Light-O-Rama Forums

Projected Timeframe on new DMX?

paulanator

I have a new DMX device, and I have not done any programming on it yet, I was going to wait for the new version that has been mentioned to replace iDMX.

Can we get an approximate time frame when it will be available?

I just did not want to spend the money on iDMX if this new fandangled way is going to be better and out in summer. If it is going to be really late in the year, I will just have to go with iDMX, so I can figure it all out by November.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jabbusch

• paulanator

• zman

• SteveMaris

I missed the mention that there would be a new I-DMX, can anyone point me to the thread it is in?
Thanks

And not a new iDMX, but rather a USB to DMX adapter to work with LOR. This way your computer CPU is computing all the frame intensities, instead of a microcontroller in the iDMX.

Meaning if you are using a mini director, you would still need to use the IDMX.
My question would then be:
How much computer do you need to run the show?

SteveMaris wrote:

Meaning if you are using a mini director, you would still need to use the IDMX.
My question would then be:
How much computer do you need to run the show?

Good question. Now we wait for the answer.

-klb- wrote:

And not a new iDMX, but rather a USB to DMX adapter to work with LOR. This way your computer CPU is computing all the frame intensities, instead of a microcontroller in the iDMX.

Will the USB to DMX adapter a better choice than having the microcontroller in the iDMX do the processing? I use a rather older laptop (5 yrs old) for my shows and I'm right at the point of purchasing an iDMX, but I will wait if the USB to DMX adapter will be better...but not if it requires me to upgrade my laptop due to lack of my CPU. Timeframe would be great too becasue I need to start testing soon.

I too have been buying a lot of RGB DMX devices and I await the new DMX adapter. I have more computers than I need so I feel this adater will meet my needs. I just need the time frame and cost.

Cracker wrote:

-klb- wrote:

Will the USB to DMX adapter a better choice than having the microcontroller in the iDMX do the processing? I use a rather older laptop (5 yrs old) for my shows and I'm right at the point of purchasing an iDMX, but I will wait if the USB to DMX adapter will be better...but not if it requires me to upgrade my laptop due to lack of my CPU. Timeframe would be great too becasue I need to start testing soon.

Too early to tell unfortunately. It will take some user testing to get some answers. At least, I expect that the USB adapter will be under $75, and if you are only looking at one universe of DMX, it probably does OK on not much more than the minimum LOR requirements. T

Was there a mention of a smaller DMX dongle device that provide 16 channels or something being kicked around? That would be nice for some of these DMX devices that cannot be re-assigned channel numbers.

If you plan to use a PC to run your show I would hold off on the purchase of an iDMX1000.... We are a couple of months off on the release of a less expensive alternative for PC driven shows... There will be a version that will not rely on the PC for Frame Timing.

Dan

I've asked this question already, but will direct it towards the lor staff...

Is the only difference between the iDMX and the new adapter is that you use a PC to run it? Any other differences? Pro/Cons?

I'm kinda in a tough spot because I have some new DMX items and I want to test them soon. Don't really want to wait 2 to 3 months cause that is pushing my schedules if it doesnt work out. And I don’t want to get the iDMX if the better choice for my needs is the new adapter. Decisions Decisions. Probably stupid question...Anyone in SoCA have an iDMX that can rent to me for a few days? I break...I buy.