Light-O-Rama Forums

Tomato Cages

Guest guest

I remain envious of how cleanly you wrap the plastic chicken wire...I said a lot of inappropriate (but well deserved..:)) things to that chicken wire while making trees last year...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• jimswinder

• lightzilla

• Amazn1

DonFL wrote:

I remain envious of how cleanly you wrap the plastic chicken wire...I said a lot of inappropriate (but well deserved..:)) things to that chicken wire while making trees last year...

Everyone has their way of doing things. Double cages will do you just fine. It will give you a round look compared to the 3 ribbed cages......now you have 6 ribs. If you are using 300 lights per tree or so then hardly a zip tie would be used providing the first string is secured well.

Of course wrapped in green garland would be an added bonus.

It actually went on pretty easy.. I rolled each cage, trimmed the plastic into a cone, and zip tied iron just a couple places on each rib.. hardest thing was cutting the wedges in the top so it would roll closed at the top.. trying the wire version this summer I hope it goes as easy.. one thing im sure of, when the wire gets bent into place it'll stay formed better than the plastic wire..

teege

I initially thought of tomato cages when doing my trees last year but had a box of pvc fittings and pipe left over from a job. Turned out real nice. They are about 3' tall with garland for daytime and 100ct white lights. I am making two 4' and two 5' trees for this year. Painted the frame black for the final assembly.

Attached files 242638=13210-trees.jpg

caniac wrote:

is there a particular garland i need to use if it is for an outside display?

yes...outdoor garland... :P

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

what kinda price is a good price? should i look online?

caniac wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
caniac wrote:

what kinda price is a good price? should i look online?
not knowing your financial situation...don't know if I could answer that...

I ALWAYS look online first...I did look online after I posted my smartass reply...most garland already has the lights in it...and it was cheap...about $50 for 9'.

you could always use real tree branches every year...I'm sure the Christmas Tree stands would give you all their extras...

The type Garland depends on your weather.. out here in AZ, we used indoor Garland from walmart or what was already on hand.. it was cheap.. like $8/50' don't spend a lot and don't use lighted Garland it isn't nessessary. You already have the light strings. We put the Garland on after wrapping the trees.. the lights shined thru it fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, thanks for all the advice in this thread. Am on the last of my 10 or so mini-trees and they look great.

caniac wrote:

Once again, thanks for all the advice in this thread. Am on the last of my 10 or so mini-trees and they look great.

Pictures!! We need pictures!!!!

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

Pictures!! We need pictures!!!!
will take some and upload in a few.

Nice!!!!

When can I expect mine to come of the assembly line????

Guest guest

how tall and how many lights (I know that may be mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm lazy...)..?

Guessing 33-36 inch cages, 100 lights..?

DonFL wrote:

how tall and how many lights (I know that may be mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm lazy...)..?

They were 33inch cages but i cut off the bottom and then run 140 of the white lights and 100 of the multi-color. All LED's. Took three or four tries to get it the way i wanted.

Caniac
Come to Louisiana and wrap my 16 for me, When you are finished we'll go to Burbon Street and have a couple dozen drinks to celabrate!!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Caniac
Come to Louisiana and wrap my 16 for me, When you are finished we'll go to Bourbon Street and have a couple dozen drinks to celebrate!!!!
I will need that after 16!! Big thanks though to all you and the pointers on different ways to do this. I am glad version 4.0 turned out ok.

Guest guest

caniac wrote:

DonFL wrote:

They were 33inch cages but i cut off the bottom and then run 140 of the white lights and 100 of the multi-color. All LED's. Took three or four tries to get it the way i wanted.

Interesting..they look good!

I'm trying the dual cage method, as mentioned.

For he trees I did for last year, one cage with chicken wire, I had 100 of each color (RGB) on the 33-36s, doubled that for some 42s, and for a couple huge (56 inch) trees, went 300 per color.

Yea, ok, might have been just a bit of overkill..;)