Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Tomato Cages

Guest guest

RaceMedic wrote:

DonFL wrote:
Wrapping the wire is a pain in the a**, so all for saving some time if two staggered/stacked cages will do it.

I found that if you do not use the wire mesh that the bulbs can fold inwards and are less visible to the viewing.

By using the wire it helps to keep the bulbs flush with the surface of the mini tree or pointing out.

Few pics here .... http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/minitree

My 2c worth !

Dave

P.S. To add .... There are 200 LEDs per tree !

That IS the one thing I like about the mesh...but still, for the time it takes to wrap the mesh (at least the way I did it..probably not the most efficient way), I'm ready to take my chances without it, and do double cages, to get the 6-8 vertical supports.

Nice thing is, I'll have some both ways to do a solid side by side comparison..no change to light quantity, simply, two cages, and no wrap, for each tree this year.

caniac wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
DonFL wrote:
.Yea, ok, might have been just a bit of overkill..;)

Overkill??? 

Is there such a thing for this hobby?!?!?!?!

My (9) 5' minis will have 600 lights each...150 of each color of Red, Green, Blue and White...

for a total of 5400 BEAUTIFUL TWINKLING AND SHIMMERING LIGHTS!!!

I say long live OVERKILL!!!!    :shock:
I agree, I get satisfaction out of having the neighbors go "WTF"!!  If I don't get that reaction then I am not doing my job!

Mine always say, "You're adding MORE?!?!?!"

added more led's and now they look much better!!

imawlkr2 wrote:

I initially thought of tomato cages when doing my trees last year but had a box of pvc fittings and pipe left over from a job. Turned out real nice. They are about 3' tall with garland for daytime and 100ct white lights. I am making two 4' and two 5' trees for this year. Painted the frame black for the final assembly.

I did the same thing you did by using 1/2" PVC. It cost about $10 per tree but they are very sturdy. One difference is I didn't put two vertical pieces in the back. I figured people won't see the back of the trees and it allowed me to put those lights in the front so I used less lights than I otherwise would have. I plan on putting garland around them to make them look better in the daytime. Each tree has 420 LED lights and they are very bright at night.

Attached files 247056=13446-IMAG0299.jpg

Updated photo's of my mini trees with MORE lights!!

MiniV4_002.jpg

MiniV4_001.jpg

caniac wrote:

Updated photo's of my mini trees with MORE lights!!

did you forget to attach the photos?

whoops...now I see them...

Amazn1, any chance you could post more pics. of your trees. I like the idea of using pvc. Maybe some dimensions too.

Thanks!

Ed Slonka Jr wrote:

Amazn1, any chance you could post more pics. of your trees. I like the idea of using pvc. Maybe some dimensions too.

Thanks!

Sure, no problem. The tree is 30" tall. The base pieces are 7" and connected with (8) 30 degree connectors. I also used (6) T connectors to connect the (6) vertical pieces. I drilled a holes at the top each vertical piece and connected them together with zipties.

Attached files 247506=13469-LOR2.jpg

A second shot. I didn't worry too much about getting the bottom painted.

Attached files 247507=13471-LOR3.jpg

Thanks Amazn1 for the pics and measurements. I like those better than cages.