Light-O-Rama Forums

lost one side of 16chnl lor!!!

Guest guest

hellllpppp!

for some reason i lost one side of my 16 chnnl 30 amp controller. i very confident i'm not over the 20a max even when all on mode is going. its out of the direct weather, and i've got the 20amp 250volt fast acting fuses in! the power light is on and i replaced a fuse but nothing! the other side is working and ive not had a problem up to this point. i did create an all on sequence last knight but it ran fine last night as well. im confused!!!

joe dennny

thanks doug,

the one side is on and the other is not, i fgures it was a power problem from a dedicated 20amp gfi outlet so when i plug my cord in it would blow a gfi breaker, then i figured i was over driving the cord *(12gauge/15amp) so i went to lows just now and bought a 10g/20a cord and every time i turn on my show it blows the gfi to that one side like im over driving it but im pretty sure im not, i even unplugged a few things to make sure and it still pops the gfi outlet, its worked fine up to tonight. i know the fuses are good cause one side will start then it will shut it down.

thanks again

joe

GFI's don't trip due to overcurrent, they trip due to current leakage, usually due to moisture.

Somewhere in the display items fed by those 8 channels is a ground fault. The GFCI will trip until it's cleared (e.g. things dry out). There have been a number of good threads in the "Lights Lights Lights" forum about GFCI issues and how to prevent them.

-Tim

Are GFCIs recommended for use with LOR products? I plan to keep my controllers in the garage so there's no chance of moisture, but the lights will still be out in the snow so it seems like a GFCI would be a good idea. Your thoughts?

It's not likely moisture-related to your LOR controllers, it's moisture (and the current leakage) out in your display. I'd almost guarantee that you would have the same GFI tripping without LOR involved.

And, yes, I think GFI is recommended for everything outdoors even though it can be very annoying at times.

The other day, I had a board keep tripping the Breaker. So-I went into the Utilty panel for that board (Which was #1) I un-checked all the channels, then turned the lights on. I then added a channel every 5-10 seconds until it tripped the breaker. I then went out and fixed the channel that was given me problems. I am sure I looked stupid out there with a hair dryer- drying out the plug.