DMX experimentation!

Thanks!

John

John,

I have a DMX How-To on my website, and am revamping that material as I was asked to present DMX at Expo. The material on my sight now, is WAY more in-depth than what will be shown at Expo. I have other material that emphasizes DMX/LOR as well.

zman wrote:

John,

I have a DMX How-To on my website, and am revamping that material as I was asked to present DMX at Expo. The material on my sight now, is WAY more in-depth than what will be shown at Expo. I have other material that emphasizes DMX/LOR as well.

zman,

I'll probably give that a look if I can get a bit caught up on projects. I have purchased a couple of books on the topic but any useful information is always welcome, thanks for your efforts to share.

John

John, If you can take the books back for a refund, my material will be more advantageous for you in terms of Christmas lights.

If you really want to get beyond what is needed for a Holiday Display, about the only book I suggest to augment what I have put together is this:

http://ww4.usitt.org/sightlines/v48/n09/stories/DMX.html

It is $8 and packed full of info. DMX is always going to be the gateway to bigger and better things for our displays, but IMHO, the study needs to be practical not theory. Meaning you will get more out of touching and executing DMX than reading about it.

zman wrote:

John, If you can take the books back for a refund, my material will be more advantageous for you in terms of Christmas lights.

If you really want to get beyond what is needed for a Holiday Display, about the only book I suggest to augment what I have put together is this:

http://ww4.usitt.org/sightlines/v48/n09/stories/DMX.html

It is $8 and packed full of info. DMX is always going to be the gateway to bigger and better things for our displays, but IMHO, the study needs to be practical not theory. Meaning you will get more out of touching and executing DMX than reading about it.

zman,

I just ordered the guide. Thanks again!

John

Comon - who's a the expo, whats the word. the supense is killing me. I'll be there tomorrow, but I just cant wait - anyone there talked to the LOR folks. DMX, S3 demo's. geez I sound like a heroin addict