Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Tomato Cages

is there a particular garland i need to use if it is for an outside display?

caniac wrote:

yes...outdoor garland... :P

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

what kinda price is a good price? should i look online?

caniac wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
caniac wrote:

what kinda price is a good price? should i look online?
not knowing your financial situation...don't know if I could answer that...

I ALWAYS look online first...I did look online after I posted my smartass reply...most garland already has the lights in it...and it was cheap...about $50 for 9'.

you could always use real tree branches every year...I'm sure the Christmas Tree stands would give you all their extras...

The type Garland depends on your weather.. out here in AZ, we used indoor Garland from walmart or what was already on hand.. it was cheap.. like $8/50' don't spend a lot and don't use lighted Garland it isn't nessessary. You already have the light strings. We put the Garland on after wrapping the trees.. the lights shined thru it fine.

Once again, thanks for all the advice in this thread. Am on the last of my 10 or so mini-trees and they look great.

caniac wrote:

Once again, thanks for all the advice in this thread. Am on the last of my 10 or so mini-trees and they look great.

Pictures!! We need pictures!!!!

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

Pictures!! We need pictures!!!!
will take some and upload in a few.

here you go:

Mini2011_004.jpg

and

Mini2011_001.jpg

Nice!!!!

When can I expect mine to come of the assembly line????

Guest guest

how tall and how many lights (I know that may be mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm lazy...)..?

Guessing 33-36 inch cages, 100 lights..?

DonFL wrote:

how tall and how many lights (I know that may be mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm lazy...)..?

They were 33inch cages but i cut off the bottom and then run 140 of the white lights and 100 of the multi-color. All LED's. Took three or four tries to get it the way i wanted.

Caniac
Come to Louisiana and wrap my 16 for me, When you are finished we'll go to Burbon Street and have a couple dozen drinks to celabrate!!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Caniac
Come to Louisiana and wrap my 16 for me, When you are finished we'll go to Bourbon Street and have a couple dozen drinks to celebrate!!!!
I will need that after 16!! Big thanks though to all you and the pointers on different ways to do this. I am glad version 4.0 turned out ok.

Guest guest

caniac wrote:

DonFL wrote:

They were 33inch cages but i cut off the bottom and then run 140 of the white lights and 100 of the multi-color. All LED's. Took three or four tries to get it the way i wanted.

Interesting..they look good!

I'm trying the dual cage method, as mentioned.

For he trees I did for last year, one cage with chicken wire, I had 100 of each color (RGB) on the 33-36s, doubled that for some 42s, and for a couple huge (56 inch) trees, went 300 per color.

Yea, ok, might have been just a bit of overkill..;)

DonFL wrote:

.Yea, ok, might have been just a bit of overkill..;)

Overkill???

Is there such a thing for this hobby?!?!?!?!

My (9) 5' minis will have 600 lights each...150 of each color of Red, Green, Blue and White...

for a total of 5400 BEAUTIFUL TWINKLING AND SHIMMERING LIGHTS!!!

I say long live OVERKILL!!!! :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:
.Yea, ok, might have been just a bit of overkill..;)

Overkill???

Is there such a thing for this hobby?!?!?!?!

My (9) 5' minis will have 600 lights each...150 of each color of Red, Green, Blue and White...

for a total of 5400 BEAUTIFUL TWINKLING AND SHIMMERING LIGHTS!!!

I say long live OVERKILL!!!! :shock:
I agree, I get satisfaction out of having the neighbors go "WTF"!! If I don't get that reaction then I am not doing my job!

Guest guest

I don't really have "neighbors" per se, out here in the boondocks, but those that drove by when the power company was adding the transformer to the front of my property to feed the 200A panel dedicated to lights for the "front front" yard (not to be confused with the "front yard"), may very well have said "WTF?"..

Actually, i think the power company said that when I placed the order and they asked "what is this for?.."..

caniac wrote:

DonFL wrote:

I'm doing just white incandescent ones. You mean to tell me that's 140 LED's on the white one? I don't want to come off the wrong way, but does it look "full" at night? It looks like I might have to do 200 or 300 each foe mine. I'm glad I got to see yours, to compare to.

DonFL wrote:

I don't really have "neighbors" per se, out here in the boondocks, but those that drove by when the power company was adding the transformer to the front of my property to feed the 200A panel dedicated to lights for the "front front" yard (not to be confused with the "front yard"), may very well have said "WTF?"..

Actually, i think the power company said that when I placed the order and they asked "what is this for?.."..
the power companies love us, it's how they pay their bonuses!!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

caniac wrote:
DonFL wrote:

I'm doing just white incandescent ones. You mean to tell me that's 140 LED's on the white one? I don't want to come off the wrong way, but does it look "full" at night? It looks like I might have to do 200 or 300 each foe mine. I'm glad I got to see yours, to compare to.
two 70ct white LED's and it does "appear" full. haven't taken them outside but they look bright in the hallway when i turn out the lights.

True Value in my area has tomato cages for .79 cents each, on sale until the 30th!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

True Value in my area has tomato cages for .79 cents each, on sale until the 30th!
same here, most of the "cost" is in the time and the wire ties but at Christmas it will as they say on HGTV "pop"!!!!

DonFL wrote:

Wrapping the wire is a pain in the a**, so all for saving some time if two staggered/stacked cages will do it.

I found that if you do not use the wire mesh that the bulbs can fold inwards and are less visible to the viewing.

By using the wire it helps to keep the bulbs flush with the surface of the mini tree or pointing out.

Few pics here .... http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/minitree

My 2c worth !

Dave

P.S. To add .... There are 200 LEDs per tree !

caniac wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
caniac wrote:
DonFL wrote:

two 70ct white LED's and it does "appear" full. haven't taken them outside but they look bright in the hallway when i turn out the lights.
Finally took these outside, placed in the front yard where I think they will be and the white one was great, no changes there. will need to add another 100ct to the multi-color, looked splotchy in places.